1. MJLowson

MJLowson Member

Cannot get my WIP going? It's starting to annoy me.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by MJLowson, Dec 26, 2011.

I don't know whats happening to me here, I've planned out my latest (characters and plot) WIP and both yesterday and today I've sat down to write (on the PC) and found that I cannot get any words out - tried to carbon write on paper (what I do usually before transferring it to PC) but again I cannot seem to get any words out. Planning stories seem to be fine - just I cannot seem to get any words out and it's driving me nuts.

I've had writer's block in the past, normally it's just been a point. I've ran out of steam in other projects but never have I had the problem where I cannot get paragraph one down.

I know it sounds comical but I feel like a writer who cannot write. :(

Any advice would be warmly appreciated;

Thanks

Matthew

2. ThinkingCliché

ThinkingCliché New Member

All I can say is, your not alone (I have the same problem). I found just writing a really, really rough draft of the story helped. Even those writing books sometimes contained handy tips and hints.
    Anyway, hope that helps and I'll be interested to see what comes out of this thread.
    Good Luck!
    -ThinkingCliché

3. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributing Member Contributor

Either don't plan the story - that is, just wing it and fix any incoherence later - or do something like the snowflake method on it. Start with a sentence that describes the story. Then expand it to a paragraph. Then expand it to half a page, then a full page, then four pages, and so on. Do what you have to do.

Still, try not planning a story. If I plan stories, I find it really hard to write them. I need an element of discovery, of not knowing what I want to happen.

4. VM80

VM80 Contributing Member Contributor

Maybe try writing something (anything) off the cuff; don't worry about sticking to your outline or plan.

Sometimes that can help kick-start you into getting into that 'writing zone'.

5. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

I'd say keep thinking about it until you HAVE to write it, until you can't keep it in your head any longer.

6. AmyHolt

AmyHolt Contributing Member

I use this sometimes. My first hundred words or more is trash and then something starts talking to me. I think a super rough draft is better than no rough draft because it always easier to fix something than creature something from nothing (for me).

I use this too. Sometimes I just have to put my story down and let my subconscious work on it for a few days. In the meantime, I read books or write other lighter stuff not related to my story. When the story has had a chance to proof, I pick it back up.

7. Anarchist_Apple84

Anarchist_Apple84 Senior Member

As a over planner I understand this fully - I meticulously plan EVERY detail of my story before I start writing, which more often than not has the complete opposite effect than you'd imagine when you begin working. I run out of steam or even worse, can't even start!

As people have mentioned, don't plan too much, the best and worst advice I can give you is: Don't think, write!

Get as much onto paper as possible, don't reread a sentence, don't pause on a paragraph, don't even think of looking at facebook or youtube! Just write for an allocated amount of time, it's really that simple. You'll get a surprising amount done this way and yes, a lot of it will be so bad you'll never want it to see the light of day, that's fine, because at least you have something to edit now! :D

I work for an online mag writing game reviews, well, its more of a hobby than anything else, they don't pay well! Anyway, in my first few reviews I'd get all caught up in my opening paragraph, or even on a specific sentence, and they'd taKe forever! Then I got into a system, one A4 page, and only one, of all the notes I will need in orderly bullet points. I'd gaze up at this every 5-6 mins while furiously tapping at the keys, an hour later, I'd have a steaming 1,500 words of material my editor will NEVER see. Then I'd go make a coffee and the real work would start. I find this approach at least, works wonders for me, as long as I have material there, I have no real difficulty hammering into something people will want to read, if I obsess and try to make it sound amazing as soon as I start typing, I struggle then end up clicking "like" on inane Facebook statuses.

8. Ettina

Ettina Active Member

What's the opening scene? Figure out what that is, and write it. If you have several possible openers, write all of them and then pick the one you prefer.

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I read an interview with a famous writer once (I don't remember who it was) who had this kind of problem. So finally, in desperation, he sat down and started writing his story in the style of one of those old "Dick and Jane" readers (most of you are way too young to remember those!). So the prose came out like "See Spot run. Run, Spot, run!" And so on.

It worked. It got him going - got him something he could revise.

The point is this: Find some way to kickstart yourself. Don't worry about the style or anything else. Just get black on white.

(I know I've said before that this isn't the way I work. But this problem isn't one I face.)

10. Gracia Bee

Gracia Bee Member

I am the exact opposite...... What you have to do is write absolutely TERRIBLY and then get past it.... Edit it or rewrite.

11. AmsterdamAssassin

AmsterdamAssassin Contributing Member

You'll have to edit what you've written anyway. Start with the scene most vivid in your mind, regardless where it fits within the story - you can always give it its specific place in the manuscript later - and go from there. Just write scenes, then try to string them together. When you assemble your string of scenes, you'll find scenes missing and you can write them and fit them in.