1. The Emperial Kid

The Emperial Kid New Member

Jul 2, 2007

Caleb's Storm

Discussion in 'Image Story Contest' started by The Emperial Kid, Jul 17, 2007.

“Caleb, don’t,” I pleaded softly. I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. Caleb turned to me, and looked me straight in the eye. His long brown hair was caked with mud and his face was smudged with dirt. I’ll never forget the look in his eyes as he told me, “Take the others. Save yourselves.”

The tears came streaming out as I slowly nodded, then turned and began sprinting back toward the others. I squinted and shielded my eyes as I realized I couldn’t see a thing. The storm had gotten worse, and now the rain was coming down harder. The wind blew stronger, and I ducked to avoid being struck by flying debris. I slowly began taking steps, trying to keep moving in the same direction, and struggling to keep my balance as the wind beat against my body. Dust and dirt blew into my face and stuck to my skin, and the rain soaked my hair and clothing. A streak of lightning broke through the dark sky, and then everything went dark again. The crash of thunder was deafening, and I could see nothing as the wind swirled around me, as if the storm was trying to suffocate me in its grasp. I collapsed on my hands and knees as the wind knocked me of balance. I was in a fight with the storm, and it was winning.

Suddenly, as fast as the storm had come, it disappeared. I looked back and saw Caleb. His arms were outstretched toward the sky, surrendering himself to the storm. He was controlling the wind, and as if alive, the storm changed form. Eight funnels of wind formed around him, forming a path for the others and I to escape. Though Caleb’s powers were strong, I knew he couldn’t hold it back forever. I took one last look at my best friend, then turned and began to run again.

The gray minivan looked out of place in the middle of the vast plain. The sky was still dark and the wind was still blowing, though not nearly as hard as before. I ran with all my might toward the van. The back door slid open and Nora appeared. “Come on!” She exclaimed, motioning for me to get into the car. I ran and quickly jumped into the back seat. Nora pulled the door closed behind me, and Ryan hit the gas. The car screeched to a start and sped across the flat plain. We picked up speed quickly. “Watch it!” Seth called from the passenger seat as Ryan’s lousy driving caused the van to swerve left and right.
    “Everything’s under control,” Ryan insisted, as the van took another unexpected turn.
    “That’s it, I’m driving,” Said Seth, as he attempted to climb over into the driver’s seat.
    “No way,” Ryan pushed him back into his seat. “You’re way too short.”
    “How bout I drive?” Nora insisted as she stood up, ready to jump into the front seat and take the wheel. Ryan laughed.
    “You can’t drive,” he said.
    “Well, you can’t either...”

I tuned out the voices of the others as I gave up on holding back my tears. Silent tears streamed down my face as I stared out the back seat window. The group of tornadoes was now a small speck on the horizon, though Caleb was still visible. He was standing in the middle, arms still outstretched upward. We would all be dead if it wasn’t for him. I couldn’t believe that the others weren’t a bit saddened by his sacrifice. I took a deep breath and wiped my eyes, then turned my attention back to my bickering friends. They had all quieted down. Seth was snacking on a carrot, and it seemed that Ryan now had better control of the car. Nora sat with her head against the back of the seat, an annoyed look on her face. Darcy was staring out the window. We kept driving, and everyone could feel the tension building up inside the car. “Uhh...where are we supposed to go?” Nora asked finally. No one knew the answer to that. As far as the eye could see, there was nothing. Just the dry, flat land that stretched underneath us.
    “Who knows,” sighed Seth, as he took another bite of his carrot. “We don’t even know where we are.”
    “At least we’re alive,” I said, with a little more bitterness in my voice than I intended there to be.
    “Yea I know,” spat Nora. “It’s about time that Caleb did something useful.” Darcy grimaced. She knew that her little sister went to far sometimes, but this was a bit too far. She gave me a look, apologizing for her sister. I quickly turned away and bit my lip, trying to hold back more tears. I stared out the window again. Caleb and the storm were hardly visible now, but it was obvious he was still there, holding back the storm. I witnessed as the storm finally took over again, and the eight tornadoes that surrounded Caleb became out of control again. I watched in horror as he turned, attempting to run. A large board of wood flew through the air and struck Caleb right through the chest. I watched him fall backwards before the wind became like a wave, and it flooded over Caleb and the ground surrounding him. It came down on him, flattening him. It surrounded him like it had surrounded me, only this time it won.

Caleb was gone.

My best friend was gone. We had been through a lot together, and there had been a lot of close calls, but I knew this time that Caleb was never coming back. The tears took over again as I watched the storm grow bigger and bigger. Soon, it would be on us again. Fighting us again.
    “Um...guys?” I broke through the silence. The others turned to me and I pointed at the storm.
    “Some hero Caleb turned out to be,” Nora muttered. I felt like slapping her, but my concern for our safety overcame my hatred for Nora.
    “Step on it, Ryan!” I shouted, as the storm got closer.
    “I’m going as fast as I can!” Ryan shouted back. The minivan sped across the dry ground in the middle of nowhere. There was no way to escape the storm. It was gaining on us. The wave of dust and rain chased us as we frantically tried to escape. It got closer and closer, until we were finally swept up by its death trap.

“Are you okay?” Caleb’s soft voice rang in my ears. I looked around, bewildered. I was sitting in the passenger seat of the van, and Caleb was driving. It was dark, but almost morning. Nora, Seth, and Darcy slept huddled in the back seat. Ryan was reading a book.
    “Sounded like you were having a pretty awful dream,” said Caleb. “You alright?”
    I looked up at Caleb, whose eyes were fixed on the road. I wanted to jump up and hug him. “Yea, I guess.” I answered. He smiled. I smiled back,
    and then turned toward the window. I looked up at the sky. Dark clouds were forming, and the smell of rain was in the air.
    “Looks like a storm.”