1. Lazzamore

Lazzamore Member

Writing a good love/hate relationship?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Lazzamore, Oct 11, 2015.

By 'love/hate' I mean the guy loves the girl, the girl hates the guy. Not that the guy is a creep, the guy in my story is a fugitive from a corrupt government and she is a bounty hunter with a history with him. My medium is Manga, specifically it's a fan-fiction I'm doing just for fun on a game I play; 'Starbound'.

My question is; how do I write this dynamic? Is there anything I should avoid that will make it corny? Is there anything I can read to give me a better understanding of the dynamic? Because honestly I am woefully under-qualified to write these kind of emotions.

2. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

I guess it depends on whether or not the guy wins her over, and what tone you're looking for. A situation like this could be covered in a lighter way, or in a very heavy and serious manner.

Tenderiser likes this.
  3. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

At the end of the day your characterization of the dynamic is the one that counts, even if it's not something you've experienced yourself, or at least not in the circumstances stated. You could watch movies like Mr. and Mrs. Smith, The Thomas Crown Affair or Out of Sight, but I only mention them so you can check out the outlines. Your visualization, if you have no exposure to what "has worked" is more likely to be unique and therefore successful than acquainting yourself with the existing trope. Maybe focus your question on how to portray the dynamic and its handling as you envision it.

Masked Mole likes this.
  4. rainy_summerday

rainy_summerday Active Member

There is no one solution that is fail-safe and a guaranteed success. Maybe just read some stories to get an idea of what you would like to do.

Since your "source" medium is manga, why not trawl through these shoujo stories that often incorporate this particular idea. Like Kaichou wa Maid-sama. Classics like Pride and Prejudice also have elements of this trope, but they might not be as helpful to you.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  5. Lazzamore

Lazzamore Member

Okay, thanks, guys! I'll bare those in mind. As for how I want to portray the world, that's kind of a hard one. Starbound's world is very light-hearted on the face, with some really dystopian themes deeper in. I think for my interpretation of the game, I'll focus on weird science, for kind of a twisted light-heartedness.

The guy doesn't wind up winning her over in the first story-arch, but might later on, I'm not sure yet, so I'll keep the option open a little.

6. Burnistine

Burnistine Active Member

If you have time, read Deadline by Sandra Brown. Dawson is attracted to Amelia. But Amelia is suspicious of him. I just finished this book. It had me so spellbound, I read it in 24 hours. I couldn't stop. I don't think you'll be disappointed and I think you'll see how they go from being wary of each other to falling in love.