Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KatieValino

KatieValino Member

Bronies and Non-Bronies

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by KatieValino, Feb 26, 2014.

I am not here to bash them or insult them etc etc

I am raising this as a debate because I wonder if there are any of you on here. I am personally not a fan of the show after watching the first series (with great pain, I won't lie). However, I just went to look up the Lego Movie, and one of the discussions about Unikitty has devolved into an argument between Bronies and non-Bronies.

I do understand both sides, people saying they do not like My Little Pony are entitled to their opinion and people who like MLP are entitled to like it and express that opinion. My question is this:

If you have a genuine liking of the show, and it is purely because you enjoy it and not a way to make a point about society and gender etc, then why is there a genuine need to defend your tastes so much?

If someone does not like the show, then surely you can say, fair enough, rather than feeling the need to jump in and comment on the subtle nuances of the show, how it reflects society and has a lot of adult humour, the need to defend something you enjoy.

I enjoy Harry Potter, as an adult woman, yet I do not feel the need to defend my tastes in Children's Literature, so i am curious to hear from Bronies and people who also like things that might be deemed inappropriate in why this happens so much.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

[​IMG]

This is one of those interesting discussions. I'm of the opinion MLPs are sexist, too much twinkles and eye paint. But I have a friend who swears it's the opposite and there is a positive message for girls there somewhere.

I would love to hear other opinions.

3. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

I like MLP: Friendship is Magic. I'm a Pegasister, albeit all I do is watch the show, I don't draw ponies or blog or anything. I was like "Well, maybe this is worth checking out" and it was!
    There is a good message. Despite the twinkles, it has diverse girl characters. The one who likes fashion actually runs her own clothing store and sews clothes, which is very different from the typical "shopping" stereotype. And the girls have positive friendships and aren't backstabbing or catty. One of them is into science, too. I'm quite tired (it's late over here) so I'll elaborate tomorrow.

Zzzzzzz......

GingerCoffee likes this.
  4. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

I had to google 'bronies'. That's hilarious!

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

What in the hell is a 'bronie'?

Harry Potter in my opinion is neither for children, or literature, really.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

A bronie is an aficionado of My Little Pony. There was a time when bronie meant more specifically guys who dig MLP, but the term has lost that singular meaning and now refers to pretty much anyone who isn't a 9 year old girl and digs MLP.

Lemex likes this.
  7. Lemex

Ah, got you. I'm not aware of why anyone would want to bash or insult them in that the case, there must be something I'm missing. I mean, it's my personal opinion that Harry Potter is the most evil work of fiction in the last 100 years, I wouldn't ever bash a Potter fan for liking it though.

8. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

It's a fandom thing. I have a fanpage on Facebook dedicated to one of the characters from Avatar: The Legend of Korra. I have a modest following. You should see the way people get over small matters of canon and ideologies within the fandom. There are those who feel that the film version of the first series is an utter and complete travesty, not because it was horrible and mutilated the original storyline, but simply because they didn't manage to find an actor to play Zuko who looked exactly like Zuko and also had iridescent golden eyes. For this, there are those ready to dismember the casting director. ;)

9. Lae

Lae Contributing Member Contributor

erm so bronie is someone (an adult) who likes my little pony. Not that im taking the piss or anything but why on earth would an adult watch such shows? are there a lot of them?

i had to watch some kids programs when baby sitting my nephew, it was torture.

10. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Dude, Looney Tunes is amazing.

Trish, Lemex and minstrel like this.
  11. Wreybies

Tons. The phenomenon of fandoming is nothing new, but now it's an economic avenue so it's supported, cons are set up for just this kind of thing where huge amounts of money are spent in the creation because even huger amounts of money can be made off of fans. There are shows on TV now celebrating the world of cosplay and making all of this very mainstream.

http://www.syfy.com/heroesofcosplay

12. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

I wonder what would happen if you asked a Brony who shot first, Han or Greedo?

13. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

If I knew of some middle-aged dude that was into MLP, I would make sure to keep my kids away from him. lol.

14. GingerCoffee

I doubt there's any evidence you could base that assumption on.

15. Lemex

Scooby Doo, too. Everyone loves Scooby Doo.

Or at least, the older episodes.

thirdwind likes this.
  16. Lae

Thats some dedication!! i know of fandom type stuff, a few of my brothers friends argue about which is better etc etc (games are not really my thing) and i know of cosplay from deviantart, its fascinating how much effort these people go to being or playing their idols. I can definitely see the money aspect, as you said lots of cons around for it all. I guess the oldest is the treky ones.

My other question is, would i get thrown out if i went to MLP cosplay dressed as glue? :p

thats a bit harsh!

KatieValino likes this.
  17. Lemex

To be fair, if I saw a grown man wearing a shirt with cartoon horses on it, I'd not exactly want to be sharing my sweets with him any time soon, either. But then again, I am a complete arse.

minstrel likes this.
  18. Lae

Ha if he was wearing a mlp shirt AND handing out sweets then i might query his motives...

19. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

There are some characteristics of pedophiles that often include fascination with children and child activities, often preferring those activities to adult oriented activities.

Just a profile, but enough not to hire a 'bronie' as my babysitter. :)

20. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

[​IMG]

21. GingerCoffee

Let's see, we have one thread where flaming gays are seen as always a negative stereotype and this one where guys who like certain cartoons are suspected pedophiles. Kind of sexist don't you think, condemning guys who don't behave the way others expect them to behave?

Christopher Snape. likes this.
  22. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

Um, OP, sorry to be like this, but it's extremely rude to set up a post presupposing we all know wtf a bronie is? It's no less offensive ifIweretoopenupathreadwithoutspacingmywords. If you ask a question, you need to DEFINE uncommon terms to save us from wasting Google gas.

23. Lemex

Nah, not really. If one of my friends likes, say, Harry Potter, I'm going to laugh at him. And I do.

24. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Here ya go:

FBI Headquarters
    935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
    Washington, D.C. 20535-0001
    (202) 324-3000​

You can give them a heads up on their sexist practices. But seriously, as much as you would love to pin such a straw man on me, anyone with an average intelligence can see that I am not saying that every male that likes MLP is a pedophile. That's just silly, and usually right up your alley to accuse someone of saying such a thing. But since you love to build your little strawmen, I will lay it out for you.

Not all men who like children's activities are pedophiles.
    Not all pedophiles like children's activities.
    However, a pedophile is more likely to engage in child-like activities and child-like hobbies.

Does that mean that this guy is a pedophile?

[​IMG]

Of course not, but according to the FBI he is more likely then other people. Therefore, red flag. Therefore, not babysitting my children.

25. GingerCoffee

Really? You're going to rant about Katie posting a common name because you had to look it up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.