1. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

Can't Think of Title

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Acanthophis, Dec 6, 2015.

So I've got this huge project due on Wednesday, and I decided to write a short story about mental disorders (depression and anxiety as the focal points), but I can't for the life of me get a title.

Some information:
    - It's written in first person
    - Name, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, etc. is never brought up
    - Takes place over a work week, with the character narrating their thoughts throughout the day
    - Hope is a huge theme; the first and last words being 'Hope'
    - Cynical and apocalyptic undertones (nothing gets better, what's the point, etc.)
    - Consciously aware that their anxiety is wrong, but falling victim to it regardless
    - Anxiety and depression are almost anthropomorphized
    - Comparing life to others
    - It's supposed to be a 'message' - showing the readers how depression and anxiety work, that people aren't always crying in bed or curled up in the fetal position like the media portrays them; daily functioning

If I think of any more information, I'll add it. I've been trying to think of a title for a while now. The story is done, edited, and ready to be submitted - but this damn title is holding me back. I'm really not looking for anything fancy, although I'd definitely prefer something with ambiguity, double/hidden meaning, or deceptive. Even if you think of just one word, it could be helpful!

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

2. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributing Member Contributor

My Life as a Jitterbug

3. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

In my experience the title doesn't matter because my editor always changes it anyway.
    I titled my last article "Feeling the Bern" just to see if my editor even bothers reading the title. Turns out he does!

4. Acanthophis

@KhalieLa Sadly, I do not have that option. The project is for a professor, and it takes the place of the usual research paper. Research was done, of course, over a twelve week period, but the professor wants something unique. It's being marked with the same scrutiny (minus some aspects due to the creative nature), so my title, as with any research paper, must address the contents to be read. If it were a regular paper I would just call it "Depression and anxiety: a look into the life of university students", or something along those lines. The title has to match the creativity of the story; which is why I find this so difficult. I want to capture the concept while avoiding a generic title. I'm never good with character or title names in general, but when I'm being graded on them, it's pretty daunting.

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

Thought for the Weak

Acanthophis likes this.
  6. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

Without actually reading it, it would be hard to title.

Maybe, Downfall of Hope, and then a semicolon and something descriptive about the work. Academic writing loves semicolons in the titles.

7. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

Too unambiguous. People with depression despise not having their illness seen as real, having their fortitude judged.

Acanthophis likes this.
  8. oTTo

oTTo Member

Hope Lasting
    Endure This, It Won't Last Long
    Perseverance Is Key
    Words That Strike Motivation Into You

9. oTTo

oTTo Member

I don't despise my depression not being seen as real. It don't care if others judge me or not. It is my suffering to endure. To me, the world I see is in my mind and the depression I feel will manifest into my reality if I cannot control it. Through meditation and self control I try to alleviate my depression before it grows into anxiety. And visa versa. Others judgment of my actions while I am depressed weigh little on my mind and soul, they are more of reality manifesting my own thoughts or other subversive thought area of my mind.

Just wanted to chime on that. (Diagnosed with depression and anxiety, while active duty military, 2007)

10. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

You're right. 'Despise' wouldn't really capture the experience of 100% of people with depression. It is unquestionable, though, that depression is real, and not a matter of "pulling yourself together" or a general inability to deal with life.

oTTo likes this.
  11. Acanthophis

This is all good, I feel like we're nearing the "ahah!" moment.

oTTo likes this.