Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Procrastination Workshop

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Speedy, Mar 9, 2009.

(Posted it here because well, this is where i procrastinate)

Okay, so I’ve noticed a lot of people here, like myself procrastinating somewhat. Lately I have really struggled with this since finding these forums. On one hand this is a great place, yet on the other because of all the knowledge and fun here I have slowed down with my own writings.

So I thought, well why not combine our procrastination and do something. Something fun with an activity. No pass, no fail, just challenges to be set. I got this idea when I posted a thread on giving up smoking. Sure it was time for me, but by posting in on these forums I really put up a challenge (One I wasn’t allowed to fail though) for myself. It has worked thus far

Maybe if some of us here are struggling getting our ideas on paper/usb maybe we can tell others what goals we want to create for a set period of time. A page, a scene, a few hundred words. This can be done in a night, a week or even a month. The target doesn’t need to be anything grant. It can be really small. But it will be progress.

By just mentioning it to other people on here (who we respect) if might give some that little bit more motivation in completing that scene that’s been stuck on their head in November last year etc…

Anyway let me go first. I’ve had this scene that I have had in my head for about 3 months. For months on end I was looking forward to this scene. I was booking forward to writing it, yet eventually I got up to it and well I got half way and I stopping…I have not wrote one page in 2 weeks and its sad because I was looking forward to writing it, and I still am, but somehow I have not written it. I want to. And because of this,

I set myself a week in finishing it. (Sure i can do it in a quarter of the time) Than i'll set the next goal.

[​IMG]
    By speedyjjj at 2009-03-08

2. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Ok, so my goal (and it is a small one, I know) is to write at least 100 words everyday for two weeks. This is more to get me back into the habit of writing everyday. not mention it will help idea's and such flow alot better. Let's see if I can do it :)

3. Speedy

Do you have a favourite time to get "into" writing.

I'm a night owl, but it doesnt work anymore. It leads to me being tired and not being creative. I think i'm going to get some early nights this week and have myself set up in the mornings....

Maybe we can help each other out with this too, rather then just set goals.

4. yellowm&M

I don't necessarily have a specific time, more of when my mood is right
    but usually I can set my mood byt being alone and playing the right music
    but yes we should help each pther out with this too
    andd of course give motivation to each other :)

by the by I'm going to have to start my two weeks goal tomorrow...it's 10:15 here and I have to get up at like 5:00 so I need sleep,
    though this is a horrible way to start off not procrastinating lol

5. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

I would really like to get back to where I was at the end of last year, two thousand words a day. I'll start with trying to do that many words a day for this week. Oh and I loved that little comic, it's pretty much my life to a t. :p

...and now I'm off to do some more net surfing. :rolleyes:

6. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

Hmmm... I might get in on this. I came up with a story idea a couple of weeks ago that intrigued me, but at this stage it's nothing more than a rattle in mah head. O_O

I guess my goal, then, will be to get a first draft on paper. Time frame wise, err... I'll get back to you. :p

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This is an interesting thread. I'll have to come back to it later...

8. star_fire

star_fire New Member

i procrastinate with stories when i'm really not that into them. i was listening to this new age music the other day, though, and a really great idea for a story just popped into my mind. my goal: find some time to get it down on paper. probably this week. and not write too late into the night :rolleyes:

9. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I have a three hour lecture to listen to online.. I said to myself that I'd do it later.. that was a week ago.

Lol.

10. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

And somehow, you keep managiing to out do yourself. Bravo. :p

[​IMG]

11. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

My goal is to get a story done in time for a writing contest at the end of the month. Wether I choose one I am already working on, or to start a new one.

I didn't finish one goal I set for myself. I haven't written any poetry lately, and I wanted to enter the Weekly Poetry Contest before the deadline, and I managed that.

I keep a writing journal. I write down my ideas in a notebook, and when I want to write I just read through my ideas to see what jumps out at me. Sometimes I get a whole new idea! It's awesome.

12. yellowm&M

I am so proud myself lol
    I said yesterday I would start my tiny goal of writing 100 words a day tomorrow (which is today lol) but I still managed to write over 100 last night :D
    I did start my non-procrastination goal well! :D

13. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

I'm expecting to be pelted with grenades or something for this, but:

What is Procrastinating?

14. Xeno

I can procrastinate about anything. Homework, writing, eating. Anything.

1 person likes this.
  15. Speedy

heehee, thats nice!

I actually write some on the scene as well.

16. becca

Working on my contest entry. Going fairly well. :p

17. Speedy

I'm half way though ending this month long scene. Maybe posting threads up about wanting to do sometihng its like "The secret"

lol. I never said that.

18. yellowm&M

lol you might be right
    I'm doing better too :)

19. Speedy

Well i actually finished the scene in one day. (Though it was only three and a half pages). But god i feel good now. It's a nice feeling being able to advice the story.

New goal - Finish chapter one. I left out one final scene (though it's actually part of the last chapter, i need to wite it under the first chapter).

I'll give myself a week max to complete it. (Might take a while as it's as mentioned the lasr scene of the book, maybe five pages at most)

March 15 deadline

20. star_fire

star_fire New Member

good point xeno. personally, i feel that procrastinating is only procrastinating when it involves something very important to me. i mean, i'm not going to feel guilty about putting off lunch until one o'clock. but putting off that paper i'm susposed to write for university until the night before.....

21. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Guilt is directly proportional to the product of the importance of what you are delaying and the amount of time you procrastinate.

22. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I'm procrastinating doing some math right now. But that is because I'm bad at it and I don't like doing it cause I'm bad at it. :(
    Also I still take my seconday language classes, I'm still learning English to make it even better....and I'm procrastinating on that work too. -.-
    But teacher tells me that is optional and I can turn the work in whenever I want. So that just enables me to procrastinate more.

23. becca

I have decided that I will not be writing the story for the contest. It has developed into a longer story, so I am setting myself the goal of making a complete outline for it to be a book by next weekend. :)

24. Xeno

Actually, if you're soley referring to writing, I've been procrastinating over Merry Hell for about two years! :D

I NEED TO START THIS BOOK!

25. yellowm&M

Ok so I'm going on 4 days, yay for me :)
    but the best part is, because of this I'm writing way more, that little bit everyday is a really easy goal but it's already making it way easier for me to come up with idea's and contiue my story (which is actually going somewhere :))
    this is all making me very happy :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.