Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

Causation or Correlation of Divorce Rates of Southern Protestant Conservatives?

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Garball, Jan 18, 2014.

Is being a staunchly conservative protestant in the South driving wedded couples to divorce? According to this article: http://www.latimes.com/world/worldnow/la-sci-sn-red-states-religious-conservative-divorce-20140116,0,7835151.story#axzz2qlrjaa1X , it is.

However, after reading the article, I thought it was obvious that the researchers answered the causality and tacked on religious preference as the cause.

Having lived only in the South, I can only speak of what I know about Southern culture and cannot apply it to other areas of the US. The vast majority of us have some sort of Christian Church affiliation. There is a very high number of immature couples getting married right out of high school or soon thereafter. I do not see a causal relationship between the two statistics.

Living in Louisiana, it is not uncommon to find people in Saints jerseys who have never watched a game in their life except by accident because it was on the TV in the bar. In my opinion, checking the religious box on a census "down here" is as common and truly meaningful as a Midwesterner admitting to owning a snow shovel. It is just a way of life.

What's your take?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.