1. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Gannon, Jun 20, 2007.

Granted I'm only half way through this rather than having finished but I thought I'd start my thoughts early.

This book is certainly contentious, impressively thought provoking and zeitgeist-ial (if that's a word!).

Richard Dawkins, eminent proffesor of Biology, scientifically disproves God (all of, not just Christian Jesus Christ God - also Woden, Zeus, Allah etc). This is obviously where the contention arises.

His content is extremely though provoking, a staple example could be that a theist (who who strongly believes) is in fact mostly atheist as they discount all the other Gods believed in by other religions / castes / cults etc. Dawkins just goes one step further and is atheist, including all Gods.

And zeitgeistial as religion is very much du jour with clases in Gaza, 9/11, continued terror threats etc which again returns the book to contentious.

Dawkins offers a scale of 7 from absolute belief to absolute belief there is no God and for that reason alone everyone should read it to question where they fall.

At times Dawkins is accused of ranting, à la Michael Moore, but that because, despite claims that he will not purposely offend, he is at times insensitive, though explains why.

Personally I think throw away comments such as 'Who cares' should be precisely that - thrown away. They don't aid his argument and give credence to the 'rant'.

Recommended, not easy going by any stretch of the imagination, unless you are a Biology Graduate and or used to reading papers and theses, but (though I'm half way through) fascinating nevertheless.

2. Funny Bunny

Funny Bunny New Member

I would like to read the Dawkins book. I have it on my wish list. I am about to read the Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. I am not really a believer in "God" but I believe religion gives people reasonable group instruction into Ethics. The Christian Church is worse than say, Buddhism or Baha'i. All are pretty horrible to women. Oh well, I won't go there.

Any book worth its salt will have detractors.

answers are harder than questions.