1. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by rhduke, May 15, 2013.

Coulson lives apparently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3T-evQZiQo

Coming in September. Don't know about you, but I'm pretty excited.

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Didn't realise it was a TV series until I watched the trailer. I was also pretty unimpressed by the whole idea...UNIL I WATCHED THE TRAILER. Now I'm a DC fan boy myself, but seeing as Marvel does a great job of linking its universe together, I'm pretty excited too. I'm hoping for a few superheroes from the films to make an appearance in the show. Thanks for this. :)

By the way, I'm also SUPER looking forward to Man Of Steel, mainly because it's directed by Snyder and produced by Nolan, but it's also because if it becomes successful enough, they will be making a Justice League movie, apparently also to be directed by Snyder. Sorry to go off track, but if the new Superman goes well then we may be seeing more DC films linking with each other, and that's awesome!

Thanks for the post. :D

3. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

No problem. Coulson looks like he can carry this show with ease, so I think it'll be pretty successful.

Seeing Batman + Superman in a movie would be pretty awesome.. If they get the right actor for Flash, then a Justice League movie would have the right amount of seriousness and humour ^^

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Developed byJoss Whedon. I predict some excellent writing, particularly dialogue. Whedon is very hands-on, and has a real knack for character,

5. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

Yep. It doesn't matter what type of character you are, main, supporting or guest star, Joss makes you matter to the audience.

6. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Very, very excited for this.

7. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

Yeah, I can't wait to see Coulson kick some ass like in that Marvel one-shot where he takes down baddies in a convenience store

8. Gigi_GNR

If Whedon sticks with the show and helps produce and write, it'll stay good. Buffy started going downhill when he started handing the reins over to other people.

9. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

[MENTION=730]gigi[/MENTION], Yes! That's what I keep saying. Whedon always hands the project reigns over and the quality goes to crap. Maybe it's too much to expect him to single handily do everything (direct and write) but no one does things as well as he does :/

10. Gigi_GNR

If he can manage both Avengers 2 and this, it'll be great. If he hands the reins over and is more loose with his control, it could easily fall apart.

11. Cogito

I don't see that happening. As for the situation with Buffy Season 6, it wasn't only his focus on Firefly that made the season unpopular. It was also his choice to make Life the big bad of the season, one of his few weak decisions. The sub-arc of Willow's dependency on magic was perhaps a bit obvious, but still well done. Buffy fans just weren't that keen on putting all the emphasis on internal battles.

12. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

I kind of liked season 6. It has some of the show's best episodes including "Once More With Feeling". The season finale was a bit of a letdown, but seeing Willow turn badass and hearing her trash talk Giles was pretty entertaining. Definitely the most emotional season because of the Life theme as you mentioned.

Maybe it's not the best season, but I admire Whedon's efforts to make characters grow, unlike many shows where the characters remain static.

Continuity was something Smallville did NOT do well. Memory wipes here, there, everywhere.

13. Mauthos

Mauthos Member

With the rumoured JLA film though, who do you think would be a good Batman now that Christian Bale has hung up the mask so to speak?

14. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

Those are hard shoes to fill.. the actor has to be both suave and dark. My picks are

Alexander Skarsgård
    David Boreanz
    Jake Gyllenhaal

I'm scared who they pick. Not one actor really stands out to me and screams Bruce Wayne and Batman.

Christian Bale was a good Bruce but not so much Batman imo.

15. Gigi_GNR

Yes on the first choice - I can definitely see that. I think Bale did a really great Bruce, but the gargling marbles voice was hilarious at times. Didn't take away from TDK/R, but it's still funny to hear "WHERE ARE THE OTHER DRUGS GOING?!"

I thought that since, with the John Blake = Robin idea they had in the last minutes of TDKR, they'd reboot the franchise with JGL as the newest Batman; it would stay true to the continuity while letting it go in another direction, and it wouldn't be the first time Robin's taken up the Batman mantle, either.

16. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

"SWEAR TO MEEEE!" lol

I can see JGL as Batman but reinvented. Not as much with the doom, gloom and depression, but more with the rebellious, spunk attitude from someone younger, while still using fear as a weapon. While that might work, I think JGL would be perfect for a Nightwing movie.

Also, which Marvel heroes do you guys want to guest star in the first season of SHIELD?

17. Gigi_GNR

I've heard the entire team is set to guest at one point or another, which is awesome. Adds to the credibility of the show's premise, as well - it makes it look like a legitimate continuation of a story rather than a cheap tie-in.

Hmmm... in terms of storytelling, I think having Black Widow and Hawkeye appear first would make the most sense - they're SHIELD agents and the ones we're most likely to see around the headquarters. In terms of star power, RDJ would make the biggest splash.

18. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

Ah notification for this thread isn't working hmm..

Hearing that just got me overly excited

I agree about BW and hawkeye. Knowing Joss, he might do an entire episode revolving around Iron Man but only show glimpses of him flying here or there. You don't actually get to see his face. They did that for Buffy in an episode on Angel and it was pretty funny. The whole purpose wouldn't be to save money (while that is a good reason..) but for that odd far-away-nostalgic feeling that's very hard to describe. Anyway, if you have no idea what I'm talking about then nvm :p

I would like to see Spider-Man but are there copyright issues with Marvel and Sony? Or is that just for movies.. I've no idea. Of course I'd like to see the rest of the Avengers but also heroes like Punisher, Daredevil and maybe even some x-men. I'd go bat crazy over an Emma Frost cameo.. but it's unlikely.

edit: to anyone who needs reason to watch this show.. this guy and this feeling of kickassery is probably in it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAMgkpQYOSQ

19. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

Anyone else watch the series premier?

20. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

It's on Friday over here, so no spoilers until then! :D Also, Affleck is batman. WHY?

21. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

looking forward to the next ep :)

as for ben, maybe they were hoping the contraversy would be like free advertisment... i unno

22. Cogito

I am also. And knowing Whedon's work, the "Tahiti" answer will be something quite unexpected, not revealed for a while.

23. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

Agreed. I have a feeling it has something to do with the circumstances of his death and revival. We shall see...

24. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

The one thing I didn't like, was they made Melinda May look like one bad chick, but they gave absolutely NO background on her. Tahiti probably has something to do with him being in a coma or something while they turned him into the Six Million Dollar man.

25. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

give it a few eps. its hard to fit character backgrounds into a pilot and its usually saved until the plot has had time to thicken