1. rightonmarissa

rightonmarissa New Member

setting problems

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by rightonmarissa, Aug 19, 2012.

i wantto write a story, but im not going to startuntil i have a good setting.

i want it to be in the past, from around the 1900s to 1980s.

my idea is the main character who is a very beautiful and striking women. she is unique and she doesnt fit the norm of the "regular females" of the time. shes more outspoken and she dresses more provactive than what is usually expected. her hair is a bright red as a sign of her restlessness.

she is beautiful but very mysterious. she has a bad girl attitude And is very independent. but, she went threw a bad childhood and alot of trauma that has followed her into her adulthood.

the story is about her starting out singing in clubs and becoming more and more fsmous around the city she lives in. she starts getting into drugs and sex heavily.

the story outlines her struggle with her past and herself and the addiction. her name might be rosalind, or maybe even Vega.

my question is, what time period do you think would be best acceptable? im thinking grundgy, underground clubs she performs at in the beginning. sorry if this is confusing. i need to do great research because for me its hard to describe a time period i never experinced. any help would be appreciated!

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

having lived through just before the 40s on, and having studied the music scene of earlier decades, i'd say you're describing anywhere between the 'jazz age' of the 20s and the 'hippie era' of the 60s... whatever period you choose, you'll have to do a lot of research to 'get it right' if you didn't experience that decade personally...

3. ArtWander

ArtWander New Member

Period pieces are more difficult to set, since there is a whole lot of research you have to conduct before even beginning to write. You have to know (pretty much) exactly how things were back then, or else you are going to get some unwanted attention in the critiquing department.

4. NuttyStuff

NuttyStuff New Member

You have to do a lot of research to get it right, but I wouldn't limit yourself to just the 1900s; try going a little bit more into the past. Do what you think is best, but make sure you know everything you need to know before you act.

5. Michelle Stone

Michelle Stone Member

I'd go with a pre-revolution era piece. Think of it. Here, we have the Puritans attempting to set up a strict moral environment to follow their beliefs. But we know, debauchery knows no bounds. Think of it as modern homage to "The Scarlet Letter." Carefully consider the warnings about researc