1. Clare Jaymes

Clare Jaymes New Member

Casting a problem into the fray.

Discussion in 'Research' started by Clare Jaymes, Sep 12, 2010.

Hello Everyone!

I am new to the site, still learning the way this one works so bear with me please?

I would like some advice on for a story that I am working on and will be grateful to any help provided.

The story is about two people (male/female) who are brought together under mystical circumstances and falling in love is one of the ultimate factors in the story.

There comes a point in the story where the female character leaves her home to be with her L.I. for a visit in a strange country. But, upon arrival she learns that the man kept an important object to her in his possession. When she finds out this causes turmoil (ultimately driving them apart temporarily).

The man learns upon her arrival that his father is married to someone from her past (His step mother was at one point involved with females widowed father and left because her inability to handle taking care of his daughter). Although they aren't related in anyway or even step siblings, the fact needs to bother him enough that it causes him to pull away.

I am still fleshing the story out and I am widely open to suggestions.

Help?

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Well what aspects do you feel stuck on?

3. Clare Jaymes

Clare Jaymes New Member

Aspects.

What could be so unsettling about the connection to his step mother, that it would cause him to feel as if he needs to hide their relationship?

**It was suggested that possible making her the woman's daughter - allowing for they haven't spoken or seen one another since she was a small child. Since the mother left her behind and disappeared, she never speaks of having a child so this is unknown to the L.I. but is to his father**

Not sure if that is crossing into strange territory...

What would worry him so much about it that he fears his father and step mother would not be happy for him?

Of course he is wrong about his worries, because in the end they are the ones who push him to go after her once they discover the truth.

4. Clare Jaymes

Clare Jaymes New Member

The secret of my influence has always been that it remained secret - Salvador Dali

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Make the step mother beautiful in an unsettling way if she appeared in the teen years.

Seriously though if you write don't expect too much let you characters become something you love, they will tell you things like this.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

These are very fundamental story elements you are asking for help on. It will be best for your story and for your development as a writer to work through this problem on your own. Explore the drawbacks, try variations, until you come up with something you can believe in.

If you don't believe in its plausibility, the readers won't either.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

listen to cog... don't write by committee, use your own imagination so the work will be truly your own...