1. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

Celtic music and fantasy writing

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Sapphire, Oct 23, 2006.

For those of you who like to write fantasies with dragons, ventures, wizards, elves, and other such creatures, do you find yourself sometimes listening to celtic music as you're writing them to gain inspiration and a mood for you to write?

For me, yes, I do that often. If I listen to some celtic music, it really sets a magical setting for me to write in. I can't help myself not to write about fantasy and really put myself in that place and time and actually make a decent scene for the story I am writing at the time.

Some of the celtic musicians I listen to are Celtic Women and Josh Groban (if you consider him celtic new age).

2. KaitonLocke

KaitonLocke New Member

I haven't written too many dragons, magic,a nd midevil stories in a long time. I've been solely shojou-ai/romantic lately. That and the massive anger I've had toward the government and life in general. Lolz to you tho imoto, hope it helps. The stories I write don't have correlating music in my 4 gig library of tunes.

3. Veronica0406

Veronica0406 New Member

I was just thinking that this weekend as I was listening to Pure Celtic Chillout, and Celtic Women cd's. Great inspiration for the fantasy genre.

4. Joan

Joan New Member

I now live Back in QLD Australia after moving to 6
    When im writting a story for example an action scene in the story, I listen to something like metallica. I realy want to get some celtic music. I love the bagpipes and I find them a realy good insperation for an action part in the book.

5. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

My stepmother always listened to Celtic music in the kitchen, so now that I'm grown up, I like to listen to Celtic music while I'm cooking.

When I'm writing, though, I find music to be a distraction.

6. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

lol I find the celtic music to be an inspiration to action, romance, and tragedic scenes. I listen to that type of music all of the time.

7. Felony

Felony New Member

I find it touching as well as humorous.

8. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

I'd recommend Enya or her previous group Clannad for real Celtic trad

jazzabel likes this.
  9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I can still sing Na Laetha Geal M'óige in perfect phonetic mimicry if it's playing. Funny how the brain stores music. A decade can go by, but if the song plays you still know the words. :)

10. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Wow. This thread had been dead and buried for seven years until less than an hour ago, when Dr. Franken erebh exhumed and gassed it up again.

11. B93

B93 Active Member

The Chieftains especially their earlier recordings, The Bothy Band, Touchstone, Danu, Flook, Slide, lots of others.

Also try Tuvan music by Alash, or Huun Huur Tu. It's different from Celtic, but also seems to take you away from your everyday world.

12. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

I don't even know how I found it :(

13. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

@erebh: I love Clannad, nothing like them ever since. Enya was cool although a bit too 'pop' for me after a while.

14. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

I listen quite a few of the artists/groups already mentioned. In addition, I listen to a lot of renaissance (John Dowland, Luis de Narvaez, Luis Milan etc) and faux-renaissance music (Medieval Baebes, Blackmore's Night etc... although mainly BN's older stuff since their newer material is a bit too touchy-feely for my taste).
    Just thought I'd mention these since they often have a similar atmosphere as Celtic music and there's just something about listening to centuries old music played on a lute or vihuela when you're writing a medieval/fantasy story...