Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CurtisDawson

CurtisDawson New Member

Capital punishment

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by CurtisDawson, Oct 4, 2015.

Do you think that capital punishment deters people from committing murder?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Specific deterrence, yes. General deterrence, I doubt it, but it's irrelevant. And overall the system is flawed and the risk of mistake too great for me to support it.

3. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

Agreed. Take the Death by Fire case that Dateline did a story about. The man was tried, convicted, and sentenced to death for killing his daughters in a house fire. It was only after he was put to death that they discovered he was innocent.

4. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Old Scratch Contributor

Of all the various forms of government power that one could see as illegitimate or overbearing, execution strikes me as one of the most blatant.

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Doesn't matter, it doesn't deter enough murders to justify killing innocent people by mistake.

6. Moth

Moth Active Member

Someone who is going to commit murder is either not going to want/plan to be caught, so they won't consider the consequences of their crimes, or they fully expect to be caught and do it anyway, knowing that they'll face the consequences. Most are the former, especially when the crime is committed in a moment of passion without thought.

From statistics I've seen, it also costs more to execute a person than it does to keep in in prison for life. Not to mention that the number of people who have been executed - only to be proven innocent of the crime they were convicted for - is far too high.

Doesn't it blotch the moral integrity and claim to justice of the executors when they themselves are arguably guilty of the same crime, taking innocent life?

Apologies, I derailed from the question there. No, I don't believe capital punishment deters people from crime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.