1. samessex

samessex Member

Chaotic writing style

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by samessex, Nov 29, 2009.

hey guys

I just wondered how you all write?? I feel like I have recently got lots of ideas, and i jot them down in my writing pad, but then never seem to elaborate on them further. I have lots of ideas, but thats all!

Whats people's styles of getting it out of the head and on to the paper so to speak?

thanks

:)

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Usually I'll have a basic idea, which I'll record in a notebook I keep for that purpose, and then elaborate on it a little. Then eventually, I'll get around to writing it, and most of the actual detail of the story will materialise as I'm writing.

I generally write stories in the order that the ideas occur to me, unless I'm writing for something specific, with a deadline (like a contest, or anthology).

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Banzai's way is the same as mind. I get an idea, jot it down, and then expand on it later. I add details and some plot elements as I'm writing rather than having the whole thing in my mind before I start.

4. samessex

samessex Member

thanks guys. that is kind of what i have been doing. ill have a fleeting idea whilst driving to work listening to a particular song, and think ooh thats a good idea!

but havent really had a great deal of time to elaborate on the ideas yet, due to work constraints, but hopefully soon.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

banzai's process is more or less what most serious writers do...

the main thing is to start developing the most promising of the ideas you may have and then don't stop, till you have a finished piece of work...

6. Phantasmal Reality

Phantasmal Reality Contributing Member

Find whatever works for you. Stephen King starts with just his premise and then discovers the story as he writes. Orson Scott Card planned his novel Ender's Game for two years and then sat down and wrote it in two weeks. They're both extreme examples, but the point is that you just have to find what works for you.

As for me, I like a balance between the two. I do some outlining and try to place what I like to think of as milestone "landmarks". My whole story may only consist of three such landmarks--one at the beginning, one at the middle, and one at the end--but they help keep me on track while still allowing me to discover things as I write. It works for me, but may not work for you. Just find what does and stick to it. :-D

7. Jaybrownuk

Jaybrownuk Member

I have a similar problem. I come up with lots of ideas but struggle to develop them. My process of finally getting them out of my head is to go for a short walk, get all the ideas in order, shape them and tie them together then when i return to my desk i start to write a rough draft. :) It's easier said than done however.

8. jwatson

jwatson Active Member

If you struggle to write with the ideas on a pad, I suggest you just write. The ideas will come to you and before you know it, you will love every word. When I really want to plan something out, I'll find I can't think about anything. But then, I'll sit down and just start...anywhere, and it will develop. After I'm done, if it's complete you-know-what, I'll either tweak it, edit it, or go the full yard and re-write the wretched thing. I usually end up re-writing. Not extremely eventful, but not horrible, either.

9. sprirj

sprirj Contributing Member

I have hundreds of ideas, but I always always keep a note book with me to scribble notes, poems, drawings of a scene/character down. But rather than just developing each idea independently I put several ideas I've had together, and thus creating a more unique storyline, as plots tangle and unusal charcters become friends or indeed foes. This inturn sparks development and as I approach the end of chapter 5 (each chapter roughly 7000 words) I have 7 notebooks each packed with ideas, a lot I've not used yet, and some I may never use. But it all feeds into just 2-3 storylines as I combine my ideas into a kind of stew. I know this can get messy and you need to always take control and focus on the end point, but as my book progresses I am able to streamline it more and more and know which ideas to throw away and which ideas I can add to the pot.

10. Operaghost

Operaghost Contributing Member

As already pointed out, Banzai’s idea is what most of us do, and is the same for successful authors, we all have ideas and many of them but the story itself doesn’t flesh out until you are actually writing it, and often you discover that it takes a mind of its own and has little to do with the original ideas you had anyway or has expanded it dramatically, take something like Harry Potter for instance whose original premise was about what it would be like for someone from a normal family to go to a school for magic, Whilst this was included it become so much more than simply a boarding school story in the style of Billy Bunting an co (traditional British literary characters)

11. candafilm

candafilm New Member

Typically I just start writing and let the story develop itself. My novel and the TV pilot I am planning out though. My novel I actually have most of the story in mind already, which is very rare for me. Plus, it will help me write it quicker and easier. I won't fall into the usual trap of writing myself into a corner. The TV pilot is based on an existing novel and it will have investors so I need to have a solid story planned out so not only can the producers present it to them, but it will help in developing future episodes and won't create a convoluted 'Heroes' storyline.