Buying a new computer: what and which OS?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Woof, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

You can also run the Windows version in Wine.

Personally, I use Linux Mint with LibreOffice, but I used to run Scrivener on here, too.

2. fivetoesten

fivetoesten Member

I would suggest keeping your samsung i5 for a while longer, but instead of dual-boot, virtual machines, or whatever, wipe it to bare metal and put a real linux on it.

If it's going by the wayside anyway, what will it hurt? Mint is pretty good. I'd say Arch, but Arch is a little tricky if you're not already comfortable with Linux.

3. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

A good virus/malware/add blocker will help.

I use Kaspersky, but YMMV.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

So, I got this image just now of you, @Steerpike , as a sort of binary wizard, in the Tolkien sense of the word, or perhaps some other magus, because I really need you to have a roiling caldron to make the image complete, and I know you'll be cool with a caldron because screw magical gender normativity. You extract a "tarball" from your satchel. It's a bizarre mass of tangled code, numerical and arcane, slippery as a salamander's integer and thick as polynomials rolling in off the mire. Eyes blaze actinic blue as computation flows in arabesque curls from your lips.

... just thought I'd share. K-bye-now. :whistle:

jannert likes this.
  5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

OK, I won't try to talk you into a Mac, but I have absolutely no idea what you mean by the above?

Wreybies likes this.
  6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I was going to leave this alone and not get into the "Mac is evil" conversation, but, yeah... I also have no idea what this means. I can assure everyone that I paid off my several Mac machines and no one is asking for any additional funds other than buying programs, which is the same paradigm as a Windows machine.

7. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

In general, Apple's design philosophy is to restrict what you can do with your own device. Since computer problems are generally caused by users, I guess Apple figured out long ago that if they limit what users can do, then they can limit user error, and thus create the illusion that their products are better-designed than anyone else's products simply because fewer people complain about having problems with them.

Apple's never-ending fight against iOS jailbreaking is evidence of this. iOS devices are designed to give users very limited control. Users hack their devices to gain control. Apple keeps "fixing" the flaws users were exploiting. That way, Apple takes keeps taking control back away from users.

However, I have only found this to be the case with iOS, not with OS X. Maybe @Woof is referring to the hardware?

8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I just clicked both of those links, and my ears are still pinned back. Yikes. They seem incredibly complicated, unless I'm missing something.

I don't want to start MacWars here, but a Mac is inherently a lot more user-friendly than that. Buy the MacBook Air by all means (I just did last month—my first laptop to supplement my desktop) and use the Yosemite system designed for it. It's a piece of cake, really. And if you must, install Word for the Mac, or LibreOffice, or one of the Pages alternatives that's available through the Mac App store (which means the versions you install are safe and virus-free.) LibreOffice is free to download and use, and looks excellent. I may switch to it myself, as the new Pages is pissing me off, because it's removed a few features I like in this new version.

I have had Macs since 1994, and not a single one has ever 'broken down,' or needed to be replaced due to any fault. I've replaced them (reluctantly) when the hardware or software becomes obsolete. I hate obsolescence, so that's a 'fault,' I suppose. But I'm currently using a desktop Mini (using Mountain Lion) that I bought two years ago, to replace one that I bought in 2007. The older one still works fine, although its software is out of date. As did the G3 I had before that—which was second-hand when I bought it in 1999, and still gave me 8 years of great service. And the Performa I had before that. So that's only four computers in the past 21 years. Not bad. Yes, the initial cost of an Mac is higher than a Dell or some other, but they don't break down. They really don't.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    ChickenFreak and minstrel like this.
  9. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

Linux is much more free in terms of what you can do and achieve, they are even OS specifically designed with certain tasks in mind. On the plus side, using a Linux OS means that most, if not all, programs available are free. which is always nice. Linux however, is typically more geared towards tech-savvy people.

Mac OS was specifically designed to reduce the user's awareness of the OS and it's working. Typically, Mac's are more user friendly and easier to use, but are quite restrictive in what you can do and typically are not suited to tech-savvy people or those who like to micro-manage the computer. Macs are known to last a long time, but from my experience that is not in regards to the hardware, but simply because Mac OS does not "slow down" as it ages as fast or as dramatically as windows. I once had a Microsoft computer last me 15 years and I only threw it out because it was so horribly outdated and not because it was breaking down.

Windows, well, i think of it as a just middle between mac and Linux (to note: Windows has a tendency to keep a lot of old data like log files, one of the many reasons why windows seems to "slow down" faster than Linux or Mac), it's decently expensive but Microsoft's current trend in what is in their user agreement can be quite shocking, if you're using windows 10, say goodbye to privacy. Windows 8, however, was specifically designed for tablets and touch-screen devices, as such it is horrid on a normal PC, thus why it got such bad reviews, but there actually is very little difference in the way the OS runs between windows 8 and windows 10. Basically windows 10 is what windows 8 should of been for normal PCs instead of a half baked conversion. I'd personally stick with windows 7, or if you don't mind supporting the current global trend of companies logging, tracking, and spying on your every move then windows 10 is probably for you.

As to the laptop-desktop question, that's entirely depending on your habits, if you like to take your computer and write on your front porch or write somewhere else then at your desk, then laptops are preferable. If however, you are into gaming in your spare time, or almost uniquely write at your desk, the desktops are typically better. Desktops principally have longer lifespans before breaking down and they do not suffer from the many issues laptops have as a result of cramming everything so close together. They do not suffer from short battery life and they are more resilient to bad treatment such as spilling your coffee on it. To note: Laptops have a nasty tendency to overheat, which if done too often can severely damage the computer, also, laptops typically do not last nearly as long as desktops especially when it comes to HDD.

You can buy computers in two ways, you can buy them already built, that is to say like a typically Dell computer, or, you can build them yourself. Building them yourself typically means you will finish with a computer much more suited for your needs, and typically you will have a much better computer for the same price, or a much cheaper computer for the same performance. However, building your computer means you need to buy the OS separately, you also have to build the computer yourself (which is pretty easy, plenty of guides and tutorials out there). So it's up to you.

In terms of what's inside the computer, then having a decent amount of RAM is a good measure to prevent it from becoming obsolete, mind you, RAM is fairly cheap and you can upgrade your computer very easily by adding more RAM. As for CPUs, there is primarily two choices, AMD and Intel. AMD's CPUs are geared towards servers, so they are typically badly suited for normal office work, Intel has multiple categories, I5 and I7 and the primary branches. I7 are mostly for intensive tasks such as video editing, if you're simply using the computer for office work, don't bother with I7s, I5s are quite good and are significantly better suited for office work. Depending on which I5 you get, the price may fluctuate significantly and so will the perfomance, but getting a mid-priced I5 usually lasts about 3-4 years before becoming obsolete, although if you are doing office work, it is very unlikely that the CPU will not be able to handle future programs within ten years. Your main worry would be primarily the lifespan of the CPU.

When in comes to space on HDD or SSD, bigger is always better. When you buy a new PC you might think that you'll never use up all that space. but you will be surprised as to how much space you will need in the future, especially with programs and files becoming significantly larger over recent years.

minstrel and jannert like this.
  10. jannert

Incredibly useful post, with well-taken comparisons. You've outlined the differences between desktops and laptops very well. I think laptops are great, but not as first-use computers, because of the problems you've outlined.

Incidentally, my husband and I (who share it) have both noticed that the 13-inch MacBook Air we just bought does not seem to heat up, even when it's being used for an hour or so at a time.

The MacBook Air is a supplementary computer for us. My husband will be spending a month in hospital in the near future, and wanted a computer he could use while he's in, so that's why we bought it. We both use Mac desktops as our main computers. I can see myself using our Air in future, for the few times I might want to write somewhere other than at my desk. However, I will stick to desktops for my main computer, as will he, when he gets back to his 2-year-old iMac.

I like being able to use a separate keyboard, to be able to position my screen relative to the keyboard in the configuration of my choice. My Mac Mini allows use of nearly any keyboard, and I'm using an older stepped Apple one rather than a flat one, which, for me, is more comfortable to type on. The mini also allows a variety of monitors. Mine is a flatscreen Formac Oxygen from many moons ago, bought new in 2007 ...and I love it. It's not even a widescreen, and it still works a treat. And most of all, having a desktop, I don't have to constantly 'recharge' my computer. I just turn it on, and it's ready to go.

11. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Tech-savvy people seem to like Unix, and the Mac has Unix behind that pretty face.

Edited to add: In my case, I need to finally break down and do some Windows programming, so my next computer will be...a Mac powerful enough to dual boot the Mac OS and Windows. :)

minstrel and jannert like this.
  12. jannert

Apparently that's a strength of the new El Capitan OS (still in a beta phase) which will allow two applications to run side by side at the same time. Of course the present Macs allow both systems (and have for a while) but apparently with El Capitan you can keep them both open and work on both at the same time. If that's your thing.

I lead a simple life, however.

13. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I spent a couple of months wrestling with what to buy and ended up with an MSI GE72 (Apache) gaming laptop.

I had started writing a really long explanation as to why, but I figured no one will read it anyway. Here's the point form version:

• I own a lot of Windows software, so Mac wasn't an option
    • I plug an external keyboard, mouse and two 1920x1200 monitors (left over from my desktop) into my laptop for everyday use
    • I got a gaming laptop because they've got decent processors/speeds (writing isn't the only thing I do with it)
    I'm not saying this is the best way for everyone to go (I'm pretty picky when it comes to interfacing with any computer) but it was the best way for me. I maintain the comfort of writing at my desk as if I were using a desktop computer, but without the noise. (I was amazed at how much easier it was for me to concentrate without all those desktop cooling fans in the bg; of course, coffee helps, too). And if I ever need to go mobile, the keyboard has enough 'feel' so I don't have to use a GPS to keep my fingers on the home keys. (the only keyboard that would be better, IMHO, is the fully-mechanical one found on the MSI GT80, but who's got four grand for a laptop?)

14. Woof

Woof Senior Member

Lots of interesting discussion since I last checked in. Thanks for everyone's ideas/comments! I'm still computerless, so reading a bit but not commenting much 'cause I'm on my phone, mashing away with one finger... waaah! Has anyone used/bought machines from 'no vote check' as my autocorrect insists on spelling NOVOTECH?!@!! They look decent value compared to what else is out there, and I'm liking their bloatware-free policy.

ETA: @Sack-a-Doo! Have you seen Datamancer keyboards? Stunning!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  15. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

LOL. Just visited the website and they are appealing. It even looks like they have Cherry keys, but I didn't see any mention of that.

Maybe after I sell a novel. :)