Tags:
  1. Mintide

Mintide New Member

Busy scenes, but only one PoV

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Mintide, Nov 25, 2010.

I had a plan for a scene, I had descriptions of how certain actions were to be performed.

But then as I was writing, something happened in-story that diverted the protagonist's and hence the PoV's attention, so I did not get to 'show' how things were done in the other locations. I am trying an 'after action' briefing, but it feels less fun.

I know how the things were done, I suspect a reader might be able to guess but I 1. don't think they should have to guess 2. want them to enjoy the action but 3. cannot use it in a present time setting because although the PoV can view multiple encounters at a time, when the PoV itself is engaged in an encounter that encounter recieves full focus.

So in short, I hope I am making sense here. How do you explain things after the fact? My PoV already knows what they were supposed to do.

2. Islander

Islander Contributing Member Contributor

If the most fun for the reader is to see it as it happens, maybe you can rewrite the scene. Like adding another PoV character.

It's probably easier to answer if you post an excerpt in the review room, if you have access there.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

My fantasy writing is written in first person and present tense. I find you can set up a discussion - ask questions etc. For me finding the way round my POV problems has produced my best story ideas.

4. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributing Member Contributor

Unless it was vital the actions were performed in that order and at that time, could you put them off? I've moved whole days of my character's time around to accommodate awkward moments like that. Say, make the distracting moment happen before the POV character is meant to stumble onto the rails that roll through the events they were meant to observe?