1. JustEd

JustEd New Member

Publishing an excerpt in a school lit magazine, then selling whole story elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by JustEd, Aug 31, 2011.

Here is my question:

I am currently a college student and I have never been published. It is looking as though I will be able to get something in the college literary magazine, but my full piece is around 10,500 words and they will only be able to publish a small excerpt. If I allow them to do this, could I then still submit the full story to a "real" literary journal or magazine? The school magazine does not retain any sort of rights, obviously, and though I know that publications generally want previously unpublished material only, would it still count if only 500 or 1000 words of my story were published in something like a school magazine?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Xyphon

Xyphon New Member

I don't have any experience in the matter, but I would imagine that the answer is no. No matter how much of the excerpt is published, it is most likely going to ruin the chance of the whole thing being published.

Take this with a grain of salt, however, as I said I had no experience with this, or even heard of a similar case.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there's no way to tell... some venues may take it on anyway, others may not... if it's important to you to try to get it published elsewhere, then don't put it in the school mag...

that said, you should know that 10k+ is much too long for most magazines/journals [optimum upper limit is 5k], so your chances of getting a piece that large accepted are minimal...