1. Krystle Robison

Krystle Robison New Member

Beginning middle and end

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Krystle Robison, Aug 12, 2012.

I always have the beginning and always have an end but i seem to get stuck in the middle does anyone have any tips for working out the middle?

2. Ambition101

Ambition101 New Member

What issue specifically do you have with middles? Is it that you can't think of something realistic to connect the middle with the ending? Are you writing a short story and have too much important information that you couldn't possibly include? Are you have trouble working out the order in which to write scenes?

Middles need to build upon what you've set up at the beginning and also set into motion the conflicting forces that will bring about the climatic final conflict of the ending. It needs to further characterise your cast and settings. Generally, things start out relatively mundane and, over the course of the story, become more extreme in emotions, conflicts and decisions.

Does that ignite any ideas?

3. Cupcake0118

Cupcake0118 New Member

If you've got your beginning and end you should know what your MC is trying to achieve, and if their endeavour will be successful or not. So the middle is basically the steps the MC will take to achieve that goal and the obstacles which slow down/prevent the MC being successful, or alter the path the MC was on...simply, I mean Goal > Conflict > Resolution > Conflict > Resolution etc. all the way to the success or failure of the MC. I hope I'm making some sense :p

Any way, my advice essentially is: Write a plan for your story first! :)

4. fwc577

fwc577 New Member

Is this for a novel?

If so I suggest reading something like The Writers Journey or anything on structure and multiple arcs, subplots, etc.

I am working on a Novella right now and I honestly think it might become a full blown novel with everything going into it because as I actually write I think of more crap to keep adding.

5. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Middle IS your story. If you don't have a middle, you don't have a story. Middle is when everything happens, all the twists and wrong turns and false climaxes and incomplete resolutions.
    I find that subplots greatly enrich the middle of the book, as the theme gets to be explored from several different aspects and points of view.

6. Krystle Robison

I have half a middle i just seem to get stuck getting from that point to the end and feel like im just being repeative about things

7. beajumarang

beajumarang Banned

You have a half a middle and need to get the action going, right? Can I ask what your protagonist is doing at this point? Is he or she responding to events or already tackling them proactively? Meaning, is he or she being a responder or kinda in attack mode? If I get an idea, I can write down possible suggestions. And a disclosure, I studied story structure intensely. Maybe I can help if you want? Do share, I'd love to find out if I can assist you.

8. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

The best thing I can suggest is to spend some time on analysing the plot, and developing it more. Generally, you should have way more ideas and content than can fit into one book. Then when you edit, you can remove. It doesn't work very well when you have to add to make up a word count.

9. beajumarang

beajumarang Banned

I think you should also just turn off the internal editor. Many writers I know get blocked when they try to make things perfect. Just let it out and polish later. If you can do that, generally the words will just flow unhindered. You may find that you've solved your problem by the time you get to the end of the freewriting exercise.

10. Krystle Robison

my internal editor is the WORST i once entirely deleted 164 pages or more because i decided i didnt like it my problem is i feel like i squish all the action in with no filller because i dont want it to get boring and then as i reread im like yeah little breaks from action wouldnt be so bad

11. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

My guess is this is a character issue.

Most stories aren't about the plot ( some are they're called plot-driven stories)
    most are, how the characters handle the plot.

Think about it - a lot of books feature the same formula, it's the
    characters that are different and their decisions that make it unique.

Go back to your characters - re-examin them - don't think in terms
    of character forms - listing traits and vague interests and fears.
    Think in big terms - what does you character like to do with his
    or her free time. Give them mini goals - Maybe your character
    is trying to patent an idea for heated earmuffs, maybe it's as
    simple as your character trying to get back into a pair of highschool
    jeans , or stop chewing her nails, or finally getting an A in math.
    This will help you make obsticles, sub-plots, or symbolism.

12. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Krystle,

The middle is where you develop your character arc. In the beginning, you establish who he or she is and a problem they have to solve, the end is, of course, the resolution. The middle, however, is where you send your character "through the fire" to allow them to grow. This is the time where a transformational event takes place, which leads to a decision, or action, that leads to the end.

Instead of getting tied up in "beginning, middle, and end" work on, and undestand, your character arcs. That is what drives your story more so then anything else.

13. Krystle Robison

I have a problem more with the 2nd half of the middle i get about 3/4 of the way through then i get stuck on how to tie it all together :(

14. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

I personal see the beginning to a story as a question, I see the middle as the possible answers to this question and the end the answer, whether it is the correct answer is another matter. Here is my example; I have a short story were the MC is climbing out her bedroom window (the beginning- where is she going?) the middle of my story tells the reader she is meeting her lover and they plan to run away together, and why her father disapproves of their relationship? My ending shows, the repercussions of this meeting - she reaches the meeting place to discover he is not there, she waits for him, she falls asleep, and awakes the next day to discover her did not come, he never intended to meet her.
    I hope this helps.