1. Killer300

Killer300 Active Member

Can Something Truly be Both Sexy and Scary?

Discussion in 'Erotica' started by Killer300, Jan 24, 2014.

This question has plagued me a lot, and I'm glad to finally have a place where I can ask about it.

But basically, is it possible to have something one is both genuinely terrified of, and attracted to? Or do these mutually cancel each other out? Because so far, the answer to me seems to be yes, but I doubt I have looked very well, especially as I imagine such a combination wouldn't exactly be easy to find.

Now, I've seen plenty of examples of something being scary while being sexualized, like Yandere, however that isn't quite the same thing. Additionally, there are archetypes that can switch between them, for example I've read a Werewolf novel that could accomplish being sexy, but couldn't be scary, where as elsewhere, we have seen the reverse.

As I said, this is a question that's plagued me for a long time, as its a combination I really want to see. Both genres hint at this, horror frequently being sexualized and erotica utilizing individuals that are very, "edgy," to sell. So is it possible to get both? Where, to you, has it been done? If one were to try, what's to be recommended for combining these very disparate genres?

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I thought that was the whole idea of Dracula. Terrifying and sexy at the same time. I bet you could find elements in the Greek and Roman myths that have the same property, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Sirens, maybe?

3. Killer300

Killer300 Active Member

Wasn't Dracula in the original book not really supposed to be that alluring though? Yeah, he evolved into that, however that evolution didn't seem to help his horror aspects unfortunately, or those of Vampires in general.

Sirens are an interesting choice, however I don't know of any recent depictions of them off the top of my head, which is a shame because they do have potential in this area, among others.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  4. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

Can ---
    Is there anybody else that thinks ---
    Am I the only one ---
    Is --- possible

The answer to those type of questions are yes, everything is possible, truly.

Just to answer your question without much detail, yes something can be sexy and scary. It's all about personal preference , though. Use your imagination :)

5. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

I have this thing that I can't be aroused when I'm scared shitless, so in my universe such a combination does not exist. Sure, you can look at someone from afar and be like "that's a hot piece of ass," but when you find out they're 666 kinds of evil and out to kill and torture you or some such, well, the magic kinda wears off.

This is actually a trope I really dislike. I can forgive it when it's about magic, like the bad guy/girl puts a whammy on their victim, or if it's a BDSM thing, but other than that, it's something of a pet-peeve of mine and I tend to leave anything that looks like romanticization of evil and terror untouched.

If you want an example -- it's not a book though -- but in Buffy the Vampire Slayer the character of Spike was portrayed as sexy yet scary, 'cause for a long while you thought he's always out to kill you, and that's it. However, unless I was a vampire I wouldn't have tried to woo him, I would've run for my life.

It's also subjective what's scary and what's sexy. It can be done, I'm sure, but not all readers will buy it or enjoy it, as is the case with pretty much everything.

6. Wowzie

Wowzie Member

Rape = sexy + scary, I think.

7. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Contributing Member

What about Megan Fox in Jennifers Body?

8. txtsd

txtsd New Member

I'm sure a LOT of people are uncomfortable with the concept and notion of rape, and do NOT find it sexy.

obsidian_cicatrix likes this.
  9. Killer300

Killer300 Active Member

Something I realized in hindsight. This trope, I realized, suffers from the two most personal genres, in the sense that they're appeal varies even more wildly from person to person compared to others, are being put together. It is already varied what someone is likely to find scary or sexy quite a bit, so trying to put them together is… rather difficult, to say the least.

10. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

You mention the evolution of Dracula into sexiness as a kind of negator. I would argue that the fact that his character did evolve in that direction though the romance or bow-chica-wow-wow may not have been present in the original (which is arguable) is proof of concept. Why would he evolve in that direction if the allure wasn't inherently present to start with?

11. Killer300

Killer300 Active Member

Well, for one, apparently he evolved that way from the likeness of the person playing him in the really famous film adaptation.

With that said, my issue isn't that he got sexiness, its that it did seem to cancel out his horror elements. Vampires in general hasn't seem to been able to recover their horror value from becoming sexualized, instead being trapped within that concept.

12. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Of which adaptation do you speak?

13. Killer300

Killer300 Active Member

The first one by the Hammer Film Productions, I think. The actor was, unintentionally I'm guessing, way more charismatic and attractive than Dracula was in the book, and from there, Vampires changed a bit in response.

14. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Wasn't Dracula literally all about sex, and Victorian repression of sex? That's the subtext of that novel that I understood anyway.

Wreybies likes this.
  15. Wreybies

That's what I meant by "arguable" in one of my prior posts herein. Though it's all metaphor, the story is deeply sexual in nature if one is willing to read one level deeper.

Lemex likes this.
  16. Lemex

Yeah, it's certainly what I got from it. I must admit, that scene when Harker describes the vampire women coming through the window to stand around him ... let's just say I suddenly wanted to be alone, haha.

17. Wreybies

BTW, this conversation has me hunting down the 1992 version with Gary Oldman. Freakin' love Oldman! And in that version they pay respect to my inner linguistic nature that rankles at the pronunciation of Dracula as (drak-yuh-luh) as opposed to (dra-kool-ya) which gives the word the correct genitive partitive ending.

18. Lemex

Is that right? I didn't know that. Learned something new. :)

19. Killer300

Killer300 Active Member

Ah… okay, I must admit, I must have missed that about the novel. That would explain some things, to say the least.

Although actually, I wonder how the book ages then because our society isn't nearly as repressed, to say the least.

20. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributing Member Contributor

How about making love to a succubus who honestly likes you and whom you love, but which might yet succumb to her instincts and rip your heart out just when you have your orgasm? Does that glow in her eyes mean she's having a good time or . . . .

21. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

Ah yes, that was amazing. Also, his hair looked like tits. Not bad.

Wreybies likes this.
  22. Wreybies

Ha! Yes! :) Big matronly bosoms like Mrs Garrett had in Facts of Life. ;)

[​IMG]

KaTrian likes this.
  23. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

Yes, if at least two of my former girlfriends are any indication.

24. erebh

erebh Contributing Member Contributor

How many women fall in love from a distance with real life serial killers on death row?

I think they're more scary down the dudes awaiting the chair!

Having said that, if there were the most beautiful, sexy, gorgeous twin girls in front of me, head to toe in black PVC and I had the choice of one at my disposal for a night, but was warned one would eat me after... I'd drop an e and a viagara and off I'd go!

25. Moneica

Moneica Member

Yes I would say for sure that they can be.