1. Cornflower

Cornflower Member

weakness,strenghts and skills for a Villian?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Cornflower, Nov 1, 2013.

I want to write a new story. Ok, I know I have several stories on the go. But I need ideas for the villain of my latest story. What I DO know is she's a blonde, charismatic, 'friendly' person (to anyone who isn't disabled or is dark-skinned) who is a politician in a similar but alternative Earth where there is some magic (which the Villian knows as well as the Heroine does too). She is also a politician who is campaigning for Prime Minster in Canada at the time of the story's start.

2. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Sounds like female Stalin or Hitler.

3. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Only you know your characters well enough to flesh them out. Even if we did it for you, it's extremely likely that you wouldn't like what we'd done - a character's strengths and weaknesses can and will affect where the storyline goes, and so, as the writer of your story, you need to decide these things for yourself.

I suggest you do some research and have a look at some "bad" people, seeing what were their good points and downfalls. Look at the people you know, too. Is there anyone you hate? Why do you hate them? Are you jealous of another's abilities or possessions? What are they? It sounds like you may need a character sheet to work with, and so I suggest this one, as you haven't truly fleshed your villain out yet: http://www.epiguide.com/ep101/writing/charchart.html

You don't have to know what to put in the answer boxes beforehand; just write down the first things that come to your head, and then your mind will flood with backstory and future ideas for your character/s. :)

4. Cornflower

Cornflower Member

Well give me a least a starting point? I easily get skills mixed up with strengths. Or strengths mixed up with traits. It because of this kind of attitude is why I left this forum last time.

5. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Umm.. what they say is true. You already have your starting point, but everything else takes time to develop. I've been working on my own novel for four years now, and yes, though yours is a short story, it will still take time to work out the kinks. Everyone has strengths, but those can also be turned into weaknesses just as easilly. Besides, isn't it the point of the villain to seem dangerously powerful compared to the hero?

6. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I didn't mean to be offensive in any way, and I'll try to get you started as best I can.

In my view, strengths are part of your personality, such as determined, ambitious, or even literally strong. The same goes for weaknesses. Skills, meanwhile, are things which you do as a hobby, career, etc. These can be an aptitude for mathematics, playing the trumpet, etc. Traits are the strengths and weaknesses of a person compiled into one word, or at least that's what I've always thought.

Well if she's campaigning to be Prime Minister and she's charismatic, I would say she has some qualities that have let her climb this high. It could be really trivial things, such as a nice smile or a good dress sense, but it can also be major things: a fondness for children, or an enjoyment for parties and all things social. These types of things would definitely help her get on people's radar, and having a hatred for black and/or disabled people would be covered up by this stuff.

Then again, if you're looking for bad things, perhaps she bought her way into the system, and so we then know that she is either rich or knows someone with money. Maybe she used a loanshark, and she desperately needs the role of Prime Minister to pay back the person who gave her the money, which would be her motivation in the book. She would be greedy, selfish, and a little bit rude if this was the case. Just as an extra thing, I would have thought being married and having children would also get her into the limelight, if she was trying to lead a country.

Hope this helps. :) Again, sorry if I made myself sound offensive.

7. Cornflower

Cornflower Member

@ketishma its not really a short story its more of like a little novel.

@Thomas Kitchen. I accept your apology. I know she's playing "friendly" to get people to vote for her. aka by saying she's will get jobs for everyone.

8. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

well all the more reason to let it develop well :D (tried to make a joke here but failed)

9. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Okay, Cornflower, don't try to overthink this. You start with people. And just as with 3-D, warm-blooded people, your story characters have a presence that the world sees and one they keep to themselves most of the time. Most villains do not try to show their 'villainy' to the world because that would not be conducive to the manipulation of victims. No. Instead they will present the most advantageous persona - one of benevolence and goodness, to whatever degree they are capable. You have undoubtedly met many people such as this in your life. People you thought were good, decent people but who, eventually, showed their true colors and you realized they were not of the character you believed them to be.

The 'bad stuff' comes out gradually and after the initial introduction.

The same holds true for your fictional characters. You create a sympathetic character and then their less than sterling qualities come out one or two at a time as you get to know them. This is the natural flow of people in general for the most part, both real and imagined.

10. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

A villain can be any and everyone (especially in my The Sentinels series) so you're gonna have to go in depth a bit

What exactly is this said villains focus? What are you trying to portray with her? You've gotta bring her to your world or go to hers. Become a character she encounters and see what how she acts, what does she say? You'll figure out what the character can and will do and what you'd like to be their strong and weak points.

I know a character of mine, Victor Cros, was physically abused by his father every time he spent time with his childhood Black friend. The beatings became so bad Victor lashed out at her and "her kind" and blamed them all for his pain. As an adult he's still so mentally scarred by this he considers anyone who isn't White an enemy.

Victor's past and upring works extremely well with his cruel calculated nature, enabling him to easily target his foes and plan for them. It's also one of his greatest weaknesses just bringing up the old hatred for his father and his goes from being a man with 160 IQ to a ill-tempered child. His powers are Lightbending, Using Light and reflection of light to harm or deceive.

11. vcarson

vcarson New Member

I think there are two kinds of villains.

1. Outwardly aggressive- This is the kind of villain you see in Disney movies, or battling a superhero. This villain is very obvious to the reader/viewer. They use their physical strength or mental ability to achieve what they want. They are usually obsessed with having control over others in a very literal sense, such as by taking over a country by force. If their plans don't work or are stopped, they are usually not able to recover. Ex. Scar, from Lion King. He outright went after for what he wanted and eventually took control of the kingdom by killing the current king. When he lost control, he was not able to restore his power, and was eventually killed.

2. Quietly manipulative- This is the villain that no one sees coming. He/she is always charismatic, charming, smart, and usually attractive. They know what they want in life and carefully maneuver everything around them to get it. This person is as morally corrupt as the aggressive villain, if not more. The fact that the person is even a villain should come as a shock to other people in the story. The person sees others as "puppets" to control and use for their own benifit. Ex. In the novel that I am currently writing, Felicity is the main antagonist. She is very intelligent, clever, beautiful, and devious. She uses everything in her power to get the two things she loves most; money and social status. It isn't enough that she was born to one of the richest families in the US, or that she married one of the richest men in the world (who is twice her age). She constantly uses her charismatic charms to climb up the social ladder. Felicity has no morals at all and singe-handedly causes her sisters' depression. Felicity is also able to out smart anyone who questions her true intent.

12. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

weakness,strenghts and skills for a Villian?

That's easy, just look at the villainous behaviour of the current Canadian PMO and the senate.

thewordsmith likes this.