1. JohnathanRS

JohnathanRS New Member

The Review Room Short Stories

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by JohnathanRS, Jan 13, 2011.

Can all the categories just be merged to make things simplier? A post by a mod with the simple instructions of, "Label the genre in your header" would work alot easier.

Reason why I ask, sometimes stories fall under multiple categories. This way, it is a lot easier not only to find stories, but post them.

2. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

People often don't listen to rules, thus there would be alot of work not labelled correctly.

The way it is as it stands, is very, very easy to navigate, and there is no way the mods will change things as they are currently run.

A story may very well fall into multiple areas (such as - Speculative), but you just have to work out for yourself what it best fits under.

3. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

Not a bad idea. But as stated above, maybe people won't follow directions and they won't label their stories. I would like this to happen, though.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

If things fall under multiple categories, why not just put it in the dominant one? Or if there isn't a dominant genre, then pick one, and in the thread title put a note clarifying the situation?

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Maybe I am a stuck in the mud but I like the categories - at present I have a rough idea amongst the regulars who will review work placed in what room.

It is kind of useful to have consistency with some of your reviewers, I now know their level of honesty etc, they know what level of critque I am after, my way of working etc. It isn't hard to work your way through.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the categories work well as is and removing them would be a royal pain for members like myself, who only check out the categories i'm willing to look at...

i only look into the 'general' and 'children's' and 'humor' sections, so if they weren't separated and so labeled, i'd be forced to waste a lot of time trying to find only the stories i can deal with, that would be mixed in among the many others...

this is clearly a case of 'it ain't broke, so don't try to fix it!'...

7. jacktheknife

jacktheknife New Member

Fellow writers,

Categories, a great subject to start with and thank you.
    Categories in general are necessary for logical 'thinking' and order.
    Logical 'thinking' or finding anything would be impossible without them.
    But at the same time many forms of 'writing'
    do not fit in any category at all and are impossible to categorize.

As far as the writersforums.org forum goes,
    consider the categories to be general.
    And Banzai's suggestion to use the dominant category is a good one.
    Speedy's idea to just work it out for yourself is sound reasoning as don't worry we'll find it anyway.
    And my suggestion would be to really throw people by picking a category far removed from the actual category it should be listed under.
    Or as we Texans say when picking puppies:
    just close your eyes and grab one.
    Or you might let the category pick you, ever think of that one.

Thank you

Jack the Knife

1 person likes this.
  8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sorry, but i have to strongly disagree with the advice to 'throw people' and mis-categorize your piece on purpose... that would be totally disruptive of the entire system and annoy more members that it would amuse or intrigue...

9. jacktheknife

jacktheknife New Member

mammammia,

Of course,
    I was kidding, but...
    I have a category problem too which is, or was, also insoluble.
    A manuscript which is, or was, impossible to place in any conceivable category.
    I was going to ask for advise which several other posters did help with. Then decided it was clearly hopeless and that humor should take over the problem of categorizing the uncategorizable.

Actually since the other night I have solved the problem of my own work and it is actually an autobiography.
    That solves the problem of my work.
    An autobiography is a classification which includes anything relating to me, my favorite subject.
    But no one would care about me without the storm of publicity which is coming.
    So one needs publicity to sell an autobiography.

The other writer, JohnathanRS, who was undecided about categories
    made me think about the problem which is why I was here in the first place and is what made me click on his question,
    so thank you Johnathon RS as you have indirectly helped me answer
    my own question.

Thank you

Jack the Knife

10. Cornys

Cornys New Member

I've always thought that having catagories like this on any forum gives one type of story an advantage over the others as far as getting reviews, and thus encourages the users to write in 1 or 2 categories, and discourages them from writing in others. In general I beleive that I would probably be sending out more reviews if the sections were removed, but of course, that's just me.