1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

Can I pull this situation off with just one character, or do I need more?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ryan Elder, Dec 2, 2015.

In my story a witness is being protected in witness protective custody by a cop. But for the twists and turns I want it to take, I want the cop to be on his own, with no partner, or team to back him up. Is it believable that the police would only assign one guy per shift though?

I have thought about other ways around it, and asked other opinions, but it seems that the story will only work if it's one cop only. Basically the cop has to see some things that no one else can confirm happened, so if I make it just one person who says he something he cannot prove, it makes easier compared to three cops for example, all saying they saw the same thing.

Since I am writing a screenplay, I tend to use a lot of movies for example. One movie I can think of that is about a cop, or U.S. marshal in this case, protecting a witness is Eraser (1996). In that movie Arnold Schwarzenegger plays a U.S. Marshall. He stashes the witness under his protection at a safe house, gives her a pistol and tells her to use it if she has to. He then leaves her there, and says he will see her again at the trial!

So even in that movie they were able to get away with no cops being at the safe house for later when she had to go on the run. However, can mine be believable with just one, or is their any way I should write it so that it is?

2. Lifeline

Lifeline The Dark - not in Wonderland Supporter Contributor

You could involve an outside situation that the partner gets pulled off temporarily to help in this other emergency. Depends how long they should be alone in that safehouse I think.

3. Ryan Elder

Okay thanks for the idea. I need them to be alone for a few hours at least. But if a partner is put in the hospital, that will just attract the other police and they will assign him someone else, won't they? Or if they can't, then he would just bring her to the station for protection, but I don't want the plot to move to the station. I want them to be alone, so being put in a situation where he would take her to the station is bad.

Also, if other stories can just use one cop, why does mine need to have more? I mean people tell me that they don't believe mine unless it has more, but why does it have to compared to others?

4. Ryan Elder

What if I wrote it so that the witness was not in protection to begin with. What if she wasn't being a cooperative witness and therefore the DA will not offer her police protection after having subpoenaed her, because she will not give the DA any information on what she knows. So the DA will not give her protection as a result. But the MC is assigned to steakout her house and keep an eye on her, because the police know that the villain will likely come to her house to kill her, since she has been subpoenaed to testify against him.

The villain comes to kill her, the MC saves her, and the MC then calls for police protection for her, but the DA still will not grant any because she will not give any information. So the MC is either free to leave, in which case the killer could try again and she could be killed, or he can choose to stay, but protect her alone, since the DA will not send any protection for her.

The only thing is, how far can I push this, since usually the police will send protection, I am guessing, if the killer had just tried to kill the victim, minutes ago?