1. colorthemap

colorthemap Contributing Member

Changing POV

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by colorthemap, Jan 13, 2012.

Basically do you think it would be distracting to switch subtly between POVs(mainly third to first) for a few sentences? Sort of like the unknown all knowing narrator type of thing. I'm asking from more of a stylistic point of view(puny), I understand it is 'rule breaking' but do you think it would be forgiven?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

If you do it well enough, it could be done without being distracting. I've seen authors move from one viewpoint character to another mid-paragraph, and done so subtly you're going back to see where it even happened. If the transition is smooth, it doesn't have to pull the reader out of the story.

What you are talking about may or may not include head-hopping, but contemplates moving from third to first person for just a few sentences. I think that would be harder to pull off, particularly if everything before and after is third person. I think you should ask yourself what you are trying to achieve by doing this, and whether it is really necessary to do this to achieve the desired end result. I'm not sure I see much of a benefit in dropping into first person for the space of a few sentences, but if you have a particular reason in mind as to why to do it, I'm interested.

I do know what color the map means, btw, but I never received my ten points!

3. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick Contributing Member

'Nuff said.

4. colorthemap

I want to portray the opinions of a slightly insane dieing man(cliche? eh.) It is almost a narrative thought chain of his, it acts like he is the narrator but it is never announced and it declares him as "the man."

As for my name, well that will have to be a secret for now, even though some people do know *fades off into the mist.*

5. Kallithrix

Kallithrix Banned

Hmm, well, without a clearer idea of what you intend to do there's really not a lot I can advise. All I will say is that you are not creating a precedent by switching person in the narrative - there is an example from the 8th century BC :D

Homer. In the Odyssey he uses 3rd person narrative the whole way through, except when he speaks directly to Eumaeus the swineherd - he is the only character he addresses in 2nd person.

the loyal swineherd went inside the hut,
    brought Odysseus in, and invited him to sit,
    after piling up some leafy twigs and, over them,
    spreading out the shaggy skin of a wild goat,
    the large and hairy hide which covered his own bed.
    Odysseus was glad to get this hospitality,
    so he addressed him, saying:

"Stranger,
    may Zeus and other gods who live forever
    give you what you truly want—you've welcomed me
    with such a open heart."

Then, swineherd Eumaeus,
    you answered him and said:

6. colorthemap

I plan to do something similar but using "We" and "our."

Thank you.