Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBTate

DBTate Senior Member

Can you be taught the art of writing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by DBTate, Jun 26, 2012.

A fairly self explanatory thread. Do you believe you can truly be taught to 'write'? I don't mean grammar, punctuation etc. I mean the actual art itself. The ability to create a real story.

Don't get me wrong, courses that improve on the basics of language and writing itself I believe to be extremely benefitial. I am doubtful however, that you can ever really be 'taught' to write.

A fairly self explanatory thread, but a difficult one to explain it seems.

What are your honest opinions?

2. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

I don't really think you can be. You have to have the story in you. Yeah, I know it sounds hokey and cliche, but I really see no proof that you can teach somebody who doesn't have it in them to get it in them. You can help them hone the craft all you want but they have to provide the spark or else it's just lifeless words.

3. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

I believe you can be taught the basic principles of creative writing just as you can be taught the basic principles of cooking. What you do with that knowledge is what becomes important and defining. To write well is something that takes passion, self-discipline, dedication and reflection. To me, creative writing requires creativity and that's something that drives my passion and dedication. There are lots of creative people who can't write well.

So, to answer your question. I think writing can be taught but being creative cannot.

4. huskylover103

huskylover103 Member

I think you can. Let me tell you why. Define creative? To me, that word, while the defintion remains the same, the perception of different people as to what is creative or not... is always different. If I were to be asked, "do you think this is creative enough?" without looking at the subject of creativity, i would answer yes. If they said, "You didn't even look at it," I would simply say, "You created it didn't you? Therefore it is creative.

Now, as to whether someone can be taught to write something SO creative that others will want to read? I am not sure. I think it depends on the teacher. :) Because if you have the right teacher, and the student listens and applies everthing that is taught, then I think it could be learned.

With that being said, some people will never get it. So, I guess it depends on the student too.

5. Estrade

Estrade Member

I think you can be taught the theories but you can't be given the knack of using them. So it's like the teaching of music or acting, you have to have a natural ability or there's no point knowing the theories.

So I don't know if that's a yes or a no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.