1. Featheriel

Featheriel New Member

Can't write anymore...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Featheriel, Mar 18, 2013.

I'm new here, I found this forum by chance, and maybe someone can help...

I used to write a lot. I had that thing that makes you awake at 4 am and have to write that story that is running inside your head in that moment, like if you have no control on it. I never considered my stories and poems good, but many people close to me told me that what I wrote was incredible and very catching.
    For some years, I had a kind of blog where I posted some of my poems, and even some small pieces of my novels. I was stupid and completly unaware that people could just steal my writtings and publish as their own, as I knew nothing about copyrights at that time.
    But so, that was what happened. Someone who I considered a friend, that had already published poems on some anthology, stole some of my characters, poems and ideas for his own books. He even made a play with them!
    I showed "his" writings to some friends of mine, without telling them that it was something that someone else wrote, and they cleary told me "this is your story, right? but I see that you changed some stuff". I ended up finding myself as a victim of plagiarism, and I was the one to blame, because I was really naive.
    I tried to do everything I could to have my writtings back, but there was nothing I could really do. It's been 4 years now.

Since then, I am inexplicably unable to write.
    I tried and tried, but nothing. I have ideas and creativity, but as soon as I start to write, I lost myself completly, I cannot focus, like if since that event, I just blocked totally. I'm suffering, as I feel the need to write, but I can't. Like if I had lost all the confidence in my capacities. I can have a very good novel in my head, but I can't transmit it to the paper. And before, I used to do it just naturally. Like if I got so disgusted to be stolen by a cheap writer with no creativity of his own, that I just got stuck. I don't know how do I overcome this, so I am here to ask for your help and advices.

Thank you for reading me.

2. murasaki_sama

murasaki_sama Senior Member

First, you may consider talking to a lawyer, especially if your friend received any compensation or acknowledgement for the stories/poems/play. Posting something online counts as a form of self-publishing, and copyright should apply. Additionally, a person can plagiarize non copyrighted work, and still face legal penalties. A similar thing occurred in patents (kind of like copy rights for tools, I guess). Someone sold a patent to some warehouse store for something like 10,000 dollars. The patented tool earned that store/megacrop millions. The guy sued. Eventually, he even won.

Second, I can understand why writing would be hard for you after such an ordeal. Not only were you betrayed by your friend, a painful and traumatic event on its own, but you had your words stolen. Your poems, your stories, they are precious to you. I know that in my mind, what I write is an outpouring of my soul. To have that stolen would shake me to the core. I think that the reason you cannot write is because, in your mind, you no longer hold dominion over your own words, nor do you possess complete control of your own soul.

You need to regain ownership of your words; I'm not just talking about the legal aspect, which may be something you want to explore, it may not, I'm talking about the mental concept of ownership. You can't write because you don't feel like you own your words, like they are entirely yours anymore. I don't know how to help you get over that particular block. Any suggestions I might have would be frivolous, at best. I am not going to tell you to just write, or to try trusting yourself or any of that BS.

Although...hm...Perhaps you could consider this boy's story/poem/play to be base, sub-standard fanfiction. I do not know if that will help you feel more in control of your stories/characters/words, but it might help? I'm not really sure what else might help.

Sorry for being so unhelpful.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

Oh, dear. My sympathies.

If I had this problem, my first thought would probably be some sort of... OK, I don't know about the term "cleansing ritual", but it sort of expresses what I mean.

My first thoughts were:

- To write a scene of revenge against the thief. Maybe a bunch of scenes of revenge, in which all sorts of different horrible things happen to him.

- To write a bunch of junk and burn it, to reinforce my control of the work, the fact that it's MineMineMineAllMine!!!

- To sue him. Admittedly, a rather expensive cleansing ritual.

... and, OK, I fear that's all I've got, other than just writing. Writing garbage if need be - establishing a habit of writing _anything_, for half an hour five days a week, to see if forming the habit without the joy might, eventually, bring back the joy. Writing even if all you can manage is,

I'm looking at my shoes. They're brown and sort of suedey and there's a white spot from the sugar doughnut I ate before....

and so on. When I'm feeling blocked, I usually start, and sometimes end, with my shoes.

4. Featheriel

Featheriel New Member

Murasaki, you were very helpful, thank you so much.

I cannot do nothing in a legal way agaisn't him, because, first: when I realized he had stolen my works, I erased my blog. I had a lot of posts and didn't want him(or other persons) to steal more. All the proves, comments exchanged between him and me, were all gone. It was my words(me, a person without any book published), against his(a person that had already published something). I even warned his publisher, but the publisher was rude to me and made me feel like I was the thief.
    Second, he disguised everything well. Only the people who knew my stories, knew that he stole me indeed. Basically he had more 'status' than me. I could not even afford a lawyer...
    That being said, what's done it's done, I can't do anything. But you are correct, for me it was like someone stole a piece of my own soul. Since then, I don't even have any writtings inside my computer. I just printed them and left them locket in my desk. I also refuse to publish anything online again, until I have my copyrights.
    Maybe you're right, but what I feel is more like an incredible void, like I cannot continue, finish or start any novel. My mind is completly blank when I try to do it. If I can write something, usually very short poems, I end up feeling that it's uninteresting and I throw them in the garbage.
    Anyway, you gave me a very interesting point of view - like he did sub-standard fanfiction of my works - I believe this will help somehow. In fact he used to love my stories in an obcessive way. It's like he was a crazy fan indeed, but then it does not change what he did.
    I just hope I find a way to start writing again. I feel like I have stories to tell, I just can't give up, I just need to find a way of breaking this "block".

I never thought about that. I mean, I will not include him in any of my writtings, but the "write something" exercise seems a good start for me. Thank you so much.

5. murasaki_sama

I would like to encourage you to at least talk to a local Intellectual Property lawyer. While it is true that it is going to be difficult to prove anything, and perhaps impossible, the lawyer might be able to provide at least some advice. Additionally, civil lawyers frequently work in return for some percent of the settlement; so money may not be so important.

I am glad I could be helpful in some small way then.

Instead of focusing on your own stories, perhaps you need to focus on writing. You could try fanfiction, if you would be alright doing to published authors (for fun, not profit) something similar to what your friend did to you. If not fanfiction, you may want to consider roleplaying. Since the characters are often created for the roleplay, and the story is collaborative, no one is likely to try and steal anything. I am not sure if either would work, but since you would be surrendering control over them from the start, you might be able to regain your joy of writing before worrying about how to protect the stories that are entirely yours.

6. Bdriscoll3

Bdriscoll3 Member

It sucks that someone stole your work, but don't start calling him non creative and whatever else, because that just adds to the negativity, which seems to be a part of your problem of not being able to write. You don't need a lawyer either, if you are capable of getting published, you'll get published whether some of your work has been stolen or not. Focus on your work, not the legalities of past work, unless the compensation is huge.

Exercise, drink kale shakes, do whatever you need to do to rid yourself of the feeling that keeps you from writing, and from reading your post, it seems that the negativity is what is keeping you static.

Now for serious writing itself, you should create a time to write everyday. Whether you feel like writing or not, you write anyways. Eventually the muse will come back, don't wait for it to show up, you need to show up.

None of us can give you the exact advice to get past this, only you can do this for yourself.

edit: By the way, if you are planning to get something published, you can't post it on your blog, its already published when you do that. Don't delete your blog cause someone stole your work either, the point of the blog is for the people who are going to read it. Once something is out there, its bound to be taken from some way or another. BUT, the readers who read your blog won't care!

Keep at your blog, build your audience, don't let the fear of work being stolen keep you from posting your work to the world.

7. Nee

Nee Contributing Member

Your computer can prove that the story you are talking about was in fact created by you. Although, seeing how you didn't register your story at the copyright office you can not suit over "copyright infringement". However he can not suit you for libel for telling everyone that he in fact stole your story because you have the proof that you were the author. That is if you still have the hard drive that you wrote it on.

Now, if he merely stole ideas...well, too bad, but there is nothing you can do.

And, even if the worst is true, pick yourself up and start writing again. We all have in one way or an other lost works. Some have lost way more than you have. Life sucks. Besides, you don't actually get any good 'till after you have written more than one million words anyway.

Get back on the horse. You are a writer aren't you?

8. murasaki_sama

Actually, that is not entirely true. Publishing online (posting on a blog) creates a de facto copyright. Additionally, she owns the intellectual rights until and unless she transfers those rights; this ownership exists without or without a registered copyright. Whether she can sue over copyright infringement exactly, I do not know for sure, but she CAN file a legal action. Only talking to an intellectual property attorney will let her know for sure what legal options are open, but there are options. She has a legal claim to those stories and characters, she has the right to defend that claim. Whether she chooses to do so is for her alone. However, it is not fair to her, as an author and a person, to tell her to just forget it and move on.

9. madhoca

madhoca Contributing Member Contributor

I think you are locked into an anxiety that you have only a set number of characters and stories in you, which is why the "stealing" of your characters has affected you so badly. If you move past this and create some totally new work, the earlier stuff will completely lose its importance, trust me. Give up the pining and negative thoughts and focus on new writing.

10. Nee

Nee Contributing Member

Yes you "own" your work from the moment you create it--however, you CAN NOT SUE over copyright infringement, if you HAVE NOT REGISTERED AT THE COPYRIGHT OFFICE.

Ya know, you can probably send the guy a bill for using your work then, when he doesn't pay, you can sue in small clams court for non-payment. :D 'Course that'll mean you wont get over 5000 dollars but something is better than nothing. Still, you will have to PROVE that you were the creator.

11. rhduke

rhduke Contributing Member Reviewer

That angers me to hear. I don't have legal advice, but I do want to encourage you to keep writing. Even if it's just for your own eyes for a while. Just write for yourself. Maybe it might help to write about a character who has gone through the pain you have gone. Not only would it get you writing, it might alleviate your fears and other emotions.

12. madhoca

madhoca Contributing Member Contributor

@ nee: no, in the UK we own anything we write, and we do not register at any copyright office. You can sue if someone plagiarises or steals your work without such a registration. Anyone who pays money for this is being ripped off. It is totally unnecessary.

13. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Contributing Member

From now on, I suppose you have to write your own work, on your personal computer and store it on a separate, removable media. :(

I do that, always. But unfortunately, I once made several copies of a book and stored them here and there, as I went on vacation, fearing a break-in/flood/fire would cause me to lose my computer and all my work. When I got back, I could not, for the life of me recall where I had hidden the ORIGINAL!

Finally found it but let me tell you I was so glad I had it in other places!!!!! On my phone, for instance.

On media, you can share it with only those who you think can benefit from your words and keep the rest safe for publication. :)

Don't let it stop you from writing now! I know what that feels like. I once lost an entire weekend of work. 7000-10,000 words.... gone. It was heart breaking! I had to really put effort into writing again, after that. STUPID BRAIN! Emotions get very tangled in our writing, yes? You can get past it. Once you do? If this happens again, it will not feel the same, at all!

14. murasaki_sama

I think you do not understand the concept of copyright or intellectual property. First, I never suggested she sue for copyright infringement (which she could do); I merely suggested she pursue legal action by speaking to an intellectual property right attorney to consider her options.

However, as you seem to think ownership and rights to a work only exists after registering them with the government (which is false) I have opens one of my legal books for reference. Let us see what it says about copyright, shall we?

A quick translation of that part is that the person who creates a story owns it, and owns all rights to it (rights include the right to public, dramatic rights [to be turned into a movie/tv show], and merchandising rights). ((Italic emphasis is my own))

This next part is important.

If you didn't get that, then let me translate - SHE OWNS THE COPYRIGHT IF SHE PUBLISHES ANYWHERE, INCLUDING ON A INTERNET BLOG.

However.

This means she does not own the story idea, but just the characters and world. Or she should own the characters and world...

Her ability to pursue legal action (not all of which involves suing for copyright infringement, and I still don't know where you got that idea from, despite the fact that it is a possibility) depends on her ability to prove he had access to the work, the amount of time since the work was stolen (most civil claims have a statute of limitations in which she can file legal action), and the similarity between her work and the one he published.

You can tell her she has no rights all you want. I am not trying to promise her she has rights. I am telling she may have legal options, and that she should talk to an intellectual property attorney to go over those options. She doesn't even have to pursue them if she doesn't want to.

[Excerpts and definitions from Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, by Henry Campbell Black, M. A.
    Taken from page 336, definition of copyright]

15. Nee

Nee Contributing Member

For whoever wishes to take it from the horses mouth then here we are:

From the Untied States Copyright office:
    http://www.copyright.gov/

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#mywork

What does copyright protect?
    Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture. Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section "What Works Are Protected."

When is my work protected?
    Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
    No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

Why should I register my work if copyright protection is automatic?
    Registration is recommended for a number of reasons. Many choose to register their works because they wish to have the facts of their copyright on the public record and have a certificate of registration. Registered works may be eligible for statutory damages and attorney's fees in successful litigation. Finally, if registration occurs within 5 years of publication, it is considered prima facie evidence in a court of law. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration” and Circular 38b, Highlights of Copyright Amendments Contained in the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA), on non-U.S. works.

And here is the actual copyright law of the United States of America:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html

16. Rebel Yellow

Rebel Yellow Active Member

I feel sorry for you and it's completely normal to be demotivated after being a victim of intellectual theft. It's always sad when someone you love and trust stabs you in the back, but unfortunately it's human nature and people with good values are hard to come by.

As for you writer's block, I would suggest putting the pen down for a while. Don't force yourself to write as it will exacerbate your lack of enthusiasm. Instead try to pickup some books, watch a few movies and start to watch a new TV show. Eventually your creativity and motivation will come back and your head will be overflowing with new ideas. =)

17. writingismypassion

writingismypassion Member

Stealing people's works of art for their own is never cool. Niether is stealing anything in general but you know what I mean I hope.

I always be sure and keep my ideas to myself no matter how excited I get with them and write them down on paper instead of sharring them with others. Just like a magician or a cook that never gives out their secrets because they can trust no one with them. Just like writing. Writing is for ones own personal experiance and enjoyment. A form of escape from the real world for some even.

Thankfully I have never experianced anyone stealing my works of literature or art, but then, as I mentioned above, I keep my personal writing to myself because my writing is my magic; just with a pen and paper instead of a wand and a top hat.

18. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

It sucks but the bottom line is that it's gone. You need to move on. Let's be honest, you're not going to talk to a lawyer and you're not going to sue anyone. That's just reality.

I have written so many short stories and serials on FictionPress, Myspace, Facebook and forums just like this one. I understand that I am just throwing them out into the 'void' so that anyone can enjoy them. I know that someone could copy and paste one of my stories and try to do something nefarious with it. I know that going in.

If I ever decide that I am good enough to start trying to get my work published, no one will ever see it until they buy the book. You won't see it on a blog or a forum.

If you are truly a writer, you have an unlimited imagination and the burning desire to make every idea come to life. Keep writing and keep your work closer to your chest if you wish.

Good luck.

~ J. J.

19. Featheriel

Featheriel New Member

I'm glad that many people had the kindness of leave here their opinions.

Bdriscoll3,
    I am not being negative in this matter, I was just stolen. Someone stole what I considered one of the most important
    things. As an artist, I am a dark person indeed, and that darkness makes me an artist. I use the suffering of live, as well as deep feelings
    of love and dedication, to create everything I write. I believe it's the same for many other artists.
    In this matter of my work being stolen, I had knowledge later that the thief also had stolen other stories from other people, so he had indeed a very poor creativity.
    He was that kind of person that didn't accept he didn't had the talent to write, so he stole from others to make himself feeling better and great. what he did left great negativity yes, and I need to overcome that, because I want to write again.
    So you all can understand, I am a very shy, introverted person. For me, showing some of my stories with the world was a great step for me, I needed a lot of courage to do it. And after that, being stolen right away was like a slap in the face, after all my effort.
    I understand now, that that is the way life is. I accept that I was naive and let me be dragged by my feelings.
    What you say is true, every time a writer shows his works to the world, they are meant to be taken away somehow. It's like it's not the writer's property, private story of his soul any more. That's hard to accept for me, but then, with a copyright I might feel better.

Nee,
    I always wrote on my great-grand father's typewriter, as I am young but old-fashioned when comes to writting, it's how I feel comfortable.
    I thank you for your words.

Madhoca,
    your comment is quite interesting.
    No, in fact I have a great number of characters and stories, and new ones appearing in my head almost everyday.
    I believe as a true writer, is quite impossible to just forget about the most important characters you created.
    You feel the pain, the love, everything that your character feels, right? at least is like that for me. I take this
    quite serious in the way that I feel my characters, and also love them and respect them. That's the only way you can write
    a good story, or else your characters will just be void and uninteresting. To give you a random example, what if Anne Rice just
    forgot about Vampire Lestat? he is quite an important man in several of her stories. You just can't "kill" or "leave behind" one or several
    of your main characters, things are not like that. Feelings are involved, as well as the story you need to tell.
    My anxiety comes mostly because I cannot write, nothing more.

Rhduke,
    I thought about that. I believe it would be a good way to start, who knows? I need indeed to try it and see how I feel after that. Thank you!

JetBlackGT,
    I know how it feels. Emotions are so involved in the writting, always. I am trying my best at the moment.

Rebel Yellow,
    I forced myself several times, it didn't work indeed. I only got more frustrated.
    it's rare for me to try reading when I am about to write something, because I don't want to be influenced by other artist's work.
    But some TV shows could help I guess ;)

writingismypassion,
    I do that now. Now I don't show a thing to other people. My mistake was to do that at first, I should've kept them private.

JJ_Maxx,
    you are completly right. I do not intend to sue him or present any charge. Because I know it was my mistake also.
    I shouldn't have posted my stories on a public website.
    Writting a story is also a work for many years, I should keep them away from the eyes of the world until I get them published.
    When I start writting again, I want to do my best, as I feel that desire of making that stories come to life somehow. That is a deep
    feeling you can never control.

Murasaki,
    Thank for letting me know of my rights. I live in Europe(not UK), so I don't know if the same laws are applicable here.
    But I will do nothing at this time now. 4 years passed. I will only try to move on and be able to write, and show my stories(plubished!) to the world.

20. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Contributing Member

I plan on releasing a short story series through my blog, so I definitely think this is something I should be aware of. I'm glad you brought this to my attention

21. lettuce head

lettuce head Active Member

Forgive my assumptions if they are off the mark here. I have two points I want to make.

First, unless you plan to use the work that was stolen from you stay away from a suit. It will take you further from your goal of getting back to writing. It is an enormous use of energy that could further steal away the connection you once had between words and dreams.

Secondly, I'd recommend trying a product from a company called HemiSync. Basically, they use oscillating sound pulses to influence or regulate your Beta, Alpha, Theta, Delta brain waves. It can help people to lucid dream. I used to do sessions where I was conscious of my dreams and could sit right up and write it down, then go right back into dreaming again. Sound cool? It is. I could even listen to myself snore, make myself stop, then relax and start snoring again. They have different products that help a person reach different mental states. Duke University has done many studies on the affects of using sound on mental states at the HemiSync facility in Faber VA.

I used to write songs and most of the time it came from the inner music I'd hear in dreams or meditations. One day I lost it. HemiSync helped me to find that connection again.I feel that what was taken from you was not the words you wrote but rather the connection to your source of words. And that is a most precious thing. You owe it to yourself to get that back. Good luck.

22. Featheriel

Featheriel New Member

Please, be extremely careful. Anyone out there can stole your work, so protect it first.
    I'm glad I can help.

Thank you. It sounds quite interesting. However, I was able to do the same thing you describe without the sound pulses, but that was many year ago. It would be a good experience to try it maybe, though I don't know if that even exists here in Europe, or even in my country. I'm always aware, as those kind of experiences can also bring you bad things, as your soul is very hearken at that time and can be caught by several things, I guess. But even so I will make a research about it, it's something curious.

23. lettuce head

lettuce head Active Member

See, I did make assumption. I'm glad you found your connection again. That is too valuable to lose.

24. erebh

erebh Contributing Member Contributor

does anyone else it's too late for me to go after my old friend Stevie King? I remember in the playground one day showing him my story about a vampire that takes over a small town call Halem's Lot and it involved a priest and journalist and a whole bunch of people that got "turned"...

Oh well, maybe I'll write a book about being robbed, the revenge I take, how I left him penniless... and I'll be ultra secretive in future...

25. Featheriel

Featheriel New Member

No, you got me wrong :p
    I didn't find my connection yet again. I lost it indeed, so I'm looking for it again now, and how's the best way to get it.

That make laugh. I like the idea!
    maybe I will do that in the future. But now I will be trying to focus only on a way of write again.