1. Keelan Goldhallow

Keelan Goldhallow Member

Changing up my writing style...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Keelan Goldhallow, Aug 12, 2016.

I'm currently writing 3 books about nautical adventures, two of which are based on true stories but with a magical twist, and they're all in third person. I'm thinking about changing one of the "true" ones to be more like a journal, or a captain's log. Do you think that's a good idea or not? How would you recommend going about that revision?

2. Sal Boxford

Sal Boxford Active Member

I think trying out different POVs is always a good idea. I'm still pretty new to writing so I rarely have an instinct about how to write a particular piece. I try on different POVs and styles all the time. If your stories border on the fantastic, a first person approach (in my experience) will make them feel a bit more real.

When I've converted a partially written piece from one POV to another, I've tended to start off literally changing all the MC names/pronouns in the original version to "I"/"me" until something jumps out at me as "If this happened to me, I wouldn't describe it like that", and then I start to reimagine it from first principles, and just pop back to the old version whenever I need a reminder of what happens next...

And you might find that 'what happens next' changes when you change POV. It will either occur to you that the MC actually wouldn't do something you thought he/she would when you were writing in third person, or you'll find that some plot point just wouldn't be known to them so you have to figure out how/when they might find out about it, or even whether the reader ever gets to hear about it directly at all.

It's a fun challenge. I highly recommend it.