Tags:
  1. Holo

Holo New Member

Can someone help me name this character?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Holo, Mar 11, 2012.

I am having a considerably difficult time naming my protagonist. Originally, I was going to go with Cleo, but a lot of people name their pets Cleo and my main character is a werewolf so it bothers me a bit.
    For some background info: She's 3/4 black, 1/4 chinese. Really funny, quirky, intelligent, charismatic, brave, and energetic. I want a name that is unique and unusual, but not too outlandish. I don't want any names that are popular such as Olivia, Isabelle, Emily, etc.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what to name her? I really don't want a name in the top 100 most popular names but I also don't want something that crosses the line from unusual to crazy. Please help.

2. MeganHeld

MeganHeld New Member

I always use http://www.babynames.com/Names/search.php to help search for a name. You can look up what you want the character to be like to find out the name for her. For example, I looked up brave because you have it listed and Evera came up as the name. Try giving it a shot. Post ones you like and I will be happy to help narrow it down further with you.

3. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

It varies from area to area what this "Top 100" will be, and it'll change over time. My sister-in-law named her daughter Whitney because it was unusual. Now it seems that Whitney's the new "Bob," at least from what I've seen. Cleo sounds good, it's a semi-original name that rolls off the tongue and seems like it would fit your character. The norm doesn't stay the norm for long; If you use one of those in-between names and the book becomes big, then the name will become common. To state simply, I think Cleo is a unique (enough) name for your character, because, as you said, 1. It's a name usually used with pets, not humans, and 2. Because "Cleo" isn't usually a werewolf. If the name's bothering you, then you can try a unique last name and have a nickname come from that. Beyond that, it's not something that I would question, so long as you give depth to the character.

EDIT: All of this is assuming, of course, that Would-Be-Cleo is given the standard "Christian(?)" name, not something that either relates to or connects to her werewolf bloodline. The former leaves you a bit restricted, but the latter means you risk creating a too outlandish name.

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

You said she's 3/4 black and 1/4 Chinese. Ethnic people often have really pretty, unusual names that are one-in-a-kind but also not annoyingly trendy or weird. Try looking at some African-American name sites, then putting a slight spin on the name so it has an Asian ring to it.

Think about what name her parents would give her and why. You want something realistic, not something that screams "chosen one."

5. Gonissa

Gonissa New Member

Cassandra, maybe?

6. Mallory

^ That's a great suggestion. Or maybe Cassiopeia, Cassie or Cass or Casey for short.

7. Berber

Berber Active Member

I personally like Cleo, but you can always do a quick search on a baby names website for something more exotic. I pulled a few that I liked off of babynames.com. Only took me a few minutes:

Amara
    Farrah
    Kali
    Mei (May)
    Makena
    Tobi

8. Mallory

I really like Makena. It's unique and cool, but not in a "special snowflake/Mary Sue" kind of way. I've never heard of anyone named Makena but it's still a name that someone could believably have.

9. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I know this is common but classic, but it's unique. Look up a term in Latin and give her that name. It helps alot.

10. Tashanel

Tashanel Member

I love name my character from inanimate object. So I think this maybe cool:

-Roda
    -Gula
    -Warna
    -Bunga
    -Bulan
    -Obat

or try it from google translate from inanimate object name foreign language. Some language are simple, sounds cute and easy to call. Of course get ready for your philosophy behind the name (or maybe it just me? :D)

11. Afion

Afion New Member

Here are some African names with meanings that I like :)

Dafina (which means precious)
    Hadiya (which means gift)
    Machui (which means 'like a leopard')
    Rabia (which means spring, I'm not sure what sort)
    Saad (which means good fortune)
    Taabu (which means troubles)
    Yakini (which means truth)

12. Luna13

Luna13 Active Member

I do that a lot. I wrote a fantasy story set in a totally different kind of world, so they could hardly be named Anna and John, could they? Google translate. Seriously, it's the best site for names I have ever found, and that's saying something. Find a word you love, and translate it into your favorite language (I had a character named Hadena, Japanese for ostentatious). Even if the word you use doesn't fit the character, so what? If it sounds cool in another language, use it. Or, think of a word that describes your character perfectly, and put it in a bunch of different languages until you find something you like. Hope this helps!:)

13. PrettyLittleWonderland

PrettyLittleWonderland New Member

-Avianna
    -Harper
    -Grace
    -Sierra
    -Dakota
    -Fiona
    -Riley
    -Reigny (Rainy)

14. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Just a thought, but Cleo reminded me of Klara or Clara or even Claire, all of which are legit names. I don't know if that helps, but best of luck with your story! :)

15. Ultermarto

Ultermarto New Member

Aww damn. I was going to name one of my characters Cleo... Now it seems weird.

A name, OP, should relate to the character in some way or another. Even on the most abstract linguistic level. For example, the extroverted, sociable and confident character you're describing might need a name that sounds 'fast', or 'casual'.

Dan?
    Karen?
    Fergie?

16. Josh.M

Josh.M New Member

Graveyards are great places to pick up ideas for names. A little strange I know.

17. gala

gala New Member

Actually that is a fantastic idea!

My name ideas:

Marie
    Collette
    Adena

18. Amy Newcomer

Amy Newcomer New Member

Something not to feminine, shortish, and probably one-two syllable?

Like Jade, Fara, Zoe, Pao, Ilana, Kira, Lida, Nevada(or name after other place or thing), Raven, Sadie, Sage, Yuki, (or an asian sounding name), Norie, Norika, Jia, Lia, Mei, Xia, Enya, Anya, Aiko, or you could make a first, middle name combination with Lee as the middle name. Not sure that would work, just an idea.

19. Jonathan Pushkin

Jonathan Pushkin Member

Raptavian
    hagwin

Joj Sand
    Amy forthwit

Or you can search Eastern Europen surnames and Western First names to give them a background and history.

20. W. E. Burrough

W. E. Burrough New Member

Er, not to be rude, but isn't the point of creative writing to be, you know, creative? Shouldn't you probe your own mind for a fictional person you created instead of ours? Just a thought, um, sorry.

21. Lou Plot Point Olson

Lou Plot Point Olson New Member

walk the cemeteries of your town. free name as far as i see it. old trick i use. but the making of a name is no simple feet i understand.

was that the right use of feet? or is it feat?

22. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Feat, as a quick check of a dictionary would tell you.