1. curiousPaul

curiousPaul Banned

Casual writing with a journal.

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by curiousPaul, Mar 1, 2015.

I think I have found out what my major problem is with my writing, I wrote in my personal journal for twenty to thirty years and never edited, everything was a draft. With post writing, one edits the draft and there's no straight rules and regulations, but has writers styles as rules and regulations. I casually wrote without any structured rules like syntax spelling, and without Grammarly etc. Wouldn't one think with it would be hard to write with rules?

Can this post be critiqued to show me how to change from casual journaling to posting? curiousPaul

2. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I don't think you need to change much for this to be just fine as a post - it's a lot more coherent than a lot of what I read on this site!

There are some grammar errors that I can point out, but you need to decide what your writing goal is before you decide how much you want to worry about formal grammar - there are a lot of areas where it really isn't that important. But, in case you care...

3. curiousPaul

curiousPaul Banned

Being Understood and being casual writer. curiousPaul

4. lustrousonion

lustrousonion Contributing Member

Hi, Paul. I've seen several of your posts, and I just want to say that nothing should ever stop you from being a casual writer. If you understand what you write and your family/friends understand what you write, then you are successful. It's only when you want to widen your audience and have strangers understand and enjoy your writing that you need to worry about grammar/vocabulary/rules/etc.

It's hard to write with rules when you're just starting--the same as it is with anything, really. Here's a link to some exercises you can practice. https://owl.english.purdue.edu/exercises/

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

There's nothing wrong with writing in a way that only you understand when you're writing in your journal. Samuel Pepys wrote in code, specifically to make it difficult for anybody else to read his!

As has been mentioned above, it's only when you want other people to understand what you're saying that you need to make sure that you're using a language that they understand.