1. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

If you were to die, how explain tunnel

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by chandler245, Apr 10, 2009.

If you believe in, when you are dying and a tunnel of light comes, how would you describe that? Or a dark tunnel with a light at the end. I am trying to describe a dream for my book (A dream I had) but things are fuzzy. I can't seem to remember how to say or explain this tunnel, and I haven't been in a tunnel before. Seen pictures, never been. So I have no idea how to explain it. I would assume it would be made out of rock if it's in the earth, but other than that I am lost. Any help please. And to answer the age long question that I get when things like this comes up "Yes, I lived in a really small bubble.) anyway help please.:rolleyes:

2. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Erm... well what did the tunnel in your dream look like? Describe it that way. :p

No but seriously. I think we all describe things differently. If you've never been in a tunnel before, then go with the descriptions of the tunnels you've seen or read about.

This question is a weird and hard one for me...sorry =/

~Lynn

3. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

Everything I have seen or read all subway tunnels. This was not a subway tunnel. It was of earth.

4. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

So describe it that way :)

5. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

As far as I can get is "Walking down a tunnel, deep with in the earth,) and that is about it... Ahhhhh

6. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

That is the lamest explaination or discription of anything.

7. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Well what does the tunnel look like? Is it dark, light? Is it dank? Is it dry or wet? Etc. Continue!

8. lazerus reborn

lazerus reborn New Member

'the shift between the empty darkness to twilight became inevitable as i moved closer to the inviting light. //throw something about pure in there aswell//

Does that help? its twilight hour here so i get my best material is a semi-aware enviroment...
    cheers

9. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I think only you can describe your tunnel.

I tend to not use the "tunnel" thing in my stories so I got no experience with it.

10. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

Thanks I will have to wing this.

11. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

Remember tunnels echo... haha it's all i got.

12. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

You're writing about something you've never seen?
    Try I-M-A-G-I-N-A-T-I-O-N.
    That usually does the trick.

13. SilverRam

SilverRam New Member

Usually in tunnels everything seems tight and constrained. The very air seems stale and feelings of being caught or trapped come up.
    That is what its like for me. Mm, never realized I've been in so many tunnels/closed spaced places before.

14. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Tunnels can also feel freeing...it just depends on if it's more of a *physical* tunnel or an *emotional* tunnel. (And yes, I like to use *'s in place of italics..and I couldn't spell the word so I just used another one.. :p)

~Lynn

15. Zayleus

Zayleus New Member

Does this really have to be a tunnel mindset?
    I'm sure you can expand this, and draw in some kind of imagery and a metaphor here and there.
    Perhaps explain the restless beat of the heart, the blinding light, the damp underground air. A stale sort of taste in the mouth. Explain the rush of the feelings.
    Put yourself in those shoes. Imagine it, live it and breathe it.
    It doesn't always have to be about making it up and trying to write about it. Live it, try to be it and maybe you'll see it.
    I'm all for that kinda stuff.

16. Henry The Purple

Henry The Purple Active Member

Lol, this really is a pickle, isnt it? Since I dont know of anyone who died and then returned to tell the tale, I think its best to describe your own ideas of death and spiritual transition. Thats why people read books, right? To see the authors vision of subjective matters such as this...

17. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

hmmmm

i've almost died so many times and that's no lie. not once did i see this tunnel. maybe i just never went far enough into the darkness.

i think you can describe it any way you see fit. who is to say otherwise.

if i was to try, hmmm. well i dont' believe in life -ever-after so why would i need a tunnel for? maybe a hole or flaming casket instead.

i do remember seeing lil things, memories, but nothing like a herd of them coming at me, but just lil things, sadly the situation around you doesn't allow you to ponder them out, too busy trying to get back to living i was.

i think i'd explain it as that, what you are leaving behind, not what you are going to. have pieces of living fall away, sensations like 'sight/hearing' your 5 senses, leaving the last sense, 'your thoughts or imagination' be the last.

hard to say as i said, never seen a tunnel, seen all the other stuff though that was trying to make me see one, that was scary enough.

interesting question and thought

18. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

The whole novel is I-M-A-G-I-N-A-T-I-O-N. but I can't say I was walking down a drak tunnel with a small light at the end and it smelled of bubble gum and the walls when I felt it seemed to be made out of marshmello, I want it to sound real. but thanks for your advice

19. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

Thank you so much for all your help. I read though your thoughts this morning and I got that part of the chapter done in my novel, thank you all

20. Moira

Moira New Member

At first there was darkness. Alone I walked forward unsure as to why I was moving at all. Then I saw it, light. Light so bright and glorious that it made my eyes water, my heart beat faster. I ran towards it. Its warmth caressed my cheeks like the sun as I neared.

That's all I could get. Sorry.

21. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Why not? Sounds real to me. The point is, it can be whatever you want, there's no right and wrong. Perhaps to you it did smell of bubblegum, no need to be so worried about what other people think.

22. g1ng3rsnap9ed

g1ng3rsnap9ed New Member

Things such as one's perspective of the afterlife are very subjective, and therefore nobody can properly tell you how to use your own creative-mind. You said that you've seen this tunnel in a dream, or you are using it under a dream-like situation so then if the tunnel is in a character's dream then use your/your character's imagination to fill in the pot-holes. (Ooh, sorry for the cringe-worthy metaphor. ;))

23. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Yay :-D Glad you got that part over with

~Lynn

24. architectus

architectus Banned

Darkness wrapped around me. In the distance a curved opening of light crept in, highlighting wet rocks. The ground was wet and soft. The smells were of damp earth. I pressed toward the light because it was all I could see.