1. Elliya Tessle

Elliya Tessle New Member

A plot or not a plot that is the question

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Elliya Tessle, Nov 28, 2007.

I love history books to the point that I have an entire room filled from top to bottom with just history books. I've always been fascinated with the past and curious as to what could have been. My favorite period is Early Renaissance England from 1520-1550 during the reign of Henry VIII.

I have always wondered what it would be like for someone of the present to be there and know what is going to happen...

Which leads me to my plot issue.

I would like to write about a woman who travels back (accidentally of course) to that time period. Perhaps she would become close to the king and help shape history. She could be someone who wants to love the king but knows that in doing so could very well cost her head. I need some ideas if I should continue with this story or shelf it. If I should continue it how can I expand on this idea?

Thank you so much!

Elliya

2. MarcG

MarcG New Member

The biggest problem would be her introduction in the very closed upper society of the time. If you want it to be true to history, very seldom did anyone without land and/or power see the king. I can't think of anything, and he doesn't seem like someone who would ever feel obliged to someone who did something for him. So no "you saved me, blah blah" setups. I really don't know much about the specifics of the period - there may be some methods I can't think of and I might just be entirely wrong.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

this is a basic plot premise that has been used many times, successfully and otherwise... i suggest you do the requisite research and check out the best of those books, to see how their authors handled things... that may give you some ideas, but a writer's ideas really need to come from his/her own imagination...