1. maverin1

maverin1 New Member

Hm... What Genre Would This Be?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by maverin1, Aug 15, 2010.

I've been reading about sub genres of fiction and fantasy but cant put my finger on what this idea of mine would be...

It takes place on another world whose intelligent population is completely human.
    It features beautiful city architecture that is elaborate maybe like victorian (i don't really know my architecture styles lol) with the towers and such.
    It has guns but they are primitive single shot weapons like 1700s style i guess. It has limited magic meaning magic is used naturally by gifted people and nobles as well as magic powered minerals and not the common person and the magic is more divine/force oriented i guess you could say rather than elemental based.
    Religion is based around dragon gods/goddesses but other than the few gods/goddesses dragons are extinct and replaced by drakes which are basically giant winged lizards with no high intelligence or fire breath.

Other details would be they do have modernish technologies like airships that work off of the magic minerals rather than electronics and engines. As of yet i am debating putting any steampunk qualities in so we can exclude that for now...

2. caimomile

caimomile New Member

Isn't it... fantasy?

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

On the surface, yes, fantasy. But it could be a romance, or a horror tale, a satire, any number of possibilities, depending on exactly what the story entails.

4. maverin1

maverin1 New Member

Lol sorry i guess i never really asked exactly what i wanted too, what i was curious to know was the sub genre

5. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

The fact that it takes place on another world with magic alone describes it as a fantasy. Without more details on what the story is about, as Cogito said, it could also be a number of different sub genres.

I am curious as to why you are asking? Is the exact genre and sub genre of the story so important?

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I agree that it sounds like fantasy based on what you have posted.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you get it published as a novel, the publisher is likely to decide what genre to market it under, regardless of what you think it is :)

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

as noted above, no one can suggest a sub-genre without knowing something of the storyline...

but now's not the time to be worrying about it... get the book written first... by the time you get the ending down on paper, you probably won't have to ask...

8. erik martin

erik martin Active Member

Fantasy.

9. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Seeing as it takes place in a Victorian-ish Era, it might be steampunk, but most likely just hints of magitek or dungeon punk.