1. Yarnillah

Yarnillah New Member

Inkheart Trilogy

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Yarnillah, Dec 24, 2009.

Who's read the Inkheart books?

2. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

I want to... I've seen the movie

3. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

I've read all three, and they are amazing
    They are my all time favorite series

4. Aeschylus

Aeschylus Member

I read the first two a few years ago, and I enjoyed them greatly. I don't remember much about the second one, though. I might take a look again sometime.

5. yellowm&M

Personally I think the second one is the best (it's one of my all time favorites :D) and that the second two are head and shoulders above the first which is already fantastic

6. Yarnillah

Yarnillah New Member

I liked the second one the best too. Who do you think Meggie really should've ended up with though?? Farid or Doria??

7. yellowm&M

Hmmm well I loved Farid in the first couple, but by the time Doria cane around Farid wasn't awesome anymore...

I think I like Doria the most though in the end
    so I supposed Doria

8. Yarnillah

Yarnillah New Member

Me too! Lol. Meggie deserved someone devoted to her. Farid was devoted to Dustfinger. Dustfinger's awesome isn't he?! Lol

9. giskard

giskard New Member

I've read the first 2 and got bored halfway through the third. The author has an annoying tendency to have a ridiculously dull beginning and only if you can wade your way through it can you grasp the interesting peachy story beneath. Once you manage to do that, it picks up and you can really get into it.

I haven't gotten to the point where I actually care enough about knowing what happens at the end to pick up the third book and push my way through it though.

The idea is really good, it's just the implementation that I find lacking.

10. yellowm&M

yeah Dustfinger is awesome :D

@giskard-personally I love her writing style and I never felt like I had to push my way through anything, it was gripping from beginning to end. Especially the second two. I felt that the writing was absolutely wonderfu; and very easily pulled me in at the very beginning.

11. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

I've read all three of them, and I enjoy Cornelia Funke's writing style quite muchly. I think I liked the first one best and... I secretely think Meggie should have sticked with Farid! :p

12. Moggle

Moggle New Member

The second and third books are fantastic. The first book in comparison dragged on a bit. But despite this I would rate the Inkworld trilogy as one of my favorite book series. It's too bad more female authors don't take up the call to write epic sword and sorcery type fantasy. That particular sub genre has grown incredibly stale based on my own observations.

13. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Well, I did enjoy the series, but most of the characters seemed a bit bland and nondescript, especially Maggie. Maggie seemed like a blank character that we were supposed to project ourselves into, rather than a particularly unique or interesting personality. Dustfinger was probably the best character in terms of character development. Capricorn was a bit of a weak villain, in my opinion - he didn't have anything that made him stand out, and just seemed like a pretty typical 'villain template' character to me.

14. Yarnillah

Yarnillah New Member

I agree. Meggie could've been more interesting and Capricorn more evil. The Magpie was quite interesting. She made a very good villian. The beggining was hard to get into, but I couldn't put it down once they got into the Inkworld.

15. Cataclysmic

Cataclysmic New Member

Cornelia Funke is one of my favourites, though personally I enjoyed her other book, The Thief Lord more than the Inkheart series.
    Although that doesn't particularly mean anything as the Thief Lord, in my opinion, is the best children's story I've read in years.

I seem to disagree with most of you - the first and second were far better than the third to me, although most of you are correct: Dustfinger is epic :love: :D
    I think one of the main reasons I disliked the third book was Farid's transformation from a puppy love teenager into ruthless player. He turned into a complete t*sser.

One of my favourite aspects of Funke's writing however is her description of things in a way few other people think of when they're writing. She makes "fear cling to walls" and "moonlight stride across the lake". Love it.

16. Ecksvie

Ecksvie New Member

I'm the opposite of you guys, I LOVED the first book, it's one of the best books I've read. I couldnt put it down once I got into it.

The second was alright, I managed to get through it once but I struggle to read it again since I just get bored. Despite how much I love the series, I got so bored of book three that I gave up less than a quarter of the way in. I'm not really a hardcore fantasy fan, and the Inkworld wasnt a setting I particularly liked. It was well made, but books with that kind of fantasy setting arent to my taste.