1. bunbun94

bunbun94 Member

Bunbun's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by bunbun94, Jul 3, 2015.

Okay this is going to be a long post. You're warned, lol.

How I came to want to write is a bit weird. Since I was little, I don't know why I did that, but whenever I loved a manga, I would create a character, insert it in the story and then daydream about her. It was always a girl. Sometimes, she was tall, other times short, blond, brunette, with magical power, without magical powers...etc. Basically, she was constantly changing.

I only become really into reading books around 2010. Weirdly enough, Twillight was the series that got me into reading. I remember back in 2009, I was 14 and totally in love with Bella's story. Nowadays, Twillight is on my "why was this even published" shelves, but without it I wouldn't have realized how much I loved books. So I guess, in a way I must thank St├ęphanie Meyer :oops:. From Twillight, I read the Vampire Academy series (which I absolutly loved) and then I decided to write my own story. At the time, I knew naught about plots, developping a character and all that stuff. So basically, my story didn't develop much but it stayed at the back of my mind.

There's this thing I must tell you guys. I've always wanted to write a fantasy book, almost unconsciously. You see I love fantasy. I remember watching my brother play video games such as Legend of Dragoons and Final Fantasy and be mesmerized. So when I was 12 (at the time I was also a huge fan of Naruto), I decided to write my own book. As you must have guessed, it didn't go anywhere. But yeah, in a way, me wanting to write now, is the result of things that happened years and years ago.

Anyway, fast forward to late 2012 and 2013. At that time, the book idea that sprouted into my mind in 2010 hadn't Evolved much. However, writing did become important in my life. I started studying journalism at uni and therefore, I was thrust into writing. Most of my assessments were portfolios of article. Truth be told I was initially a poor writer. In any case, by 2013, writing a book was back on my to do list. So I started researching ideas for the plot, building the world, thinking about a magic system..etc. It would be an understatement to say that it was complicated. I didn't think much about the characters.

That girl I talked in my first paragraph, that I loved to insert in my daydreaming. Well, she was still there and she was going to be the MC of my story. Of course, I changed her a lot to fit my story.

Now, July 2015. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I barely wrote anything for my book or even any short stories. The thing is writing a story is hard and I know I'm not very good at it (lack of practice). Because of that, I often procrastinate. But the thing is I really want to write this book that's been on my since a bit more than a decade now. Besides, I realized that time was flying fast and before I knew it, I would be 30 without having ever written anything.

This is why I decided to join this forum. Because I decided to take writing seriously and really practice. I opened this journal because I needed to track my progress and I needed some place where I could write down my writing goals.

I'm currently on holyday, with lots of free time. So hopefully, I'll be able to use that time to improve. My current goals now is to do a writing prompt once a week. Writing digest has tons of writing prompts so that's the one I'm planning to use. Hopefully, it'll help me to improve.

Another reason why I couldn't get anywhere with my book is because, I kept havign new ideas and consequently changed the plot/world building. So I had an idea. I'm going to write short stories based on the ideas I had. They don't need to follow the real timeline of my story. Basically, I've given myself the goal to write and finish such short story in a week.

Also, besides I have other book ideas besides the one, I had since 2013. So I want to write short stories based on them. Anyway, basically each week I'm going to do two writing assignment: a writing prompt and a short story. I hope I'll truly be able to reach my goals :). I'll update my progress regularly and maybe I'll take more about my stories ideas. Also, I'll probably post all my writing in my personal blog on the forum and if I think one of my short story isn't too bad, I'll post it in the writing workshop.

If anyone has any ideas how I could improve or don't mind giving me feedback on what I write, please do so:)! That would be really helpful.

transyl likes this.
  2. bunbun94

bunbun94 Member

So far I'm doing quite well. I've wrtten more in the past weeks than I did in the past three years. My main problems are that often I can't focus on what I write for a long time and sometimes I'm not motivated which means that I don't write as much as I could.

Since I have a lot of free time that's alright I can always make up for the wasted times. However, I need to become more disciplined because a) I want to write a novel and it's hard and long and b) I won't always be as free.

In any case, I'm glad of the progress I've made. Also I have a lot of fun ideas churning in my brain.

transyl and GingerCoffee like this.
  3. transyl

transyl New Member

Final Fantasy is a big inspiration for me. Particularly Final Fantasy Tactics. It's somewhat lesser known but it's my favourite game of all time. The storytelling, world building, and characters are remarkably rich. One of the characters who starts out as a hero goes through a very dark journey full of blurred lines. I love that it has real character development. I've also played FF7-10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, and Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2.

In a way I was a lot like you. Always putting off writing despite having ideas in my head. The advice I'd give to you is just to write. Even if you doubt that it's good, just keep writing. The more you write the more chance that you'll write things you like and realize that you can be a writer.

Short stories are a good way to build up confidence and try a lot of different genres. They are also much easier to share with others and to get feedback from people. I wish you good luck on your adventures in writing!

bunbun94 likes this.
  4. bunbun94

bunbun94 Member

I think pretty much everybody who love fantasy is in a way or another a bit inspired by Final Fantasy. Your words are very encouraging! Nowadays, I try not to think to much about the quality of my writing. I jut focus on the act of writing itself because I realize that only from bad writing can good writing come. I need to practice, practice and practice and then perhaps, I'll become a better writer.

5. bunbun94

bunbun94 Member

There are four characters I want to write about. Except for two of them who might live in the same world, I don't think any of their story will be related. I don't want to get ahead of myself, so for the moment, I think of them as short stories. If it could grow into full novel, that would be awesome, though.

Anyway, I started working on one of the story. It's not much, I wrote about 700 words but that's a beginning. I'll update at the end of the week to see where I am.