1. Vera Thomson

Vera Thomson New Member

Don't leave me hanging...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Vera Thomson, Apr 2, 2017.

Hello, I just dropped in to say 'Hi' and hopefully get a 'Hello' back.

I am looking forward to reading your posts and making a few of my own, and even though I am very nervous about the offering of a 'critique' part I will definitely do my best. Anyway, I hope you are all having a lovely day or, if in the UK like me, evening?

2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Hello :D

No need to be nervous about giving a critique, we all started somewhen/somewhere. Just keep in mind that you want to help the writer of the piece and you'll do fine! If you don't know how such a thing should look like, we have a ton of threads here designed to show how critiques can be done to help both the writer and the critiquer. Just use the search function (hint: @Wreybies has a few good points about giving critiques, look out his posts about this topic) :)

Anyway: welcome!

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Welcome, Vera!

For critiques, I personally find it most valuable when people respond as readers rather than writers - tell me what you liked or didn't like. That's all. No sophisticated analysis required!

What kind of writing are you doing yourself?

4. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

I've recently joined myself and this is a wonderful place with great people.
    Godspeed!

5. Vera Thomson

Vera Thomson New Member

Thank you all, and thank you for tips. Not really started yet to be honest, BayView. I have a plot with characters I'd like to do for a novel eventually but want to improve my writing skills before I even touch it, don't want to ruin it straight off the mark. I've just been focusing on practicing at moment by doing a writing course this year and trying to keep up with my writer's notepad. I heard it was good to practice to write short stories before starting a novel too so think I'll start there.

Do people here focus on a few genres and/or types of writing or do most of you tend to have a specific area you stick to? Guess it's different for all of you but thought I'd ask.

6. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Well, lately we've had a bit of genre-battling, and I think most of us do have our favourites, but... it's always fun to switch things around!

7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Obviously you'll need to write for your course and fulfill assignments. But when you start writing for yourself, do it for yourself. That's where the pleasure lies.

Write as honestly as you can, and write the kind of book you would like to read yourself. If you like a slow start, write a slow start. If you like intense romantic entanglements, write them. If you love a description-laden immersive setting, create one. Don't be hamstrung by a lot of 'rules,' unless you plan to write formulaic genre books. Most of the best writers the world has ever produced didn't take writing classes or read manuals. They just sat down and wrote. If you're a reader of books, you'll know when you hit your stride.

Don't feel you need to show your work to anybody, or even tell anybody that you're writing, until it's done to your satisfaction—or you really do get stuck and need feedback. Don't be timid and fearful and cautious. That won't help you; it will hold you back. Be bold and brave.

Remember, there aren't any writing mistakes you make that can't be corrected. Writing is a risk-free activity—until you publish it. You will make mistakes, but just get your story out, any way you can. Then you can begin to shape and refine it.

BTW, it IS good evening! I'm in the UK as well. Welcome to the forum, Vera. :)

8. Vera Thomson

Vera Thomson New Member

I love reading, although haven't had much time to lately, but hopefully I will know.

I am pretty sure there is no mistake that can't be corrected in writing, as you said, so looking forward to getting some feedback and of course writing some stuff for me rather than to a deadline. I panic with deadlines.

Genre-battling? I will have to read some more posts but sounds fun. The role playing section sounds good too, am looking forward to exploring that room in more depth soon.