1. Cappy and Pegody

Cappy and Pegody Member

Cappy and Pegody So Far So Good

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Cappy and Pegody, Apr 11, 2015.

Please bear with us as I give a little back ground information.

We have been writing a blog for over 10 years now. It's mostly about our life and what we do, punctuated with tales from our youth and such. We started it as a way to let family know what we were up to and over the years we have had folks tell us we aughta write a book. Up until recently, I have been employed as a Tug Boat Captain, hence the "Cappy" in our pin name. Cutbacks found me jobless with a little money in the bank, so we decided to take a sabbatical of sorts, and scratch "novel" off of our bucket list. Growing up as a child of the 60's, I quickly became a huge sci-fi fan and over the years have read hundreds of novels in that genre. My wife Pegody has long dreamed of writing a novel as well and she is a wonderful wordsmith ,where I am more of a technical report and short story guy. We always said we had a marriage made in heaven and it applies to writing as well. I tell a pretty good tale and Peg is very good at fleshing it out. We both realize our punctuation and spelling leaves a lot to be desired, but we don't let that stop us...for now, anyhow.

So I sat down and wrote a space adventure. It took me about 8 months to write and when it was all done I had 144K words of story. I then handed it over to Peg, and she is editing and rewriting. We are nearing completion and at this stage we are clueless. We are leaning toward publishing it as an E-book on Smashwords, mainly cause we don't have a clue as to how to go about publishing any other way.

I have put off posting this for weeks now 'cause we realize we must seem pretty lame with our inexperiences, and all. We are nearing completion of the book and the butterflies are soaring around my tummy, so I nervously wonder if this is the right thing to do.

My thought is this: is the quick way to get it out there and see if folks will like it? Or maybe we should try finding an agent?? How's that work anyways... they get a percentage?? or do we hafta retain them with a down payment from our dwindling
    nest egg?
    Well, for better or worse, this did seem to help; at least I got it off my chest and may be able to sleep a lil better having told someone. Any comments will be appreciated and I'll try to let yall know how it goes. In other words...'help'!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    GuardianWynn likes this.
  2. Cappy and Pegody

Cappy and Pegody Member

This stage is very hard on me. I wrote our book and gave it to Peg who is editing/ rewriting and adding detail. We are averaging a chapter a week or so and I am having a hard time being patient. I bother her to the point of angering her sometimes trying to get her to hurry and that's the wrong thing to do and I know it. We have 23 chapters done and printed all's that is left is to format to epub. That's the plan so far. We have another 10 or more chapters to go in this rewrite I just hope I can find the patience to get it done.

3. Cappy and Pegody

Cappy and Pegody Member

We finally made it past a particularly hard part and are again plodding forwards. We stressed over a short paragraph. make it too strong and you tip off the reader that something may happen to this minor character. Gloss over it and you miss a chance to endear the minor character to the reader. Lay it just right and the reader begins to get to know and possibly care for the minor character so when tragedy strikes they will be moved. Maybe we are stressing too much over details but this is a dream 40 years in the making we want it to be right.

4. Cappy and Pegody

Cappy and Pegody Member

Just put another chapter to bed and backed every thing up on a hard drive. This chapter was slow in getting done cause of the holiday company. This one was emotional for us as the end grows near this one set the stage for a characters demise. Pegody and I are both soft hearted and this chapter put tears in both our eyes just in knowing what comes later.

5. Cappy and Pegody

Cappy and Pegody Member

One more chapter down as we near the end.

6. Cappy and Pegody

Cappy and Pegody Member

I guess I didn't explain well, but here is our plan:
    I (Cappy) wrote our novel with some input from my wife and best friend Pegody.
    Pegody is rewriting, editing, embellishing, and as she goes we read a chapter at a time critiquing, and correcting at which point we safe it.
    We are almost finished with this stage and put another chapter in the box last night, setting the stage and maneuvering the characters into position for the big finale.

The final stage will be to format the book to e-pub. We really don't know how but we are armed with a manual and plan to learn as we go. As we format we will reread and fine tune. We have had a couple folks read and help with editing and suggestions. I think that's what yall call beta readers?? As we approach the end butterflies are starting to swarm in my stomach and I am beginning to stress over this formatting process. Though I haven't posted much much here I must say this forum has helped me a bunch. So I will continue reading yall stuff and draw confidence from knowing we aint in this alone.

7. Cappy and Pegody

Cappy and Pegody Member

We finally did it! E published on smashwords last night. Already 2 people have bought it and 12 people down loaded the 20% preview so we are officially paid authors:). We are impatiently waiting for it to be approved on their premium catalog then it will be available every where. Till then it can be found here:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/566680

Let us know what yall think, we are not happy with our cover it got squished and elongated in the processing and we are working to get it re sized. The excitement to have reached this point is indescribable.