1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Can anybody recommend an American Civil War novel?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by jannert, Apr 16, 2016.

I'm looking for a gift novel to give a 15-year old (Scottish) boy who is interested in reading about the American Civil War period. He reads to a high standard, but is only just turning 15. He doesn't require YA books, but would like one that isn't too dense and dry, or too mature in content. (Cold Mountain is a bit too mature in content, as a yardstick. Little Women is a bit far in the other direction! :))

I'm looking for something written fairly recently ...not Red Badge of Courage, or something like that. Not a classic, but a more modern offering. It can be basically any topic as long as it concentrates on the Civil War period and portrays the period accurately. I don't think he's big on Romance, but just about any other realistic (as opposed to fantasy/horror/sci-fi) genre would do.

Any ideas?

2. esshesse

esshesse Active Member

Killer Angels. I read it when I was that age and loved it. Was my favorite book. Highly reccomend

TWErvin2 and thirdwind like this.
  3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I second The Killer Angels. It's a great book.

TWErvin2 likes this.
  4. Dr. Mambo

Dr. Mambo Contributor Contributor

I realize this thread is way old, but I third Killer Angels. Also, for a teen, I recommend Red Cap and Rifles for Watie.

TWErvin2 and zoupskim like this.
  5. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

You beat me to it. GREAT book about a ol' country boy fighting for the Union, getting used as a scout and spy, then fighting for the Confederacy. You see the war from both sides, and it's not too violent.