Cats are Snobs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by J.P.Clyde, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

Yeah cats are definitely less maintenance than dogs. I love animals, and I love dogs, too - I have three cats, a dog and a parrot - but all three cats combined are less work than the dog or the parrot LOL.

2. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Declaw them, too. Those front claws can do some damage. :eek:

3. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I certainly don't wish to start a debate or anything, but there are much more humane ways to teach your kitty not to scratch things up than mutilating the poor thing. If you knew what declawing really entailed, most people wouldn't put their beloved pets through that - under any circumstances.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

^ Agreed. I did not get my cat declawed. She has a scratching post and I just clap my hands at her or something when she claws something inappropriate. Although I just didn't want her to be defenseless if she were attacked outside .... I'm not really sure what the process of declawing entails...

5. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

You're taking half of their toe when you do that. It isn't just claws you're getting rid of. It isn't just nails.
    Declawing is wrong.

I didn't want to start a debate either. But it makes me furiously angry to hear someone declawed their cat.

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

We never declawed our cats. We gave them scratching posts and trained them that those posts were ok to claw, but nothing else in the house was.

We still wound up with some clawed furniture. but not too badly clawed. If you want pets, you have to make the occasional sacrifice.

7. wolfi

wolfi New Member

Maybe its just me but declawing and fixing are the same in my book
    Though if you do it I'm not going to call you evil its your own ophion and i can acept that

Not trying to start a debate I just cant see the difference both of them take something away form them

I understand if you cant take care of kittens but i donut think the cat should have to be fixed because you cant affored more of them to me thats just wrong cat's do just find on their own in the wild let the mother take care of them teach them how to hunt and then let them go
    Will they die\ get hurt? maybe but to me its better to be born
    Not to mediation most cats change drastically and to me is a very sad sad sighit more so when the cat was your best freind and loved to play now is fat and hides all day

8. Domino

Domino Active Member

Cats that are entire suffer. Their hormones rage rampant. The females suffer when in heat and are desperate to be impregnated. The males are desperate to spread their seed, want to be out making babies. Do you have any idea how many kittens can come from one cat in a year? Do you have any idea how many cats are killed every day due to lack of homes available?

Cats need and miss their claws. They do not need or miss their sex organs. Spaying/ neutering is a simple procedure with a quick recovery time. Once they're healed, the cats are happier for it. Declawing is amputating their toes for no good reason, and some of them never fully recover. How can you compare the two, knowing this?

9. wolfi

wolfi New Member

I donut agree wanting something is suffering plus as we all know Sex is GOOD
    it IMO would make up more then enough for it also it's natural to have those body parts your taken them out of natural things sopmething that is never good
    Also Cats are very independent yes cats die a lot, have any idea how many humans die a year?
    high also, Death is part of life
    I dont belive that stop a cat form living should count as "less cats die" sure less die but a lot less live also same afect if not worse since they never even get the chance. Cat's can live on their own its a sad time when we think they can't
    Because what you said is UNTRUE
    While Yes they have pain what about the kittens that are never born?
    And also cats never fully recover form the fixing they become
    A. lazy (lack of hormones that make them active)
    B. they get fatter increasing their risk of being obese which is very bad for them
    C. the one fun and cuddly cat becomes lazy not wanting to play and not ver friendly
    D. When you fix them they lose some hormones that are NATRUAL for them
    Its the same thing with humans
    fixing humans is bad as is fixing anmails
    how would you feel if someone fixed you?
    The only postive efect (and i use that term lightly )
    is no more kittins, so in other words whats postive is we stoped many many cats form ever being born
    So your point for fixing is to stop death but dose it count if you stop life in the procces?

I understand what your saying but I dont agree with it

10. J.P.Clyde

Yes because taking someone toe or finger off is the same as taking his man/lady parts. :rolleyes:

Edit: Cause we don't need our fingers or toes to help us walk or catch our fall or anything. Its not important to have fingers and toes. I agree.

11. Trish

Spaying is the removal of organs that they will not miss and that improve their health, their life, their happiness.

Declawing is senseless mutilation. You are AMPUTATING parts of their feet for no reason at all. Because you're too lazy to train them what they CAN scratch on. No. Sorry.

Cats who are spayed and neutered (and dogs) do not get fat because they're spayed/neutered. That's simply not true. They get fat because their owners overfeed them, don't play with them.

Domestic cats after becoming feral cause tremendous problems in populated areas. They get into garbage, fight with peoples house cats, spray urine on houses, porches, tractors, everywhere (no it's not as simple as getting a hose, that stuff sticks and it's vile). Things like Feline HIV and Feline Leukemia begin to run more rampant than they already are. Then YOUR cats are in danger. Your NEIGHBORS cats are in danger.

The view that it's better to have been born is narrow minded and tragic, IMO. Go to a shelter, then say that.

12. Domino

Domino Active Member

Sex for a cat is not good. It is very painful for the female. The male has a barbed penis and locks on. Not nice.

We do not need more kittens born. It's better that they aren't born than they are born and euthanised just because they're not a colour that appeals to people.

Go and spend time with all the unwanted animals in rescue that irresponsible people have bred/dumped and then tell me it's fair to make more kittens when the ones that are already born go unwanted.

It does not make them lazy. I don't know where you even get that idea from? I've worked with hundreds of cats that have been spayed and neutered. And dogs too. It's never changed their personalities or made them fat.

1 person likes this.
  13. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Pretty much what I was going to say. Saying that you don't see a difference between declawing and spaying/neutering is like saying you don't see a difference between amputating someone's fingers and giving them a vasectomy/hysterectomy. They're pretty different things.

Also, in some places it's illegal to own a dog or cat without getting them spayed/neutered.

Edit: Also, huge LOL at "sex is GOOD."

14. wolfi

wolfi New Member

Trish show me a link that says Fixing a cat is healthyer for them

i wanted to be a vet for the longist time and evreything I read said it was bad
    and also what you said about fixing dose not = fat it dose becuse

When A cat is fixed he gets lazy he dose not brun as much as much fat as he would making him fater
    Its hard to play with a cat when they dont want to

15. J.P.Clyde

It makes clear sense to me. I think I should take my own fingers and toes off. Its obvious not as important.

I don't see why people don't just trim the nails. If they are to sharp. Trim them a bit. Don't take the whole toe or finger off.

That be like me going, Oh my nails grow to long. Let's take my whole finger off.

edit-

Did you check the credentials of the veterinary school you went to?

Cause this cat is so fat :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

16. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Careful, I think I hear Cogito coming...

I agree, though. Declawing=VILE!!!

17. hiddennovelist

........seriously? Google "benefits versus risks of spaying a cat" and you'll find plenty of links that show you that.

18. Trish

Are you KIDDING? I'm not google. Try it out...

They can get cancer, they can get prolapsed uteruses, they fight (um dangerous), they are at higher risk for SO MANY things.

Spaying and neutering a cat DOES NOT MAKE THEM FAT. You wanted to be a Vet, I worked with Vets from the age of 13 to 27. It's not hard to inspire a cat to play unless you're too lazy to get a piece of string, a laser pointer, a flashlight, a feather. Please tell me you're joking.

19. wolfi

wolfi New Member

Okay I have a qurstion then if its "over feeding" how come it hapeens almsot ALWASY after they are fixed?

Another thing is I have had many cats we have fixed them
    they are out side cats and guess what?
    they get fat but here is the catch

A. they get the same food as the others
    B. its about 20 cats
    C. they where not fat or lazy before it

So either my cats magicly get fat right after words for no reasson or soemthing eles is going on

20. J.P.Clyde

Correlation doesn't equal causation.

btw folks, at the end of page 9 you can see pictures of my fat lazy cat Misses.

21. Trish

Well they're outside cats, you have 20, you're not playing with them all, it's doubtful you're giving them adequate attention. I don't think anyone needs be a rocket scientist.

22. hiddennovelist

Part of me really hopes that you're just playing devil's advocate because otherwise...whoa...

Dude...fluffiest tail ever. Cute.

23. Trish

Misses is beautiful :D (and shockingly errrrr... unfat)

24. wolfi

wolfi New Member

BUT only the one who are fixed are fat
    And yes I do get them lots of attention

once again you guys are stereotype someone as a "not taking good care of the pet"

They dont want to play with the strings when they are fixed do i need to show you vidio proof of this?

25. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

My cat is spayed. She likes to play. I give her plenty of attention and she is not fat. (Nor is she declawed.)