1. Scot McPhie

Scot McPhie Member

What happened to the thread on video clips for your books?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Scot McPhie, Jun 26, 2013.

That was actually a pretty interesting thread - did it get deleted because the opening post was really a thinly veiled ad for his book?

The ensuing discussion however on video trailers for books was pretty good though I thought, and a good topic to discuss -- could it be reinstated without the first ad/post!!

Also on that topic since I'm a newbie here is there a forum where people can spruik about their latest book??

Scot

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

It was flagged as an ad and I deleted it. We don't allow advertisements here, I'm sorry.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what does 'spruik' mean?

this thread probably belongs down in this section:

you can ask a moderator to move it for you...

4. Michael Shaw

Michael Shaw New Member

Sorry, everyone! I started that thread and as a video advertising my own book was germane to the topic, I included it in the post. It was still advertisement though so that is why the thread got removed. I just found out about this and wish I could have edited it out so the thread would stay up. Is that possible?

Michael

5. Scot McPhie

Scot McPhie Member

Spruik means to talk about or promote -- sorry if I've misspelt it - either that or it's an Australian word.

So anyway I take it talking about our own books is out here? The reason why I ask is that I contribute alot to a film making forum and we're regularly posting clips, talking about and even selling our films there - in amongst all the regular discussions on film making technique and gear. In that context it's actually a pretty constructive thing and regularly sparks discussion on further aspects of film making technique - no one is really getting spammed.

Could it not be done here even if it was just in a sub forum so as to keep the other forums clear?

Scot

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I tried after a complaint (and I assume report) was posted in the thread:
    But I don't know if any mods saw my post.

7. Lemex

You can talk about the idea, if you wish to do that then great, but I'm sorry, we just don't allow video links here. Please refer to site rules.

If you want me to reinstate the thread sans the videos then I'm perfectly happy doing that. I'll assume this is what is being asked?

8. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

That's what I had in mind when I posted my question in Daniel's new rules thread. I can't speak for Michael or Scot.

9. Lemex

I'll just assume it is and do just that. Seems fair to me. :)

10. Scot McPhie

Scot McPhie Member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  11. Lemex

It's back up, you guys should be able to see it again.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't have a real objection to established members announcing their successes, and even telling us how to get a copy. However, what we have dealt with in the past is members joining for the sole purpose of hawking their wares, with no intention of taking part in the community. I'm not talking about an occasional jerk, either, but an all-out flood of advertising. Taking a firm stand against advertising has reduced the frequency of those attempts, but the ones who are denied access for their ads have been extremely obnoxious and verbally abusive toward the mod staff, insisting on their right to spam the site for their profit.

IF the site were to permit members to post publication notices and links, it would have to be in a limited quantity, and open only to members who have shown they are here to take part in the site, not merely use it as a marketing tool. Limit it to Senior members, for example. And the moderators would, of course, have the final say on whether the notice goes too far. No ads for professional services, no recruitment ads for outside projects, no ads offering mobile apps or other software products, no job offers for writers.

Members rarely see what a problem would-be advertisers are, because the mods, with help from Daniel in the form of anti-spam measures, generally keep the barbarians outside the moat. And we wouldn't have it any other way.