1. Lainer

Lainer New Member

Requesting Research Assistance on the Korean Conflict 1951, US Fifth Air Force

Discussion in 'Research' started by Lainer, Nov 21, 2011.

I am writing a short story and would like information and/or research assistance on the following topics:

Korean Conflict 1951.

ROK and USA alliance.

United States Air Force- Squadron life, time appropriate military slang, ranks and structure, life as a pilot etc...

Avionics/Aviation: Pilot's life, plane mechanics, Especially in reference to B-29 bombers. Plane descriptions, flight crew structure, and types of flight missions.

Anything about K-2 Airbase in Taegu: The structure of the base, descriptions of quonset huts etc.

The above topics are the most pressing for me at the moment. I am researching on my own, but if you have any knowledge of the above topics i would greatly appreciate your help! Thank you so much!

-Lainer

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you'd do much better googling for websites/forums/chatrooms dedicated to those who took part in the 'korean conflict'... fyi, a .22 second google for 'korean war vets websites' just turned up almost 78 million hits!...

google for your specific items and you'll not need to wait to see if anyone here knows anything about any of it [highly improbable, imo]...

3. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Depending on where you live, you may be able to gain access to a B-29. there are several survivor, including one that still flies, "FiFi". The confederate Air Force operates her. There aren't an awful lot of guys still alive from that time, but there are some. I knew someone who flew a B-50 there (a 29 with bigger engines and some mods) but he's gone now.
    There are plenty of memoirs on the subject as well as some fairly rubbish movies, such as "The bridges of Toko Ri" (I think) and a few others. They might give you some flavour, especially as regards language of the day, but their intention was propaganda and they are all very, very Hollywood.

You might just try going to your local VFW and inquiring. If you are invited in, the price of a few beers will probably get you a gold mine of info.

4. Lainer

Lainer New Member

Thank you for the suggestions. It is always good to be encouraged to be more creative with google searching (believe me, it has already been extensive). My Grandfather, (on whom the story is based) is still alive and has been a wealth of information. The thing is, I would like the story to be a surprise. He has told many war stories of both WWII and Korea over the years, and I am writing a historical fiction piece based on his stories, and highlighting him as the main character. He is wonderful, but as sometimes happen when we get older, his memory is sometimes selective. The stories he's told, he tells well, but the culture and background... context if you will, are harder to glean from him. Unfortunately, as Prophetsnake mentioned, there are not many gentlemen from that era still around, and the Veteran's websites I have so far encountered have not provided the kind of information I am looking for.
    I am still interested in aviation topics and the structure of the Air Force.
    Thanks again for the suggestions.