1. Shaezy

Shaezy New Member

Historical/Present Day Novels

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Shaezy, Aug 28, 2011.

Evening all, :)

I'm currently brainstorming a story which is based on a present day MC who either gets sent to the past, or discovers details of a past mystery based around another MC. I am basing it in the Blue Mountains of NSW, Australia which is a beautiful area, rich in Australian history (all 200 years of it! We're only babies here!) and has some wonderful events, locations and historical characters.

I'm interested in reading some similar novels to get an understanding of the genre, and would love some recommendations please.

I've read a few of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, I know Barbara Esrkine does this with most of hers, and I've also read Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park (Aussie teen novel from the 80s).

Can you recommend any other similar style novels please? They don't need to be female MC, or romance as the above tend to be. I'm not sure if I'm going the supernatural route, or just plain flashbacks/concurrent storylines, but both options would be great to read.

Thanks! (and hope all in the US are safe from Irene right now!)

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Try The Winter Sea, by Susanna Kearsley. Doesn't do exactly what you're talking about, but the action moves between present day and historical.

3. Heather

Heather New Member

The topic and genre is very different to what it sounds like you are going for, by try reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. It switches between a young girl's perspective in modern days, her father's college perspective, and (if I remember rightly), her grandfather's or someone else's history too.

4. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

You could read Labyrinth (in fact, you should just read it anyway. I loved it. :p) by Kate Mosse. It switches from the Middle Ages to 2005 I think.

5. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I studied Playing Beatie Bow at school. (Lived in NZ as a kid).

If you haven't read her, I recommend your fellow Aussie, Kate Morton. I think The Forgotten Garden is her best work, by far.

6. Heather

Heather New Member

I would actually recommend this too, it is a fantastic book.

7. Shaezy

Shaezy New Member

Thank you for the suggestions everyone! I've got some library visits to make now.