1. KRHolbrook

KRHolbrook Member

Can you write a story a day?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by KRHolbrook, May 7, 2012.

I'm interested in finding out if anybody has been trying out the Storyaday.

A lot of my friends have been talking about it and shooting out stories like crazy with the writing prompts. Gets your creativity going when you're having one of those days that you either don't feel like writing, or have nothing to write about. I was going to try it, but I'm trying to touch up the first three chapters of my story for submitting into a contest. Plus I'm a procrastinator by nature, and internet and video games don't help me there.

Anyone else know about this site? Tried it? If not, are you going to try it? :)

2. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

I've been working on my novel for so long, and it has mostly been me trying to plan it out, and not getting much writing done. The past couple of days I've started writing a story a day just on my own, so I don't get out of the practice of it, but not with any website or anything. Just typing out a quick 500-600 words to make sure I can get some practice in.

3. Davylove21

Davylove21 Member

Every assignment I've handed in has been done the night before. I'm working on a script AND an original piece for tomorrow (then it's all over!)

I'd say you definitely can but the quality varies. I make mine up as I write and I've had the full spectrum of marks given to me, 40 through 70+.

4. Ettina

Ettina Active Member

I find it extremely difficult to write short stories. Probably 90% of my ideas are novel ideas that I simply could not pare down into a short story. And even at my most inspired, I can't write a novel in a single day. (A week or two, yes. A day? No.)

5. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

You can write a novel in a week?

6. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

I dig the idea and concept. You're not likely to write anything of significant quality by writing a story a day, though it can keep you disciplined, and you never know when you read these old stories that you can put something together for something greater. I'll try it, someday.

7. KRHolbrook

KRHolbrook Member

Some people actually can write a novel in a week, the quality of it, however, is not something most people would want to read, lol.

8. bakalove

bakalove Member

i can think of a story a day but my writing style makes my mind work in over drive so i get tired of writing after about 200-300 words and ill have to take a break and start again xD

9. louis1

louis1 Contributing Member

i've been writting a novel for almost a years now and I'm still not done with the plot. so a story a day.. nope.

10. KRHolbrook

KRHolbrook Member

I've been writing my novel for longer than that, but I'm able to write a story a day if I have the mind to do it. I'll see if I can't try the story a day and post them on my blog for people to read.

Edit: They'll be rough drafts, of course.

11. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

CAN I write a story a day? Eh, sure, if I wanted to. But I don't.

Well, revision can take care of that. I believe that a decent novel can at least have a rough draft completed in a week. I think my record was just over 2 weeks for a novel draft and I do think it was at least decent.

12. KRHolbrook

KRHolbrook Member

Most people do it just for exercising their mind. I wouldn't mind doing it, because at the end of the month in May, I'll have 31 short stories that I just need to polish up in order to send them out to a publisher.

Compared to more than a year working on a novel, I quite like those numbers. :)

Of course revision can take care of it. Revisions can take care of anything in a rough draft format. However if someone came up to me and asked me to read the rough draft that they'd done in two weeks or less, I'd say no.

13. Show

^^^^ Eh, I guess it's good in exercising the mind. At the same time, you don't necessarily need to write down your stories to exercise the mind. There's always a story or twelve brewing in my head. ;) And I don't typically spend more than a year working on a novel. Even with polishing factored in.

Well, one could say the same thing about a bunch of short stories written in consecutive days. I am at least as inclined to believe that somebody churned out a palatable novel draft in 1-2 weeks as I am to believe that they wrote a good short story every day for a month. Both are not the norm, so I don't think it's fair to write off something simply because of how fast it was produced. Heck, if somebody was inspired enough to push out a whole novel draft in 2 weeks, I might be more inclined to look at it than if they had to push out a short story just to keep pace with a "1 a day" schedule. Inspiration is powerful stuff, after all. All I'm saying is that if somebody can write a short story every day, they can certainly produce at least a decent rough draft of a novel in a few weeks.

14. KRHolbrook

KRHolbrook Member

True, they both aren't the norm, however novels have more depth to them, have more descriptions, possibly more characters, thrive more on setting, and words, while short stories have all of that, but to a lesser extent. Novels need more polishing than short stories (in most cases). I've read the first page of someone's first draft novel and couldn't go any further with it until they touched everything up. My friend from school had dished out a novel in record time, and though it had a great plot to it, the writing wasn't the greatest because she spent more time shooting out a stream of words to finish the novel.

15. Show

Well, I'd argue that could be the case with a short story as well. It requires considerably less, but it still requires a decent amount of all of those things. (And for the purposes of this discussion, let's not worry about polishing. We'll just consider drafts given the strict time restraints.) So a short story a day? You have to create a new story every day. I could see a day or two of inspiration leading to some good pieces, but honestly, you're going to have a difficult time convincing me that it's possible to write a good short story every day for over a month but it's not possible to put out a half decent draft of a novel in two weeks.

Novels might require more of everything that makes a short story. Let's say it takes at least 14x more from a fairly decent sized short story. If you can write 14 good short stories in 2 weeks (which I believe is what you claim), why not a novel? You don't need to start from scratch with every new chapter, so I would think it'd be even easier so you can build from what you have. And arguably, I'd say that you'd be dealing with LESS characters with a novel if it's one novel verses several short stories over the same period. It'd be less setting as well and probably less descriptions. More cumulative words? Perhaps, but if there is inspiration flowing, it's doable.

I could say the same thing about not being able to read the first page of a short story churned out in a day (or even better, the one churned out after several days of churning out one short story a day) that you said with the novel. When you rush anything, the writing will probably be compromised. But, sometimes you do gotta strike while the inspiration is hot. And as I said, once you got a draft, you can work on touching it up. But I think it's at least as likely to write a novel draft in 2 weeks as it is to consistently write a story a day for an extended period of time. (I actually did write a novel draft in 2.5ish weeks once and while it obviously needed/still needs considerable work, I felt it was probably at least as up to par with works that took 3/4 times as long.)

16. KRHolbrook

KRHolbrook Member

Well said, Show. You provide valid points. :)

17. Show

^^^Thanks! :) Of course, I prefer to not do either the 2 week novel or the daily short story. lol

18. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It's certainly doable, but it isn't something I would consider doing. I think Hemingway's method is more reasonable. He wrote one good page a day. I think that's a fair balance between quality and quantity.

19. KRHolbrook

KRHolbrook Member

A short story can be a single page, though.

20. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That's usually called flash fiction.

21. Show

I've tried flashfiction and it really wasn't for me. It was smothering. Just because something in writing CAN be done (and even done without it being absolutely unreadable drivel) doesn't necessarily mean it's exceptionally memorable or compelling either.

22. KRHolbrook

KRHolbrook Member

I've written two flash fiction pieces, have both of them in contests. A six-word story I created (inspired by Hemmingway) won a contest as well. I'm better at writing smaller piece of fiction than the longer short stories of over 1k words.

23. Show

^^^^I do suppose we all have our own individual areas of talent that we should cultivate! :)

24. KRHolbrook

KRHolbrook Member

Yes, we do. :) I've never liked reading short stories--always been put off by them, but I think that's because I've never really written any. I just can't ever seem to figure out how to put together a beginning, middle, and end in 5k words or less. I think like a novelist too much.

25. Show

^^^^I get that. It's why I got so few short stories in my catalogue. (But I AM glad I wrote them cause one of them is currently the only thing I have in any kind of official print. lol) But I do think it's doable. Maybe just think of it as writing a scene of a novel that can stand alone.