1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Cogito, Dec 24, 2012.

As you may know, I have been a moderator on this site for over five years. It has been at times frustrating, at other times rewarding, but it has always been a lot of hard work. I've done it all for one reason: I believe in this site, and what it provides for those who truly wish to improve their writing.

I have learned a lot, and I continue to learn. And I will continue to share my learning experiences.

But it is with great relief that I announce that I will no longer carry the burden of moderating. I have requested Daniel remove my moderator status, and he has done so. I never wanted it in the first place, but accepted it because there was a need at the time. Presently, there are three other fine moderators, and I wish to thank them for making i possible for me to step down without feeling I have abandoned everyone who depends on a strong moderation team. I also wish to thank everyone who has shown appreciation and support for the mod team, and hope they will give the same support to the remaining members.

For now, I have no plans to leave the site itself. See you all around, and thank you again for your support, and for making this a site worth all the hard work.

I was going to append this to the Happiness Thread, but instead have decided to create a separate thread. Mods, feel free to move it if necessary.

1 person likes this.
  2. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Cog, while I have at times chaffed under your moderation habits, I would like to say that I respect your devotion to the site and that you're willing to lay down the law. It won't be the same without you being a mod. I have much respect for you knowledge and insight.

Also, I really hope that your choice off phrasing there doesn't imply that the site is going to be bulldozed to make a cyberspace freeway :D

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I think it's easy to forget how time consuming moderating a large forum can be. I especially appreciate all the time you (and the other mods) put in back when we were having problems with all those spammers. Thanks for volunteering your time, and enjoy your free time!

4. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Glad to hear you're not leaving. The place wouldn't be the same without you. :)

5. Ian J.

Ian J. Active Member

I haven't been here long enough to get to know anyone well so can't really chime in on being familiar with you, but I can understand the relief of not having to moderate. Though I've not had to do so myself in anger, I have known others who have done it and they have all said it can be a very trying experience. I am glad though that you haven't had such a bad experience that you'd be leaving the forum, as you strike me as someone who is passionate about good quality writing and your feedback will always prove useful.

6. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hi Cogito,

You've done a great job. You were reliable, always there to dish out practical advice to the op, that was of value to everyone.

I am pleased you are not disappearing altogether. You're a great guy - good luck - look forward to seeing you around. Have a great Christmas and all the very best for 2013 - Trilby

7. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    Always feel funny as a rookie when I see sb leaving their leading post after years of hard work.
    Still, to judge from what you said about your belief in this website and true desire to improve writing, I, as a new comer, thank you
    for what this forum is and I'm extremely glad I took the trouble to find a place where I could write, express my opinion and
    discuss topics with others. I'm glad for this forum.

8. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

Your moderation has been one of the virtues of this forum. I think you could have moved to a "Supreme Court Moderator" position, only to be called to arbitrate the most relevant or obscure situations.

9. .Mark

.Mark Member

Thank you for your hard work. I've moderated (and administrated) sites before so I know how tedious it can be at times. Time to relax and enjoy the site for what it is :)

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm :) to know you're not leaving, but as for your no longer being the best moderator in writing sites' history, :eek: :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

11. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Cogito,

I know we've had our issues, but also know how dedicated you were to making sure this forum was nice and tight. I wish the best of luck to the remaining moderators and I know the rest of us will do our part by using the report button and staying in contact with them!

Cheers!

~ J. J.

12. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I know I've already said it elsewhere Cog but working with you has been fun. I'm glad you are still around though, this place wouldn't be what it is without you.

13. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Lord knows I still need a lot of help with my dialogue. ;-)

14. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Thanks for everything Cog, and I'm glad you're still going to keep posting here.

15. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Cheers for the impossibly big shoes to fill, mate!

But seriously, you've done a consistently great job over a long time. Enjoy "retirement", you've earned it!

16. SuttonMichael254

SuttonMichael254 Active Member

LMMFAO at you quoteing hitch hickers guide to the galexy...... MUHAHAHAHA!!!!!

sucks man... i aint gonna lie i always held your opinion in the highest.... thank you for your work and thoughts....

17. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

With respect to the others, your constant vigilance established yourself as the primary driver of the site. It's odd not seeing your name in yellow.

18. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

For those of you unaware, Cogito's been a moderator on this site for over five years. He's largely been responsible for keeping this place active and spam-free when I didn't have the time to be as active on the site. Without his help, this place would be a graveyard, no doubt about it.

Dave, I know I've already told you, but thank you so much for doing such a great job as a moderator. You're largely responsible for bring the site to where it is today.

19. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Thanks, everyone.

It does take some getting used to, but I'm feeling much more relaxed. I find a great deal of comfort in my new mantra: "Not my problem." Maybe it sounds a bit selfish. But that's not how I mean it.

A little side excursion. Many people think forgiveness means blessing someone else to do as they will, and for what they have done. They see it as a gift to their transgressors. But that isn't what forgiveness is. Forgiveness is allowing yourself to let it go. You don't have to approve, but you don't have to hold the burden of anger. It's a gift to yourself, to release any feelings of responsibility toward that other person.

That's what it's like. I don't stop caring, but I can remind myself that it's not up to me to fix it. I can move on to try to help in other ways, or to expend my energy on other projects.

And I know there are other people handling it.

1 person likes this.
  20. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Cog, I'm sorry I didn't post before, but I don't come into the Lounge much these days.

I am truly sorry to see you relinquish your responsibilities as a Mod, but I am very happy for you. It's a grand thing to be giving to others, and it is something we should all do, but it has a cost. I remember when I decided to step down from running a soccer program after many years - I was surprised how good it felt to stop. So, please enjoy your sense of relief.

I am extremely happy that you will remain an active participant on the forum. I find your advice to be invaluable and always appreciate it. Thanks for your continued efforts.