Can they really say that? 0_o

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Torana, Jun 18, 2009.

1. TheFedoraPirate

TheFedoraPirate New Member

Yeah, in the U.S. calling someone "spastic" or a "spaz" really only means you find them hyper-active or clumsy.

They probably should've changed when they brought it over, though.

2. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I'm starting to feel really bad for some of the words that I use...

3. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I'm really glad i'm not the only one. *sighs of relief*

4. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

This isn't a new controversy. I know of at least two video games that were temporarily recalled from Europe for insensitive use of the word "spastic." One was a Mario Party, and the other some kind of brain exercise game. The fact is that the word is completely innocent in the United States and most people here probably don't understand the negative connotations it has elsewhere. It's a matter of cultural misunderstanding and sensitivity.

5. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

This show was in Australia? The country that wanted to ban Santas from saying "ho, ho ho" due to the current negative connotations? :eek:

*No seriously, it's not right.

6. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

It was only ever for children. The whole adult obsessives thing was an abberation.

And I refuse to believe that twat features in Harry Potter. That would cause an absolute outrage.

7. hiddennovelist

I've read Harry Potter more times than I could ever keep track of and you're right, Banzai, I've never seen the word "twat" in it.

Granted, I've only ever read the American versions of books 2-7, but I've read the English version of the first one, and it wasn't in there, either. People would have freaked out.

8. John Locke The Cat

John Locke The Cat New Member

This thread is starting to make me cringe.

Don't feel bad for the words you use. Unless you are intentionally singling out a certain person or group of people in a negative, insulting, discriminatory manner, then there is nothing wrong with your word usage. On a personal note, I am a strong advocate of mock humor to such overly sensitive issues (which is why I'm a fan of South Park) but I agree that certain, out-right, derogatory discrimination should be censored in children's TV shows.

Although, from what I can tell, today's children's TV shows are empty of any kind of substance, and seem way more stupid than what I watched as a kid, but I could be wrong? Perhaps this is contributing to our fall in education/intelligence?

People are "trained to be offended" about words they probably otherwise would not be offended about.

There's a difference between humorous language and intentional discrimination.

I don't know about the big "spastic" deal since I'm not Australian, but as for the adult Disney jokes? Give me a break. A child isn't going to understand the adult Disney jokes, that's why it's so much fun for the adults, and for kids to then grow up and understand them. Why don't we just take the fun out of everything?

9. hiddennovelist

I'm with you on this. I used the word d*** on facebook and my cousin asked "weren't you an English major? Can't you come up with better and more sophisticated words to use?" and I got into a huge argument with her because I feel that all words were created equal. If a word fits what I want to use it for, I'm going to use it. I don't care which word it is.

However, I also think when there are impressional children involved, care should be taken to avoid certain words, especially if the parents of said children object to the words. For instance, I would have no problem swearing around my children if I had them, because I don't see anything wrong with swear words. However, my brother and his wife don't like profanity, and so I would never swear around their son. It's about respecting other people, not feeling bad about the words I use.

This is true. I remember watching movies as a kid and enjoying them, then watching them when I was older and going "wow...I didn't understand any of this when I was younger..." and enjoying the movie even more after that.

10. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I don't believe in changing every word for every culture.
    If they air it in Australia and it came from America and it was called Spastic dance they meant maybe jerky dance, or crazy dance.
    People won't be able to speak if we censorship everything.
    Soon, the words maybe and happy will insult people.
    We'll be talking like this from now on since every word offends everyone:

What if apostrophes offend someone?

What's nice about this world is that we have a written and spoken language.
    But if we take it away with censorship.
    Why build a spoken and written language only to stop using words?

11. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Fanatics have the right idea of political correctness. They asked our local MP for evidence that it actually exists :D

To a poster further up on this thread: How can you read the American and the English books? It's the same language! And as far as I'm aware England doesn't get its own version printed...

12. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

It's also used in describing certain forms of Cerebral Palsy. There is no such thing as a bad word, only a bad time to use it. I don't think we need to hide these words from our children, just trust our ability to teach them how to use them properly and when it could do some harm.

13. arron89

arron89 Banned

They are printed separately - they have different covers, and different actors read the audio books (though no one could outdo Stephen Fry, and why would you want to listen to anyone else??). I'm not sure if the actual content is any different beyond having Americanised (or should that be Americanized??) spelling.

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if it's a commonly used offensive term in the place where the show is aired, then it's offensive to use it on the show, period!

that's not being 'pc'... it's just being moral and ethical...

15. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Thank you maia!

16. Torana

See, that is where people go wrong if you ask me. So we call a female dog a b*tch in some places, is it ok for us to teach our children to call a female dog that? They will then have learnt that word and use it in everyday usage. Once a child knows a word, they normally use it, we may punish them for saying cursive words, but they will always come out, 9/10 times when we aren't there to stop them using it.

By the way you are saying that Rei, it sounds like teaching a toddler to say b*itch is ok... which it clearly IS NOT!

Parents spend a lot of time trying to make sure their children don't learn to pick up an offensive language too early in life. We end up in arguements and even falling out with friends and family because of their language usage infront of our children. So why should we allow tv to use such language when it is clearly unacceptable?

Also Rei, would you agree that every cursive word is ok to use? Every single one? Honestly? If they were, do you think so many places would censor them? Do you think that work places would allow people to use cursive words in every day conversation and not have a problem with it? I highly doubt they would be too pleased with workers if they were using certain cursive words in the work place....

Words like the c word and the word b*stard, I feel are not appropriate words for children to use. But you are basically saying that they can so long as they know when is the right time to use them. I don't think that it is appropriate for 4 year olds to walk around calling each other b*stards, even if they are using it in its right context. But it happened at my sons school. He was called one because he was born out of wedlock. Do you still think that is appropriate Rei?

17. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Children learn by example. If they see derogatory terms applied casually, they will imitate that, not knowing any better. If they get a reaction when they repeat it under less innocuous circumstances, it only reinforces their use of the term.

That is why extra care should be taken with childrens' programming. It is not always possible for parents to always supervise their exposure and explain why certain words or phrases are not always appropriate.

18. A2theDre

A2theDre Active Member

Torana, I think it would be perfectly acceptable for anyone to use the word bastard in context. It's just another example of words changing meaning. It used to just be a slang word to denote a person born out of wedlock. Both as an adjective (his bastard child) or a noun (his bastard).

I myself am a bastard. And someone can call me that and I don't care. It's true. I never swore as a child because I was punished (something that a lot of parents either misuse, or don't use). But I found quite a great deal of amusement when I found out what bastard meant at the tender age of seven, and told my mother that I was one (yes, I knew that I was born out of wedlock - current society has changed enough to mean that that is not a big deal). It was great to say that word and not get in trouble for it. I actually had a dictionary on hand the first time I told her though :D

If you don't want your child using a word, discipline them not to. If a teacher at school doesn't want their students swearing, then that's exactly what they do. Lines, detention, etc. I don't see what's so hard about it.

The more desensitised humans get to "offensive words," the better the world will be. Take the "N" word for example. It's only offensive if a white person uses it!

I'm sorry Torana, and this isn't a personal attack by any means, but people similar to you actually spoil it for those of us, like me, who don't get offended at such words.

Off topic: this is kind of similar to violence and whatnot in movies/programs. I was mightily disappointed as a child when Power Rangers was taken off the air due to some stupid kid jumping through a glass door.

19. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

In the end, it's up to the parents and other adults of a kid's life to teach them what is and what is not appropriate, not tv shows. If you as a parent don't want your kids repeating something, then teach them not to.

20. arron89

arron89 Banned

I generally agree with that idea with regards to censorship, but there still needs to be an intermediary between having them pick up bad language from TV and completely depriving them of possibly offensive media, which I think is the point here - children's shows should be a safe activity for children, but if even those need active censorship by parents, there is a problem. Obviously the parent is responsible for stopping a child turning on an adult movie at night or something, but the parent shouldn't have to be responsible for monitering the content of children's shows unless they have more specific moral or religious issues with the program, in which case as a minority it is up to them to do the censorship in their own homes.

21. hiddennovelist

They're different. The American version had a lot of the slang changed. I guess so us silly Americans could understand...?

Sorry to get off topic. Continue with the discussion...

22. ThePman220

ThePman220 New Member

Arguing over the morality of language is the equivalent of trying to bandage an amputated limb.

Language is just an expression of internal thoughts. Complaining about unsavory language has always struck me as a desire to ignore things we don't like.

This isn't to justify offensive language, mind. Calling for the genocide of the Jews or using the N-word, as some ready examples, is still bad in virtually any value system; what I'm talking about is the idea of not exposing people to said concepts via censorship.

Hiding from unsavory things or pretending they don't exist doesn't really help anything.

23. Torana

But a 4 year old? Do you honestly think it is perfectly acceptable for a 4 year old? I don't think anyone could find that acceptable. What I am trying to get across is that young children do need to have language like that censored from their tv shows. If a child can understand what a word means without it being drummed into their head, then maybe, but how can a 4 year old truly understand the meaning of such words and use them in context? The cartoon I referred to is aimed at young children around this age, and I don't think that they could truly understand what the word spastic means and could quite possibly offend others, and so I feel it should not be used in childrens cartoons.

I don't take it personally, but I do take my role as a responsible adult and parent personally and seriously. If it wasn't for people like myself, who knows what kind of profanity would be aired in childrens programs...

To be honest, I don't really see the need for the excess violence there seems to be in childrens cartoons and what not. We all have our own opinions on the matter. But at the same time, I think that parents should be far more observant and if they do not wish for their children to what childrens shows like that, then they shouldn't put it on.
    I mean, I have let my children watch movies like Dinotopia and disney movies, all of which contain violence. But that is by my own choosing. If their is violence or foul language in the movies, then my children have been exposed to that by my choosing, but in a childrens program, that is on every morning, I don't think that offensive language should be utilised when there are plenty of other ways they could have described what they were doing.

I know that we won't all agree on this matter, and it is always good to see others opinions on such things. But I refuse to change my mind on the usage of 'possible' offensive language in a 'young childrens' cartoon being acceptable and many parents I have spoken to about this have all seen the episode and have the same feelings as I do towards that particular episode of the show.

24. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

Huh. that's interesting. Not sure as America in its entirety, but I know for sure that Californians take no offense to spaz, spastic, or any other form of the word. sheesh I think I call my girlfriend a spas at least once a day. It's used more as to portray someone being erratic in actions and thoughts here. My girlfriend was going on about her day paused, yelled kitty! and ran off after one that before, was just casually strutting around the back yard....... spaz.

It most likely is an American cartoon.

NOTE TO SELF: Never call an Australian or English man a spas.

25. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I think you're over reacting, Torana, and seriously exaggerating it. You seem to think I make a point of using offensive words constantly in front of children. Would it surprise you to learn that I hardly ever even use the word "d**n"? Of course we shouldn't use the words in general. I just don't believe in making a special point of hiding words from children. That's what makes it attractive. What's important is teaching kids that they are "not nice" when we do come across them.

And how is it every time I talk like this, everyone automatically thinks of the behaviour of two-year-olds? I got the same argument about not using a historically accurate racist term in a book for 10-12-year-olds. By that point, teaching them the word is not going to do any harm. If they already have racist attitudes, teaching them the word won't make it worse. If they don't, they won't say it.

Besides, in my experience, if you tell a young child not to use the word the very first time you hear them use it, they don't. Don't make a big deal out of the word, and they see no fun in saying it. I was once helping a kid eat his yogurt, and some dripped on my pants. Jerk reaction. They were my best pants. I blurt out, "Oh, crap." He repeats it. I tell him, "Say oops." He says oops, and I never heard him use the word "crap" again.

A high school teacher told me a story about a no-tolerance policy about swearing at his school. Kids were supposed to be sent to the office if they swore even once. The teacher didn't go for that. He just quickly asked them to find a better word, and moved on. That proved to be more effective.