Cant post in Fan fiction section?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by EricaJRothwell, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

I like the painting analogy. I can't paint. But I can look at a painting and say that "this isn't as good for me as a painting by El Greco, because it doesn't have as much excitement." I may not know how to put excitement into a painting, but at least I can give my opinion for the painter to consider.

2. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Nicely said Erica! I agree with you completely! :)

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Well, ... You have demonstrated pretentiousness in your responses to various explanations of why critique is helpful to the critiquer, even more so than to the writer whose work is critiqued. I maintain that the requirement of critiquing in order to receive critique is valid, and that one need not have some particular established credential in order to express an opinion, as a reader, of a particular piece of writing. You insist that said requirement makes you feel pretentious. The fact that you interpret the requirement in this manner is your own issue. The requirement in and of itself cannot force you to feel anything. It is your interpretation of said requirement, and it can only be shown that the requirement is not intended to invoke such an interpretation. The fact that most others do not feel the same gives further credence to the idea that instilling pretentiousness is not the intent of the requirement. Given the definition of "pretentiousness" and "pretentious" which imply an undeserved air of authority or importance, I don't see how you can claim that you feel you have that, particularly if you state at the outset that you are not making such a claim. You may communicate your thoughts about the piece in a manner which implies knowledge and authority greater than the initial writers', or you may communicate them in such a way that demonstrates your thoughts and interpretations of the writing. You either assume superiority or you do not. That's up to you.

4. ...

... New Member

It's not what was left of the original that is the problem, it is what you added to it that spoils Wilde's original point and indeed does little more than create a setting for your own bias opinion. The way you have written the quote agrees with me in that getting critiques from inexperienced writers is one of the worst things you can do. I know you weren't trying to convey this and am just trying to help you get your point across correctly. You took the quote and ruined it to suit your own agenda, however it fails terribly. I'd suggest another draft or simply saying what you want to say without attributing it (no matter how loosely) to somebody else.

5. EricaJRothwell

EricaJRothwell Active Member

Thank you! I checked in the other writing bits I.e. short stories, etc and they too are missing the button so it must be that I haven't finished my initiation. Is it only two critiques that I have to write?

6. ...

... New Member

You can say whether you like it or not, but you can't critique the actual skill of the artist as you don't know anything about painting.

7. EricaJRothwell

Wow. I hope that not everyone on this forum are so argumentative! Give it up, it doesn't matter. All of this eneergy could be put into actually writing! Go forth, I say! Begone and work on your stories lol

8. EricaJRothwell

As a layman viewer of a painting you most certainly can critique the piece. We criqtique everything we see and hear in our lives, perhaps not from a technical view, like I said, but from the person taking in the piece of artwork. Is it nice to look at? Does it convey a message? And in writing, am I enjoying this? Does it flow? Am I bored because of there is too much irrelevant description? This will be the extent of the critique from our average readers and that is who we are writing for.(secondly. I assume most of us write for ourselves)

Oh God. I'm getting sucked in. Enough lol! I'm off to "critique," some work so I can start posting :D and then I look forward to having it "critiqued," by all of you!

9. EricaJRothwell

Thank you! You were very helpful x

10. EricaJRothwell

Lol, I wish. Nothing is straightforward in this life :(

11. ...

... New Member

You're fine you've been on since May.

I'd just like to share that I'm actually OK with offering people critiques. I have a good grasp of the English language and feel I have something to offer in that regard. I have no issues with it aside from feeling a little pretentious. That's definitely a real feeling I would have critiquing somebody else's hard work, however i would get over it fairly quickly. I'm simply saying things the way I see them, i don't mind the rules but I'm not going to pretend they make sense for everybody. Not all of us will be comfortable giving critiques.

My reasons for joining this site are for encouragement. i was going to join a live writing group but decided I could get the same from an internet forum and wouldn't have to leave the house. i just want to be around other writers as I get encouragement from that fact alone. I'm not really bothered about the critiques. I just need encouragement to keep writing... and this forum provides that just by my posting here and reading other people's work.

12. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

The rules are clearly laid out in the Writing Workshop. I'd advise all comers to familiarise themselves with those rules before they try to post or make a thread asking why they can't.

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Not only the rules, but the reasons behind them are covered in the posts linked in the Important Information section of the site home page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.