1. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

Changing scenes but not PoV

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Dagolas, May 13, 2012.

In my book the introduction starts and ends in a couple of pages. Then the PoV is still the same, but they are in a totally different area. Is it okay to just make a line? Or a new chapter?

Example:

Chapter 1:
    Blah blah blah....

Chapter 2:
    Jim awoke in his bed...

OR

Chapter 1:
    Blah blah blah...

Jim awoke in his bed.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A new paragraph is usually sufficient. In some cases you may want to explicitly mark a section break with a single centered # between paragraphs.

The single centered # is the standard for manuscript. When the novel or story is typeset, it may be rendered by extra spacing between paragraphs, a horizontal rule, or a dingbat (decorative horizontal graphic).

3. thecoopertempleclause

thecoopertempleclause Contributing Member

It depends, some people like to break their chapters if the location changes, others start a new one if they want time to pass, some base chapters around cliff-hangers and yet more work their chapters around themes which could cover many scenes. Some authors (Sam Selvon, for instance) do not use chapters at all in some books.

I'd avoid the use of scene breaks (using horizontal lines or glyphs, or if you wanna kick it real old school, an asterism (⁂)) unless you absolutely have to.

In your cited example, I personally would use the same chapter if the first chapter is related to Jim sleeping (also, if it's a dream chapter, I would erase that chapter :) ). Or perhaps if the events of the morning are linked strongly to the events of the chapter before, otherwise, just use text to bridge them if you can. You can use a new chapter too, but avoid having too many short chapters (especially in a row).

4. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

Chapters are extremely flexible, and I use them to pace the reader. Normally, a line break is enough to indicate a logical transition, but you might choose to start a new chapter there as well, depending on the needs of your story.

5. Ettina

Ettina Active Member

I'd say a simple line break. You know, like:

-----------------------------------------------

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah.
    Blah blarg blah blah blah.

Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh.

-----------------------------------------------

The ughs are in the new location. You really don't need anything more.

6. AmsterdamAssassin

AmsterdamAssassin Contributing Member

Also, you don't not require to start a new chapter when you switch POV, you can do that with a line break as well.

Blahblah, Jim was looking out the window at the dark street. Just beyond the streetlights, someone seemed to lurk.
    Standing in the rain, Peter stamped his feet to warm his cold toes and looked up at the window. Jim seemed to look straight at him. He shrunk back into the shadows.