1. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Announcement Change in Voting Next Contest

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Flash Fiction Contest Archives' started by Lewdog, May 10, 2014.

Starting next contest, I will be making voting public. I included as a rule after the first contest that people should not vote for their own piece. Because of the anonymous voting I am not able to see who votes for what currently. The only way I can police this rule is to have public voting. If you need an explanation for why I have this rule you can contact me in private.

2. Selbbin

Selbbin I hate you Contributor

Sounds good to me. :)

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I won't vote if it's not anonymous but that's up to you.

4. Lewdog

Why? Are you afraid to hurt people's feelings by who you vote for? Ok...we know you aren't afraid of doing that, so what's your logic? I'm all ears. :)

5. GingerCoffee

I don't agree that people should not be allowed to vote for their own stories. You are trying to solve a problem that I don't agree is a problem. I'm not sure why the idea bothers you so much. However, your choice to make that rule isn't what bothers me.

It's your distrust of people. I would rather promote a sense of trust around here than one of suspicion. If I wrote an entry for this contest and you told me not to vote for my own, I wouldn't. Why do you not trust other writers to do the same?

As for the anonymity of the voters, that's a standard voting practice for just about everything we vote for. It could lead to hard feelings to reveal who voted for which stories, or it might discourage voters who don't wish to reveal who they voted for. On the other hand, a voluntary compliment after the contest, such as saying, "I voted for your story," is always possible to do.

6. Lewdog

What bothers me is, people think people around here should have a thick skin when it comes to getting their pieces critiqued, yet they don't want people to know who they voted for in a contest? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me, and seems quit hypocritical.

And before you question my reasons in public, like I asked people not to do in the original post, I'll go ahead and tell the reason why. First off if people are allowed to vote for their own, that means they have to morally choose whether to vote for their own because they truly think it is the best, or vote for it because they just want the self-gratification of winning the contest. That is something I can't police. So then I have to assume the worst, which means everyone votes for their own. If everyone votes for their own, they cancel out each other's votes in the first place, so what's the point? This way I, and all the other contestants KNOW nobody voted for their own.

Now, if you are done with your pettiness because I spanked your butt in an argument you had no business arguing in the first place in another thread, I hate to ruin other people's experience at the expense of your own ego. If you have any farther problems to discuss with me, feel free to do so in private, where you already gave me a veiled threat earlier today. :)

7. Selbbin

I'm not voting now anyway because I don't want to vote for my story but I don't want to vote against it either.

8. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I had mixed feelings about voting for your own work, and I even mentioned in the Poetry Contest rules that you shouldn't vote for your own poem. But I'm thinking of taking that rule out. While I admit that I don't like the idea of people voting for their own work, sometimes your work actually is better than other people's, so it would be unfair to force you to vote against yourself in such cases.

9. Selbbin

The main reasons I like the comps, especially the flash fiction, is that they are interesting writing prompts. If you click on my poetry winning links you can see that they won based on humor, not merit, because, frankly, they're shit. It's hard to take the wins and losses too seriously, but it's a nice feeling and the comps are fun, so reducing them to farce would be a shame. So the public voting thing is fine by me as mentioned above, in order to avoid this element.

10. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributing Member Contributor

I don't mind people knowing what pieces I voted for; what worries me is that I might discover that people I'm earnestly taking critiques from are voting for pieces I think are dreck.

But likely I'm borrowing trouble and they'd never do that.

Besides, nobody on this forum writes dreck, right? Including me. :angle:

11. Selbbin

I write dreck. I also dabble in trash, crap, and a little bit of shit.

12. GingerCoffee

After yet one more author said in a PM they don't vote in the contests they enter because they are uncomfortable voting for or against themselves, this is what I replied and it is of course only one person's opinion.

I don't have an issue with authors voting for their own stories. We're all adults. If someone else's story is better, most people will vote for the better story. If you run for an elected office, you don't vote for your opponent because it feels awkward voting for yourself. On the other hand, I didn't have any trouble voting for peachalulu's story in the sci-fi contest because I thought it was better than mine.

We should get over ourselves and our insecurities. So be it, vote for the best story. Winning isn't like winning lottery money, it's about recognition. If you recognize your story was the best, vote for it. If you vote for it because you want a medal (or a bolt or a plume), but you either didn't read the other stories or you didn't vote for the one that was the real best story, what kind of recognition is that?

Voting honestly is the best path to take even if that means voting for your own.

13. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I don't vote in contests I participate in - that way I don't feel goofy if I give the final vote and lose. I also don't vote for my own story because the win wouldn't feel right. I got enough ego to think my story is good :rolleyes: - but what I want to know, when I enter a contest, is what others think.

And I'm not sure I'd like people to know who I vote for. I mean I'm not totally against it - it's your decision, I just don't want to have to defend my vote. Sometimes I don't vote for the best written. Especially if I feel it's safe and dry or brilliant and will win anyway. Sometimes I vote for the story I liked or had the most original or best potential.

FrankieWuh likes this.
  14. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

If more people voted, this really wouldn't be an issue. However, with only one or two more votes than entries, I see the logic behind this decision. Maybe something can be done to increase participation. I also think it would be wise to make the voting results visible only after you have cast your ballot.

FrankieWuh likes this.
  15. Lewdog

Hey I'm man enough to say, if enough people don't like how I'm running the contest I'd be more than willing to step down for the betterment of the forum and the contest. If people won't enter or vote because I'm running the contest let me know and I'll work to find someone that can take my place. I volunteered to run this contest to get things started because I didn't like the idea of such a huge variation in word count in the regular short story contest. I thought that with a lower word count more people might get involved, unfortunately things aren't taking off quite like I'd hoped.

16. Garball

I'd put my left foot in, then I'd put my left foot out. Then I'd put it back in and shake it all about, for the betterment of the forums, of course!:crazy:

17. Lewdog

Hey honestly I just want to see the contest succeed and not end up like the poetry contest did before being started back up recently.

18. GingerCoffee

There isn't a single word in this thread questioning how you're running the contest.

19. Garball

Are you insinuating that my Hokey-Pokeying is no good?o_O

I think the parameters for the contest are good. I like the shorter word count. It is the lack of participation that needs help. Maybe if there was more incentive.

What if winners of the contests had their works published on a separate blog or something that was geared more to showing off individual works?

20. Lewdog

How does the above quote not question how I run the contest?

21. Lewdog

I'd actually brought up this idea to @Wreybies to create a novella of winning entries from past contests that can be sold either as an e-book or print on command that can towards helping pay for the site or other fundraisers.

If it is also print on command, people who are in the book can get their local libraries or local book shops to order copies. I think it would help to give people a literary push towards their goals.

22. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

You know, this is not a bad idea at all.

23. peachalulu

I think you're doing a great job, Lewdog. I don't envy anyone having to organize any of this. I had a hard enough time just thinking up a flash theme on the spot.

Oh! I like the idea of an ebook.

24. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

No, not ebook. Physical book. Ebooks are bad. Very bad. ;)

I support the novella-creating thingy, by the way.

peachalulu likes this.
  25. peachalulu

I haven't got a Kindle yet, but this could be my incentive to finally buy one.