1. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

Are split personality stories overdone?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Uberwatch, Jun 10, 2014.

I've been writing a screenplay about a man that has three distinct personalities in his head. I do like where I am taking the story as there is a lot of dialogue with occasional heavily violent scenes but what I am afraid is that I might be telling a story that's overdone.

If the execution of my story is good enough, than I probably shouldn't worry too much. It's just that I worry a lot about originality. The audience, whether it's the film or book audience seems to be on alert whether books/movies are unoriginal or a just a plain rip-off but if split personality stories aren't as common right now, I might have some confidence.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Dissociative identity disorder*

daemon likes this.
  3. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Yes, it is.

daemon likes this.
  4. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

No, it is not.

daemon likes this.
  5. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Your idea is overdone, but your story does not have to be. It is yours, and therefore it is original. Having three identities already makes it more original, and remember voice and style helps a lot, too. Also, you should write what moves you.

I'm working on a novel concerning DID as well. Because it's taking so long to plan/research/mull over (all in healthy ways, I promise!), I'm hoping it'll be my magnum opus. :) So yes - a common idea, but as always, only a cliché when handled horribly.

And you're not going to handle it horribly, are you? ;)

6. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

I already looked that up and surprised how controversial it is.

7. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

Well what I can tell you is that my story is quite complex between the three identities. The dominant one seems to be hyperaware of them and unlike other stories I have attempted to write, I am on fire writing it right now. I got a lot of writing done last night :)

Thomas Kitchen likes this.
  8. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

I used to listen to a radio talk show host named Bruce Williams, who offered business and lifestyle advice to callers. When he was (often) asked if he recommended the caller go to law school, he always said the same thing: "We have way too many lawyers in this country, but there's always room for another good one."

I think the same is true of over-used plots or themes in writing. If you can bring something new to the table, go for it.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

any cliched concept can still be given a fresh new look and succeed as a novel or a film, by a talented writer... it's done all the time, since there really are no original concepts left...

10. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

How about depicting a world where split personalities are campaigning for the right for split personality marriage equality. Has that been done?

daemon likes this.
  11. BookLover

BookLover Active Member

I can recall two instances where split personalities was done very well. One was the show "United States of Tara." Awesome show. And the concept wasn't that original when that show started, yet it was extremely entertaining to watch that family. So if you bring something new to the idea, I say go for it.

12. KeriLynn

KeriLynn New Member

There really isn't a new book/screenplay idea that is 100% original. It's not so much about the multiple personalities but more of the story behind it. Like the story can add more uniqueness to the screenplay.

13. karmazon

karmazon Member

I believe it's not what you do, it's how you do it.

On the other hand I do find split personality and amnesia stories to be a bit cliche nowadays, and would need to convinced by some surprising twist on that concept to check it out.