1. Sappho

Sappho New Member

Re-reading childhood books only to now see Adult content.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Sappho, Aug 28, 2009.

I'm not sure if there is another thread on this topic. I'm at an internet cafe so I'm quickly typing this.

This week I went to my local bookstore and found a childhood book series that I loved when I was nine/ten. I only read the first, two book out of the five.

I started reading from the beginning remembering the feel for the characters and it was after a few pages that I saw the jokes and content that mature minded people would get.

Outline: It starts in grade/year four and it is stories told by a bunch of children some events is written by a different perspective of one student over another etc.

Anyways when their in the eighth grade some of the students have caught their art and geography teachers having an affair. The joke in this is one of main students is telling us readers how one was murmuring "Cleopatra, Cleopatra you will be alright" and the student goes "Anthony and Cleopatra, Nah those names don't go together if they get married."

I found myself giggling.

Then there was one main character who had a very creepy uncle who was leering at her. I wanted to give the poor thing a hug.

:sighs:

Anyways have any of you guys seen a similar thing?

2. Sphi

Sphi New Member

On youtube, all you have to do is type "disney hidden messages" and you get a whole slew of inappropriate things hidden in disney movies.

3. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

That's not quite the same thing, I think, Sphi.

It is interesting to see all the layers of sexuality in a story like Labyrinth that no kid ever notices.

4. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

I have this more with kids movies that you see different now than when you were young... it's funny.

5. arron89

arron89 Banned

Critical theory makes kids books more fun. Now, I can only read Where the Wilds things Are in a colonialist context...makes Max a lot less sympathetic for sure :D

6. Twisted Inversely

Twisted Inversely New Member

My imagination. But I drop by the real world for m
    Amazed no one has mentioned anything by Roald Dahl yet.

Picked up an old copy of Rhyme Stew, a childhood favorite, the other day and re-read it.

Pervert vicar's
    Gym teachers having sexual relations with students
    And much more. All with fun illustrations from Quentin Blake.

7. Sappho

Sappho New Member

lol. Yeah, it is amazing. I recently rewatched Hunchback of Notre Dame/not the same as reading and I nearly was like woah there is a lap dance in a disney film. Wow.

8. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Oh yeah, just remembered. I haven't read the book, but in the movie of Alice in Wonderland, there are the obvious drug references.