1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Can I end a University assignment on a cliffhanger?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Thomas Kitchen, Jan 15, 2013.

Hi all,

This is a fairly basic question, but one that needs answering nonetheless. I have four mini assignment to do for my Creative Writing degree, and one of these is to write a playlet on basically anything, so I decided to write one on euthanasia/pulling the plug. Seeing as it can be a maximum of only three A4 sides, is it okay for me to end it on a cliffhanger? It'll really be a struggle to end with some kind of resolution, and considering the theme's mysteriousness and lack of answer, I thought it would be fine to do so.

Thoughts/objections? :)

2. BritInFrance

BritInFrance Active Member

Probably, best to ask your tutor. As far as I am concerned, if it is a good story and it keeps you asking questions at the end, it stays in you brain - and that is good. But, individual universities have different criteria (I am talking in general terms, as I have studied at a university - nursing - but not studied Creative Writing), so you need to check with yours. Good luck.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The answer that matters is your instructor's.

In the real world, you should never end a submitted story or play with a cliffhanger. You can leave open questions, but the story needs to be complete.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto the 'we can't give you answer, only your instructor can' responses...

5. midnight candle

midnight candle Member

i've also done creative writing at uni. cogito and mammamaia are correct - your tutor is your first call and the one who will mark it. however, i would assume that the story needs resolution even if it does have open questions. all the best.