1. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

Can somebody give me a list of words that are

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by MatrixGravity, May 23, 2011.

What are these kind of words called?

Arrogant,Repulsive,Annoying,Violent,etc.. <-- What type of words are these? And, is there a website that supplys a list of different personality modifiers like these?

2. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I'm sorry but I really don't understand the question. What do you mean what type of words are they? They are descriptions. They are not, however, all descriptions of personality. They can all be used to describe a personality, but not only for that (which is exactly why everyone keeps telling you to read). So that you can become familiar with how words are used in ALL of their contexts.

I don't know what kind of website you mean. You should be reading, a lot.

EDIT: Because I just had a total duh moment... uhhhh... they're adjectives, is that what you meant by type? (I still stand by everything I said above though).

3. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

Yes I heard somewhere that words like "Annoying,Incorrigible,etc" are called descriptive modifiers because they're used to describe a certain person,thing,etc. So I was wondering if there was a list of various adjectives like that around where I can find a list of words that are used to describe things.

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Are you looking for just descriptions of personalities, or all descriptive words--essentially, all adjectives? I'm not seeing how such a list could be useful, but if you are looking for all adjectives, you could just study a dictionary and skip over the words that aren't identified as adjectives.

ChickenFreak

5. James Scarborough

James Scarborough New Member

There are plenty of lists and other resources for learning basic parts of speech and how to use them on websites for students of English as a second language/foreign language (ESL/EFL).

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that's what a thesaurus does... you can look up one word and find others that are close in meaning...

i don't know of any book that lists only adjectives...

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Those words are all adjectives. You can find this out by looking up each word in a dictionary.

Whether it's applied to a personality or to an object, or even to an abstract idea, a modifier for a noun is called an adjective.

A modifier for a verb, adjective, or another adverb is an adverb. Often the adverb form is like the adjective, but with ly at the end: arrogantly, repulsively, annoyingly, and violently are all adverbs.